Time to quit Propecia...

Matt Skiba

So far I've been taking this stuff for maybe a week and a half, and I think I just might have to quit. The side effects are somewhat mild, but they hit in the areas that hurt the most...

As of now Propecia has effectively made morning wood a thing of the past for me, this is not cool. I still do get it on occasion, but only at half-strength.

I've been getting some mild and almost unnoticeable testicular pain, but it is still there, and it does worry me.

It feels like it takes me longer to take a piss, and that my body doesn't push it out at high enough pressures, along with a weakened feeling right at the core of my lower torso (I'm pretty sure this is where the prostate is. Feeling anything different in this part of my body is not enjoyable...

And of course, the worst one of them all, decreased libido. I am still nowhere where I could be diagnosed with "erectile dysfunction" but I do notice I just don't get boners or drift off thinking about sex as much as I normally would. I am a kinda guy that will get a boner just sitting around in a room by himself, this just doesn't seem to happen anymore. I have a reduced urge to masturbate now, and the only reason that I have done so since taking propecia was just to make sure my plumbing still works. While doing so, I've found out that my mental imagery just doesn't work at all pretty much, even if it does, it takes a good amount of effort and concentration. Visual aids do work of course, but again, I feel like I need to put in a bit more effort and I also feel like it's a bit harder to maintain. As far as the real deal goes, I am happy to say that it works its way right through any side effects, but I would like to keep it that way and avoid any highly embarassing situations... I honestly haven't noticed things getting any better since I've continued taking the drug, I think they've been getting worse if anything.

I've also been getting some pretty messed up dreams, but I don't know if that really counts.

All in all I've read some of these horror stories about how some guys get afflicted with erectile dysfunction and some other nasty stuff for life, it is truly some scary stuff, especially at a young age... I've also read that it is your hair that is genetically made to fall out, not your dht levels, so in effect by taking finasteride you are causing yourself to have abnormally low DHT levels. I always thought lowering 60-70% serum levels was a bit much.

For me, looking at the mirror and seeing my hairline on the sides go back a bit has been a nightmare I haven't been able to wake up from, it makes me feel like I'm decaying or something. The fact that I'm experiencing such horrible side effects from something that's supposed to fix that brings me close to tears (and if I do cry you can blame the higher levels of estrogen in my body).

So please help me out I have two questions to ask the forum.

1. When coming off of Propecia should I gradually reduce my dosage of it or should I just stop it at once altogether?

2. Are there any supplements or anything that could reduce the risk of any damage being done to my body and promote my hormones to be raging once again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is quite possibly one of the harshest things I've faced my whole life.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hang in there Buddy!!!!!!

I have spoken with a few guys who worried themselves into a state of impotence over the "side effects" of Propecia.

In each case, they stayed the course and things worked out just fine.

While I am NOT stating that you do not suffer from these side effects, a week and a half is a bit quick to start seeing this type of reaction.

I am not a Dr., but what I have told those in your situation is to take a pill every other day..... back down the dosage a bit and see if things return to normal.

Unfortunately we as guys tend to freak out if we have one or two "bad days" icon_mad.gif if our plumbing gets clogged!!!!

Just take it easy and back the meds down for a week---- if you still have the same issues then see your Doc--- if they lessen to a tolerable level keep it like that for a bit and then step up to taking it every day 5-6 months down the road once your body gets used to it.

And as always.... continue to have as much sex as you feel is necessary to deal with this issue---- I'd say 3-4 times a day, if not more icon_biggrin.gif

That seems to cheer everyone up!!!!!!

I hope this helps you out and you feel better buddy!!!!!

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

It feels like I'm the only one who missed out on the side effects. I'm almost disappointed - if anything, my libido's increased in the months since I've started taking finasteride.

I used to be able to come home after work & relax for a bit. Not the case any longer. Real thing's never been bad and there's really not been much change; the main one has been the amount of time I now devote to either thinking about sex or doing something about it.

I'm fairly sure it had to do with the fact that I didn't know about the possible side effects before I started taking it. Most side effect sufferers seems to get affected within minutes of taking the pill.

In fact, I'd bet that most of the folks complaining of libido problems would manifest the same troubles if they were taking M&Ms, provided someone scratched off the "m" and told them it's Propecia.

Hi

I think a week and 1/2 is much too early for these severe side effects but I'm no doctor. I'm sure it takes a while for the finasteride to actually affect the hormones. The ind can play some BIG tricks on you but who knows

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

If it makes you feel any better, I experienced all of the side effects you mentioned and i was pretty scared to be honest.

pain in my nuts, low pressure urine, less frequent erections, reduced semen output, softer erections and loss of libido.

I can tell you that after 6 years of using propecia, nearly everything has reversed back to normal. It reversed after 6 months or so but, I have been on it for over 6 years now and the only remaining issues are watery semen and a somewhat reduced libido..reduced not removed, I still like to crush it as often as i can but, I dont think about it as much.

I say stay the course but, see a Dr to confirm.

I would agree that 1 1/2 weeks is pretty quick to give up. I would second (third, whatever) the idea to see a Doc before giving up.

Nice post balloonmann- I have wondered at times whether i experienced many of the things you mentioned but chalked it up to a mental battle and age. I've been on Finasteride a year and it has provided mild benefit for me so I'm staying with it for the long haul.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Matt, 1 1/2 weeks I think is way too early to experience side effects. I was taking propecia 7 years ago and did the same thing. I went online and read horror stories about E.D. and guys ruining their lives. I thought I was experiencing side effects after three months and stopped taking it. I think it was working too. Anyway, I forgot about propecia until a year ago when I started researching HT's and the Doc said it was probably in my head and to give it another try. He insisted that it is safe. Ive been taking it for a year now without any problems at all.

yucko

I've since taken B-spot's advice and dropped the dosage to once every other day. Everything is pretty normal. I am considering getting an arginine based sexual health supplement just to be on the safe side...

My bottle of spectral dnc just came in today so with using that as well, I have faith that I will see some decent results (I think I have too many vellous hairs without taking anything not to)

So I guess now all I can do is just keep using the stuff and just wait, and hope that I didn't blow all this cash on nothing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...

Alright here's an update...

It didn't take too long, even at the reduced dosage of 1mg every other day, for the side effects to reappear.

This time I also got the aformentioned chunky semen side effect... pretty gross and disturbing.

Luckily the side effects disappeared as quickly as they appeared. Things are pretty good and I feel much better now that I know I don't have any long-term ramifications.

I'm afraid I'm just gonna have to throw in the towel this time. A combination of spectral dnc, xandrox, spironolactone, nizoral, saw palmetto, dr lee's shampoo, and maybe revita should hold off any future hair loss to say the least.

One thing I would advise you try, before you give up, is stay on the meds for 4-5 months despite the side effects. For most people who get the side effects, they go away with time as the body adjusts to being on the meds and re-balances itself.

i was wondering,

what will happen for the long term side affects from propecia?

Any do would say, that if you take any type of meds for a long period of time, can cause lator on in life side affects that we do not know???

can anyone explain??

Originally posted by Charlestr:

i was wondering,

what will happen for the long term side affects from propecia?

Any do would say, that if you take any type of meds for a long period of time, can cause lator on in life side affects that we do not know???

can anyone explain??

First off, your grammar and spelling sucks.

Second of all, I think you're talking about the fact that there isn't much data on what propecia does to people after about 5 or 6 years of use because these studies haven't been made.

Hope that answers your question.

And to youngguy: After two weeks of being off of it and noticing my uncontrollable urges coming back, I would never want things to be any other way again, minoxidil and nizoral seem pretty effective in keeping my hair how it is to say the least. strangely enough, mpb doesn't really seem to run in my family, not before the age of 30 at least, I still have no idea how I ended up with a (slightly) receding hairline at age 19. I think for that reason I was in denial of it for a while, even my mom couldn't believe it. Hopefully my genes will give me a bit of an advantage. I just hope I can succesfully maintain until a cure comes out, if I make any progress I'll post some pictures...

thanks for the feedback,

sorry for the spelling, from the last time.

going to the subject regarding long-term side effects if you use more than 5 to 6 years.

i'm curious about the data coming out for more than 5 to 6 years!

just letting you know, i'm getting my 5 hairtransplant. 3000 graft more!

i have tried propecia for 3 months, and thought about the longterm side effects. so i stopped.

I seemed to have an increase in libido after 2 months of taking Propecia. I think the comment Young guy made is spot on.

This is what he said & I agree 100%.

"Quote"

In fact, I'd bet that most of the folks complaining of libido problems would manifest the same troubles if they were taking M&Ms, provided someone scratched off the "m" and told them it's Propecia

Matt, sorry to hear your still experiencing these side effects bro.

I wonder if what would happen if you tried to Dutasteride?

I haven't heard much info on those who cannot take Propecia and then try Dutas.

It would be interesting to see if you respond to one and not the other.

I am sorry for you bro'

I hope you tried having sex 3-4 times a day at least!!!!!!

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I would rather not try dutasteride since it's even stronger than fin and would probably just annihilate me..

The good news I have is that after going on about 2 months on spectral dnc minoxidil and nizoral I am already starting to see regrowth... to the point where I think I might even be able to spike up my hair nicely in a few more months, but like I said I'm barely an nw2 and hairloss doesn't run heavily in my family. Also I think it is very easy for men to be in denial at my stage of hair loss...

I also bought a thing of rogaine just because I ran out of dnc and I didn't wanna be off of minoxidil for the time I had to wait to get a hold of a credit card and order another thing of the stuff, I'd like to state that in my opinion spectral messes your hair up a lot less than rogaine and even works as something of a styling aid.

I will be ordering a thing of xandrox15 to apply at the nighttime and if things continue going the way they are right now then maybe, just maybe, I might have a nice hairline on par with that of a flamboyant metrosexual.

One thing that's very unfortunate is I think I still haven't fully recovered from some of the propecia sides. I feel like things went to being totally normal soon after I stopped taking it, but then my libido went somewhere to being in between where it was on the pills and before I ever took it. I'm thinking about getting myself some of those liver detox tablets and perhaps some GABA, fish oil, 5-htp, and DHEA supplements just to get things as normal as possible, but don't get me wrong, I still get intense boners every now and then, I just feel like I don't get the urge to masturbate as often as before... this morning I had a wet dream for the first time since I was like 13. I do have faith in the recovering capabilities of the human body and I'm sure with the right amount of effort and research I can make myself look and feel better than ever before. Hell if people can beat cancer, I can beat baldness and minor propecia side effects!

My advice (especially to those that are younger) is to look into topicals and see how they work out before trying the pills. Sure a pill may be more conveniant to take, but think of all the make up that women put on every day, I think coming into the 21st century we're approaching an age where men care just as much about how they look as women do, and if magazines or the popular media is any indicator you can tell that men are gradually starting to look more and more feminine. So my suggestion is you get with the program. icon_wink.gif

All in all I'm pleased to say that in the short time-span of 2 months my temples are almost fully restored and I'm already seeing a peach fuzz outline of a fully restored hair-line and there are some new terminal hairs popping up. Looking at some pictures I posted on this forum a while ago I know for sure I am not imagining this. If all goes well I will be happy to post some pictures in 2 or 3 months and prove that it is in fact possible to cure a receding hairline without surgery or even propecia.

Hi Matt

I am glad for you but it seems 2 months is a bit soon for drug related results..As far as side effects, do you thing they might be psychological? The mind can play some big tricks on you ..

You should post some pics

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by Mrjb:

Hi Matt

I am glad for you but it seems 2 months is a bit soon for drug related results..As far as side effects, do you thing they might be psychological? The mind can play some big tricks on you ..

You should post some pics

I do think it might be psychological, but regardless it is still something I'm having a bit of trouble getting past, it could be on the subconcious level..

As for the sex 3 times a day, I think that could work nicely as a therapy hah, but unfortunatley I don't have a steady enough girlfriend for that..

• 4 years later...

I have been on Propecia for 10 years and have suffered side effects to the degree that now I want to try getting off of it to see if there will be a difference. What I don't know is how it will effect my hair. I have had about 3000 grafts over 10 years ago. I am very happy with my hair today. Does anyone know the effect it will have on me if I stop taking it???

I know you were hoping for a different answer, but at least you know and can plan for it. Bottom line is if you are having side effects that bother you, it may not be right for you. How much do you take? I know some people have lowered the amount they take and the side effects go away. You could try every other day or a MWF routine if you have not done so, and the side effects may go away and you keep your hair.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

I have been having side effects for years and the older I get the more it has increased.

I have been on it for over 10 years and take 1mg a day. I have already started every other day. From reading the forum I see people trying what you suggest. I will see what happens

and expand the distance between pills and see what happens. Thanks for your insights.

:)

Propecia's half-life is actually longer than some other medications, and it takes longer to metabolize than many, too. As such, you can go longer between doses if it's already in your system. However, if you stop altogether due to side effects, it'll take a while to over them. On the other hand, side effects happen gradually, so if you noticed something very real and very immediate, it could (for argument's sake) be psychosomatic.