Nine Month Report

Notice: Since some very long topics, like this one, can often have relevant information that is not evident until the end of the topic, we have summarized some of this important information in the below clarification:

After 9 months and 2520 grafts, this patient appears to be experiencing some slow hair growth, which is discussed in this forum thread. The patient did post a single photo in this topic. However, additional photos revealing the patient's progress, including a before photo can be viewed on his hair transplant patient photo album.

Given these additional photos and input from Dr. Epstein, it appears that the patient is experiencing somewhat better growth than could be seen in the first photo posted on this topic.

However, this patient's growth does appear to be slower and thinner than most patients at 9 months. This may be due to his regular wearing of a hair piece, which many physicians believe can inhibit or slow growth. Doctors Epstein, Keene, Konior, and Ron Shapiro were consulted about this case and agreed that regular use of a hair piece covering may indeed slow growth.

In the case of slow growers, final hair transplant results can often be delayed by several months. Therefore we recommend that viewers wait several more months beyond April 14th, 2008 before drawing conclusions about this patients final results.

We appreciate Dr. Epstein's responsiveness to this patient and dedication to quality care he has provided patients over the years. We will be monitoring this patient's progress closely in the coming months.

----------------

Original Thread

----------------

I am really starting to get nervous. Nine months ago I had a HT. I had some of my own hair on the top of my head and received 2520 grafts in the front part of my scalp. I understand that I still have about three months until it has reached maturity but unless there is major thickening in three months this is going to leave me still looking bald and I'm nowhere near ready to remove my hair piece.

I am scheduled for the second procedure May 19. I am supposed to decide if I want the next grafts to go in the front to thicken up the spot where the first procedure was done or put them on the crown or a combination of both. Based on what I see today the only option is to put them in the same location in the front where the first procedure was done. I have a very sparse dusting of hair and the scalp can be easily seen.

Since my hair on the sides and back is so thick I have the dreaded "Bozo Effect" going on. So now I have thick hair on the sides and back and a wispy dusting of hair on the top. I am basically still bald.

I'd be glad to send some photos so I could get some opinions on my progress. Do I click on "add attachment" to post a photo? I'd just like to know if others think there will be a major burst of growth in the next three months or if my grafts weren't all successful. Thanks

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wanthairs

time to do something - -

I had about the same sized procedure as yours, but mine has covered up the mid and frontal 3rd of my scalp fairly well, even though when short it still looks too thin to me...

have you talked to epstein about this? also, do you think maybe wearing a hair piece has slowed down growth ?

I feel for you, truly! That sucks. But, this is why I don't understand why men who have extensive balding do *not* go for mega sessions? I would have gone for the max session possible. Have you considered going to H&W and seeing what the absolute max they can crank out on you is?

I really don't understand why NW5+'s are getting anything shy of 5K in one session (laxity & donor permitting)

rather than going for 2-3 smaller sessions (?)...

TTDS,

Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress so far.

Without seeing any before/after pictures, it would be difficult for us to comment however, I too would be concerned if I felt I had little hair growth at 9 months.

Feel free to attach pictures to this thread (only one can be posted per reply and must be under 300K in size). You can also create a new photo album in the "hair transplant patient photo album" section (each photo must be 500K in size or less) or a hair loss weblog where the photo size limit is larger. Before, immediately postoperative, and your 9 month pictures would be helpful.

Have you talked to Dr. Epstein about this? Before scheduling a second hair transplant, I would consider getting some resolution from the first one, which means 1) giving it a full 12 months and 2) posing your concerns to Dr. Epstein to see what he says as he knows your case.

Also, regarding your hairpiece, have you been wearing it over the transplanted area? How soon did you re-attach it after surgery? I am just hoping that your hairpiece did not affect your hair growth in any way.

I did notify Dr. Epstein of this thread so that he can also do his best to help you and address your concerns.

Let me know what else I can do to help you.

Bill

I've tried sending a couple of photos and it says the upload exceeds the maximum allowed size of 300kb. It indicates my photos are 1171kb. Is there a way to reduce the size of a photo down to 300kb so I can post it? I've never had that problem when sending photos in the past. Thanks

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Here are my nine month results.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Thanks. I just tried something before I read your post. I've never had this kind of trouble trying to post a photo before. It isn't too user friendly. : )

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Bill-if this doesn't work may I just send the photo to you to post? Here is another attempt to reduce the size down to less than 300kb so I can post.

Nine_Month_Results_April_08.bmp

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

WOOOHOOO! That did it. Now-feedback please.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

TTDS,

I'm glad to see that you were able to successfully upload one photo.

It would be helpful however, if you would upload higher resolution photos at varying angles of before, immediately postoperative, and after pictures.

If you need help with this, feel free to email me some photos at help@hairtransplantnetwork.com. Given your higher resolution photos are 1mb a piece, I recommend not sending more than 2 pictures per email.

Thanks,

Bill

I currently wear a hair piece and it is left a little longer because of that. However today I did get it cut shorter on the sides. Even with the hair cut shorter it still looks like I am bald on the top. My hair is very thick on the sides and back so this sparse amount of hair I have on the top isn't going to look any thicker by cutting my sides shorter. Cutting my sides shorter will give me the appearance of less density on the side which would help match the top but I'm not trying to reduce my side density to match the top I want to increase the top density to come somewhat close to matching the sides and that is what my doctor told me would be the result.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

I'm sorry but I don't have any pre or immediatly post op photos. Only my doctor has those. I wear a hair piece so any photos I have of myself are with it on. The only photos taken without it was in my doctor's office until the ones I took today.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

TTDS,

I have notified Dr. Epstein of your concerns by email so I trust he will be adding his input on this thread. Please contact him in order to give him the opportunity to discuss your case publicly and/or post any pictures that shows your preoperative or immediately postoperative condition.

Where exactly were the grafts transplanted? How much native hair did you have before surgery? How soon after hair transplant surgery did you apply the hairpiece?

According to the picture you posted (even though it is small), your hair appears very thin and depending on where the grafts were placed, I too would be concerned about the result.

Bill

TTDS

Here's a way to see if your doc thinks it's acceptable: Send him this photo and have him place it on his site under before and after (2520 grafts).

I'm betting it doesn't get posted.

Keep us advised on your battle.

-KK

I'm glad others are concerned. I didn't want to be a complainer but I felt I should have seen more by now. I have no doubt that Dr. Epstein will take care of me but it is frustrating to have waited this long for such a lack of results. I did email Dr. Epstein this morning with the photos. The grafts were placed in the front third of my scalp. I had a band of native hair across the top so the grafts weren't put there or on the crown just the front portion of my scalp. The hairpiece was put on a couple of weeks after the procedure with Dr. Epstein's permission. It is 100% lace and completely breathable. It is attached with clips which clamp on to my own hair.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Hi

Everyone is not capable of 5k sessions.. No way I could get over 3000 without going out of the safe zone.. My scalp is tight as many others are as well.

9 months is still a bit early.. Doctors do say it can take up to 2 years for some people to 100% mature.. Personally, I think my peak was 14 months .. 2500 grafts is not going to give Elvis hair to a N5.. From my experience , I think minimum is 5k for an illusion of density and that is not even considering hair type, head size, etc..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I hope you do start to grow and get a mad rush of growth but i can see why you are concerned.

Maybe the doctor can post your pictures he took of you.

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

ttds,

Let us know what dr. E says. He's very good and will take care of you. W/ your next HT you really should go for max grafts. 2 or 3 smaller sessions will produce alot of down time and ultimatly cost alot more.

TTDS

There are a few in here who say that even full growth at 2500 will not make a difference.

I mean how carried away are we getting? 2500 was a mega session not too long ago, and people were raving on this site. Now it's nothing?

Go to Epsteins website. Most of his patients are in the 2-3K range.

Did you discuss your goals with Epstein?

Did you leave it up to Epstein to dictate grafts re: goals?

Did Epstein tell you this will make little difference in your look?

Did Epstein tell you you had a limited number of available grafts?

I'm in your exact situation, at 6 months, and I'll be damned if I'm going to be told AFTER the expense and long wait that "oh... by the way you actually wont get an illusion of density" unless you have a certain amount of grafts.

If that's the case, then this should be fully disclosed prior to surgery.

Keep us informed on your progress with growth and what doc says. I will do same. I really hope we are just slow growers.

-KK

KevKristy is right, I do not think 2500 is a small session by any means. I had a 1625 session which made a very nice change.

Doctors/patients who say wait longer than a year to see final results are only partially correct.

A 9-12 months, you should have seen most of the growth come in and have some idea of what things will look like and wha kind of coverage you can expect. After that, hair may grow longer, become softer but most all of those grafts should have sprouted at least by 9-12.

TTDS, your hair looks pretty thick on the sides, you should be a prety good candidate and get good results, I would not go back for round 2 until you see this final result from round 1. Keep us posted.

NoBuzz