Bosley or MHR

Hi, I'm 21 years old looking to get a Hair Transplant. I want my front part denser and I want to lower my hairline a little bit. I met up with the cosmetic guys from both Bosley and MHR. My question is which one is better? What is the difference between the two?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey PowerRanger,

The casual manner in which you are speaking about hair transplantation suggests to me that you might not be aware of what's really at stake here. Secondly, many people feel that Bosley and MHR are made up of cookie-cutter hair transplant clinics. It would be in your best interest to consult the doctors recommended by this community before you proceed with anything. It is understandable that you are trying to attack your hair loss concerns now, but a little more research on your part will shed some light on the controversy surrounding hair restoration and the younger patient. There may be options for you, but "cosmetic guys" or salespeople who represent Bosley are not the best judges of this. Also, read this:

"Am I Too Young For a Hair Transplant?"

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=152790

You have come to the right place for guidance. icon_wink.gif

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Both companies are owned by the same Japanese parent company.

For all intents and purposes, they are the same company.

That is to say, they are now sharing the same cookie cutter icon_biggrin.gif

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hi youngsuccess,

Thanks for replying so fast to me. I read that link of yours and it is was kinda like what the cosmetic guy at Bosley said. He said that because of my young age he only wanted to give me 700 hairs and want me to start taking Procecia to stop further hair loss. Apparently, the doctor who will be working on me has very good credentials. He has an MD from Washington University in St. Louis as well as a Masters in Public Health so he must be pretty good. The cosmetic guy at MHR was going to give me 1000 hairs but didn't say too much. I looked at the list of doctors that you mentioned. But there was no one in Arkansas so I just booked a hair transplant with Bosley for next month.

The B spot,

Sorry ... I didn't quite understand what you said. How can Bosley and MHR be the same company?

Hey PowerRanger,

No problem, but I am not the author of "Am I Too Young...", the thread was started by Bill. It is a commonly referred to link because it outlines the basic questions that should be raised regarding HT in younger patients. Hair transplantation is complex; in fact, it's so complicated that seemingly impressive medical credentials alone do not ensure a good result... there are so many factors to be considered here.

I honestly don't even know where to begin, but I think that other posters will join in and help explain the potential for disaster here. I don't want to tell you what to do; however, I think 99% of the people who regularly contribute to this site would advise you not to go with Bosley. I don't think it's a good idea. If for the sake of argument you had arranged treatment with a Coalition surgeon, it would be different, even though that might not make much sense to you right now. I mean, it sounds like the guy you spoke with has some sense of the ethical issues involved, with recommending a small number of grafts and Propecia use. But even if this turns out to be a good beginning strategy, (if many factors have been considered), the work that you might have done could turn out to be crappy (the way it will look). Don't you think that it's strange that you didn't personally meet with the doctor who will be performing your surgery? This always should be interpreted as a bad sign. I urge you to read more about the criteria that is used for selection here.

Not trying to be preachy, because I know that you feel confident in your decision. But at least wait to here some other replies. Believe us, there is no unwarranted bias against Bosley for no reason. Bosley looks great on infomercials, but in reality, the company has not proven to yield consistently good results in a variety of patients, at least nothing compared to the doctors recommended here. Aw hell, even if they were "good", you want outstanding- you will live with the work for the rest of your life. Again, I am just scratching the surface here- more clarification will follow I'm sure. Also, could you try posting some pictures or elaborating more about the state of your hair? This would help out too. icon_wink.gif

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

PowerRanger,

Welcome to our community.

Can I be blunt?

Cancel with Bosley and do some more research. I'm not stating that you WON'T get a quality transplant with Bosley, but the chances that you will are minimal.

Bosley and MHR are known as Hair Mills - excellent at advertisement, poor on delivery of results. How do I know this? I've been around this community and others for almost 3 years now, and the majority of posts about Bosley and MHR from former patients have been negative and most are looking for repair work.

Don't just take my word for it....do a "find" on this community and lookup "Bosley" or "MHR" and read what other real patients have to say. Then do a search for any of our coalition doctors found here: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp and read what real patients have to say about them.

For starters...do you know what it takes to make a great HT physician?

Does your doctor use the latest technologies and techniques such as ultra-refined follicular unit hair transplantation?

Definition by Joe Tillman: Ultra Refined HT: Hair transplant performed with microscopes to dissect excess tissue away from separated follicular units and implanted with the smallest incision possible for the resulting "grafts".

See the below thread:

What is Ultra-Refined Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) and how does Recipient Incision Size relate?

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=569...1034923&r=4041044923

See also, the following:

What should I consider when researching hair transplantation?

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=569...071019713#5071019713

How do I choose a hair transplant doctor?

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/346...431091313#4431091313

I hope these threads help.

Bill

P.S. Youngsuccess...thanks for posting a link back to my thread.

hi youngsuccess,

thanks so much again for relying. I can try to find a pic as you said, but I don't have too many good pics of myself. I guess I never thought about meeting the actually doctor as you said. I didn't went to a clinic per say but to an office and I don't think the doctor was there or something. I just thought you to primarily deal with the cosmetic guys. Is that standard practice?

Hi Bill,

thanks for welcoming me and for all the information. I used the find function and looked up Bosley and MHR and I guess there some bad stuff about them. I guess I never knew. But I think I saw a recent posters who had some good experience with MHR.

I guess I don't know actually what technology the doctor at Bosley is using. But the cosmetic guy showed me a dozen photos which looked pretty good.

This list of coaliton doctors. What is this exactly? Is it some sort of an organization? None of them are in Arkansas though.

I am reading some of your other links. Lots of good stuff, but it is all so overwhelming. I thought going for an hair transplant would be like going to the dentist but it sounds like it's more like going into brain surgery. I really don't know what to do now. icon_frown.gif

PowerRanger,

You can get a less expensive/much better HT with one of the recommended surgeons---you most likely will NOT get a quality job from one of the hair mills, and they may even end up making you look worse. Remember, word of mouth should always be worth more than a piece of paper or some bogus "award" that may be shown to you.

Do yourself a favor & listen to the folks here. Most have been in your shoes & are trying to save you from making a rash decision that you may soon regret. Good luck.

Hi Rhodeman,

THank you for replying to me. I don't if you perhaps can answer some of the questions I mentioned to others earlier?

I'm hear to listen. But the recommended doctors that you all talk about are not near me. How are they suppose to evaluate me? By me sending pictures? Is that really a good idea?

PowerRanger,

Never choose a clinic based on convenience of location. many people travel across country to see a world reknowned physician. Believe me...it's worth the extra money...it's your head.

Unfortunately, not all surgeons can be measured equally. Typically, many doctors who are starting out work at Bosley or MHR.

You have to learn that this is about risk management. If you do research on bosley and mhr and see 5 good results and 5 bad ones - your odds of getting a successful transplant is the same as tossing a coin. Therefore you are at high risk for spending a lot of money on something that is not quality.

Of COURSE Bosley is going to show you impressive before/after photos? Have you ever seen their commercials? They SELL it like it's going to the dentist...and they make it look like a completely bald person can get a full head of hair. It's not possible.

I am actually glad that I've overwhelmed you...

There is a lot of information to know before going into one of these places. You should understand and KNOW the product you are buying into. Yes...the end result should be more hair, but there is a lot to understand about this process.

Regarding the coalition doctors - yes, it is a membership that only the best doctors can enter into. These doctors must meet a high level of standards found here: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...ership-standards.asp in order to keep their existing membership.

There are other memberships out there, like the IAHRS (International Association of Hair Restoration Surgeons) that don't have any standards to enter in except paying a fee and holding a medical degree. Be careful if any clinic tries to use that as their selling point as why you should come to them.

My advice...

Take the time to research about Hair Transplantation. What is it? What are it's benefits and limitations? What are the risks?

Bill

PowerRanger,

At the very least, I'd implore you to do an online evaluation with a Coalition Doctor; you will get a thoroughly honest, and enlightened opinion which you can then act upon.

See what an elite doctor has to say with regard to your viability; depending on what they have to say (one thing may be that they would want you on propecia/rogaine for 6+months and then a further evaluation), come to a stronger conclusion as to whether or not you should be getting an HT now.

Imo, I wouldn't trust Bosley's evaluation in the least...let alone would I actually let them perform such a life-altering surgery on me!

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Hi Bill,

thank you for replying to me again and for your advice. I read about the criteria for being on this coalition and it sounds very good. I've been trying to read further and understand some of the other links you advise me too read. Again everything is so overwhelming, but let me try regurjitate what I've and tell if I'm on the right track:

-Today hair transplant are not plugs but they remove single hairs.

-the benefit is that with that technique you can get a natural look. The limitations are.... it is very technically challenging?

-the risk involved is that hair loss is unpredictable and so start off conservatively when young?

Have I missed anything? Also you mentioned about Joe Tillman. Who is he? Is he a good hair transplant Doctor?

thanatopsis_awry,

Thank you so much for replying to me. I've looked at the coalition doctors recommended on this sight. No one are near where I live and the closest coalition doctor that is recommended on this website is:

Dr. Lawrence Samuels

so you are saying I should ask his input? How am I suppose to do this? With pics? Won't it be hard for them to evaluate me if Dr. Samuels's clinic don't see me in person?

Lastly I would like to thank everyone who has replied to me and for helping me.

PowerRanger,

Follicular Unit Transplantation is the current technique - that is, removing follicular units (hairs as they grow naturally in bundles of 1s, 2s, 3s, and 4s).

Yes, this is much more natural than plugs or mini-grafts that CONTAIN follicular unit grafts.

The limitation of an HT is that, unless you only experience minimal loss of hair your whole life, you will never be able to achieve a FULL head of hair. One can hope to achieve an illusion of density (about 50% of your original density) in order to achieve a pleasing result. Those with a lot of hairloss must wrestle between whether they want full coverage or a lot of density. Those with high norwood levels cannot achieve both with a finite donor supply.

Joe Tillman is a fellow member of this community (known as JoTronic) and consultant for Hasson and Wong (one of our clinics on the coalition - Dr. Hasson and Dr. Wong are excellent surgeons along with the other members of the coalition).

Keep in mind, Dr. Samuels is on our recommended list, however, he is not a coalition doctor.

The main difference between our coalition doctors and recommended doctors has to do with dense packing and larger sessions. Coalition doctors will do larger sessions and dense packing when appropriate for the patient, whereas recommended doctors do solid FUT work, but typically do smaller sessions and not a lot of dense packing, even when it could be considered appropriate.

Many doctors can do virtual consultations through their website as long as you send high quality photos of your hair loss and donor area.

Bill

hi Bill,

thanks so much again for your reply and helping me out. oh i didn't realize there was a difference between a coalition doctor and recommended doctor. My sense is that coalition doctors are better? Because there are fewer of them and the criteria is higher? What exactly is dense packing?

If I pick a coalition doctor that leaves me with even less numbers of doctors to choose from. But how am I suppose to decide which coalition doctor? I hear Dr. Hasson is mentioned several times. I guess he is one of the better ones out there? Who else are good? I hear also a lot about Dr. Keene in this forum, I assume he is also very good?

Thank you again.

WOW !! Just Imagine what an MHR dr.. would have done to this veal. Time for some tough love though. That's all folks.....

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

Guest wanthairs

powerranger.....

thank your lucky stars that you found this site before you got a procedure with a company that has recieved numerous complaints, lawsuits from many people who are disfigured for life.....

There are VERY VERY FEW good transplant doctors and almost all the members of this site have been patients who can give good or bad recomendations. After 9 months go by I am going to see my results and if they are crap i will let everyone know about it and vice versa if they are good (so far its all good) we put alot of pressure to keep doctors on their toes performing the highest level work and if they botch up they get kicked off this site and everyone gets to know about it......Be prepared to travel.....this is too important to be naive about.

If possible get onto finasteride/minoxidil and nizoral shampoo to try and stabilise your hairloss...DO ALOT OF RESEARCH>>>>DONT TAKE ANY SHORT CUTS

Power Ranger,

I also live in Arkansas. You might try Dow Stough in Hot Springs or go to Oklahoma City to Dr. Blaine Lehr. Dr. Lehr did mine, a good job, very reasonably priced. Dr. Stough is good from what I hear, but his costs are considerably higher.

If you want info about Dr. Lehr, provide an email.

What area of the state are you?

Originally posted by Aquarius:

WOW !! Just Imagine what an MHR dr.. would have done to this veal. Time for some tough love though. That's all folks.....

Aquarius, where the hell have you been?? This one is right up your alley, give em both barrels!

NoBuzz

Aquarius,

You're making me crave some parmagiana.....lol

PowerRanger, at the very least, you should get some online consults with the coalition docs to hear what they have to say. As far as the travel goes, it's cheap money compared to what's at stake. A lot of the docs will reimburse you for some of the airfare & will cover the room, depending on the number of grafts that you receive. I personally flew to Vancouver from the east coast for my 2nd HT, & wish I had found this site before my first one.

While you may have fewer docs to chose from if you pick a coalition doc, it beats the alternative. You can pay them to do the initial work, or you can pay them to do the repair work.

Agreed.

POWERANGER:

It's not what you want to hear, but unfortunately hair loss ALWAYS gets worse for the rest of your life once it starts. The only question is how much worse and how quickly or slowly will it happen.

The hair transplant industry is a VERY risky place. It has had some success stories, but it has also left TONS of dissatisfied men with heads in worse shape than if they'd never gotten a hair transplant at all. And the damage cannot ever be reversed with any plastic surgery methods currently known. You're just screwed for life in these cases. It's not a matter of throwing more money at it. (Ever wonder why Donald Trump wears his hair so weird? His scalp is butchered with some bad hair surgery back in the '80s, and his awful combover is done to try and hide it. Not even Trump can buy his way out of a bad hair transplant decision earlier in life.)

The reason everyone on here is steering you away from going ahead with a Bosley HT is because you sound like you're headed for the same common mistake that has been happening for decades. This mistake makes the "hair mills" a lot of money at the expense of the patient. It can leave the patient anywhere from dissatisfied to downright disfigured.

The earlier your hair loss shows itself, the more significant it will probably be over the course of your life. There's only a finite amount of hair that you can ever get transplanted or else the back/sides will be too thin to hide the scars. If you use up all that "donor hair" too early in life (before you know just how much of your head will eventually need transplanted hair on it). then you're screwed. You could end up with a ton of thick hair in the front of your head and a bald head behind it!

And what's worst of all?

Well, once you get your first hair transplant, you can't ever shave your head down buzzed/bald again. The HT scars will show if you do. So if you get an unsatisfactory job of hair transplants and decide "Screw it, I give up, I'm just gonna abandon the hair and do the Bruce Willis look" . . . you can't! The back of your head is embarrassingly scarred-up for life, even though the transplants may not have turned out well enough to be worth it! You just have to keep wearing that "horseshoe" of non-balding hair on the back/sides for the rest of your life, even though you'd probably look a lot cooler with it all buzzed off.

This is why everyone is telling you to be so cautious about getting any hair transplants. It's truly a "one way street" that you can't change your mind about. Your head is scarred after the first one whether you eventually come to regret it or not. At age 21, it's too early to really predict how extensive your "balding area" will eventually become as you get older. (It's pretty hard to judge this issue before you're 26-30 years old. Even then, waiting until 35 years old is still a lot safer.) And without that knowledge, it's hard to pick out the correct hairline that is safe enough to leave plenty of donor hair for your later hair loss that hasn't happened yet.

----------------------------------------------------

HI yall (youngsuccess, the B spot, Bill, Rhodeman, thanatopsis_awry, Aquarius, wanthairs, 10 years out, nobuzz4me, folica and calvinmd),

First of all thanks so much for replying to do and for helping me out. The more and more I'm reading about things the more and more FRUSTRATED and CONFUSED I am about all this. It's just that I've been working and saving up so hard for over a year and half, getting a 2nd job at night waiting tables just to get this hair transplantation with Bosley or MHR. I want a hair transplantation so I can get more girls. I haven't been with a girl for ages. Now I'm worried that if I cancel the lady I corresponded with in the front is going to keep my $2500 deposit. For those of you who just replied to me I wrote a message back asking questions to each of you:

Hi Aquarius,

I guess I don't know where your coming from.... uh.... What do you think I should do? BTW I really like your logo. Is that Torch from the Fantastic 4 movie?

Hi wanthairs,

Thank you so much for replying to me. Wow everyone who is replying is painting such a bad pic about Bosley and MHR.... I guess I nevered realized they were that bad after seeing a lot of impressive before/after pics from the cosmetic guys. My question is if Bosley and MHR so bad how come they are still in business?

Nobuzz4me,

Hi how are you. I take it you know Aquarius? In fact all you guys all talk like you know each other?

RHodeman,

Thanks so much for replying to me again. I think it is a good advice from you for me to do a consult with the coalition doc. But which one do I start with? Which doctor did you go to and did he do a good job on you?

10 years out,

Thanks for replying to me and thanks so much about telling me about a doctor in Arkansas. Dr. Dow Stough in Hot Spring looks like a good guy. Does anyone else hear of him? I had met up with the cosmetic officers of Bosley and MHR in Little Rock, but I'm currently doing some contract work in Pocahontas rightnow, however in a few months time I'm planning to move to Monticello tostart college part time. I also visit my mother alot who lives in Arkadelphia (my parents are divorced).

Yes if you can send me more information about Dr. Lehr that would me help. my email is: Chucky_Lee.Hunter@yahoo.com

folica,

Hi how are you. So what if I like Power Rangers? What's that got to do with anything?! icon_mad.gif

Calvinmd,

Thanks so much for replying to me. It's mighty nice of you to write a of info. I have though some questions for you. I understand there is finite donor. THe cosmetic officer at Bosley explained that to me but he also said that even if someone becomes a Norwood Hair Scale of 7 there is still enough donor hair to cover the frontal third easily and make it look natural. I mean I have seen people which some hair in frontal third but bald in mid and crown, that looks natural. And another thing: why isn't an option for me to shave my head after a hair transplantation?! I know that there will be a thin scar. But what is the big deal with that? I'll just look like a boxer or something.

Thanks so again yall for helping me out. Yall are might king for taking the time to reply to me. I've asked some question to yall and hope you can reply back so I can understand things a bit better. Again I'm so confused right now and I don't know what to do icon_frown.gif

PowerRanger,

I think, generally speaking, the point thats trying to be made is this -- HTs are a very serious, life altering procedure that have a history (past, present, and most likely future) that is filled with stories that range from unsatisfactory to horrific! It is of the utmost importance that not only is your procedure itself performed by an expert doctor, but also one who happens to have your overall best interest in his mind and isn't merely trying to get you in, perform, make a buck, rise and repeat.....when you go to a place like Bosley you are making a fairly substantial gamble that the aforementioned will not be working in your favor.

The fact that you are so young creates an even murkier picture where it is even more important that a truly elite doctor is assessing your situation and has your best interest in mind and in check. At a place like Bosley, not only will you be gambling with whether or not you are viable and/or getting a proper diagnosis....but, even if you happen to be viable and get properly assessed it, it is no guarantee that the work done to you will be of a high caliber. With the doctors mentioned within this thread these doubts will be put to rest.

You mention that you want more girls; understandable, and I hear ya. But, the potential ramifications of getting an improper HT done will wreak havoc like you prolly' don't yet understand.

As well, as to why Bosley is in business? They don't break the law, and run a business based upon smoke and mirrors, lots of hype, and a revolving door of clientele.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

folica,

Hi how are you. So what if I like Power Rangers? What's that got to do with anything?!

I really do apologize, It was my smart ass way of saying you are to young.

And after reading your post just now I want to get serious and say I'm sorry I was short & rude by making that comment.

I just have seen so many guys your age looking to get a HT.

After giving all of the reasons why they shouldn't I guess thats why I answered the way I did.

Wow, you are working an waiting tables at night, saving up for a year and a half to get a HT with Bosley or MHR.

Also that you have a $,2500 deposit at stake.

I really feel like a heal now for my insensitive response! icon_redface.gif

I haven't seen a pic or know the extent of your hairloss, but like everyone eles has said, the age thing is a factor & so is the clinic choice.

If you can, get your money or part of it back & think a while longer how to go about this.

I know it sucks to wait, but it is better than having your virgin scalp worked on by anyone less than a great surgeon as recommened on this forum.