Itching in donor area

Guest dude1

I'm 3 months post op and still experiencing considerable itching in my donor area. Fortunately I've been able to resist excessive scratching but nights are the worst. Anyone who has experienced this ... what have you done to alleviate the itching? Is it the healing taking place, possibly dry skin, etc? Has anyone any suggestions for possibly a good moisturizing shampoo- I'm using mild baby shampoo. (by the way the recipient site doesn't itch, so that's a plus! Any suggestions would be most welcome!

I'm 3 months post op and still experiencing considerable itching in my donor area. Fortunately I've been able to resist excessive scratching but nights are the worst. Anyone who has experienced this ... what have you done to alleviate the itching? Is it the healing taking place, possibly dry skin, etc? Has anyone any suggestions for possibly a good moisturizing shampoo- I'm using mild baby shampoo. (by the way the recipient site doesn't itch, so that's a plus! Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Maybe it's the nerves regrowing? Just guessing.

My HT doc suggested Neutrogena shampoo and I've been using them ever since. I had a little itching, and Neutrogena T-gel seems to help with that, though now I usually use their other shampoo products.

Gary

Thanks for your reply. Could be the nerves growing. They say itching is sometimes a sign of healing. I'll try the shampoo you suggested. I'm so thankful it's not in the transplanted area - I wouldn't want to disturb anything there. I have awakened in the night scratching like crazy - funny what we tend to do in our sleep. Fortunately this hasn't happened often. It seems to mostly be near the ends of where the donor strip was taken.

Any doctors who would also care to respond, I'd appreciate it as well

Dude...if your surgery was 3 months ago, I don't think there's anything you can do to damage the graphs. I had my surgery 12 days ago, and my doctor told me that after 3 days, the graphs would be set, and after a week, I can resume normal activity. Also, he said the baby shampoo was needed for only a week, not months.

As for itching...I have some very minor itching, and like you, it seems to be at each end of the incision. But it hasn't become a bother to me at all, so maybe I'm lucky in this respect.