Pat - Community Publisher

Visit to Dr. Tim Carman in La Jolla, California

In November of 2006, when I visited Dr. Bill Reed's office, Dr. Tim Carman was nearing the completion of his one year fellowship in hair transplantation (to view the highlights visit http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=146822 . Dr. Carman had an impressive background and had the good fortune to work with and learn from one of the very best hair transplant physicians in the world, Dr. Bill Reed.

Given Dr. Carman's strong background in plastic and reconstructive surgery and his artistic talents he was a natural at hair restoration and has since joined Dr. Reed's practice, La Jolla Hair Restoration. Dr. Reed also entrusted Dr. Carman with performing his last hair restoration procedure. Dr. Carman is a native of La Jolla.

Dr. Tim Carman shares Dr. Reeds philosophy of putting the patient's best interest above technical dogma and as well as his intense compassion and commitment.

In addition to a medical background that includes experience in plastic and reconstructive surgery, Dr. Carman has a strong interest in painting, sculpting and music composition. He enjoys the artistic aspects of hair transplantation and his careful attention to detail was very evident when I watched him perform surgery.

On the day of my visit, Dr. Carman performed a crown restoration surgery in which he carefully recreated the crown whirl. He, like Dr. Bill Reed, used very small needles to create incisions as small as 0.7mm.

Dr. Carman took a great deal of time and care in removing a long and narrow donor strip, which measured 28 cm long by 1 cm wide. The donor density was lower than average and yielded 2,066 follicular unit grafts - consisting of 398 ones, 1,459 twos and 209 three and four hair grafts. The experienced staff then placed these grafts into the crown area.

Dr. Carman performed a trychophytic closure using the beveled ledge technique advocated by Dr. Paul Rose. The closure and surgical pattern of the grafts was excellent in my opinion.

Overall I'm impressed with Dr. Carman's passion and commitment to hair transplantation. I also appreciate his active sharing of his expertise on our discussion forum. I look forward to seeing many examples of his impressive results in the months and years to come.

8781083183_A0592ECE1CE64C0A1650C65E0B7CA764.jpg.thumb 7781083183_4E2EF10F5E1C0CFD0553BDECEA91024B.jpg.thumb 6781083183_4B8AE33849D87E19A0204A47B296FBB1.jpg.thumb 5781083183_E3096115FB9E33E49AF06A1370AD2507.jpg.thumb 4781083183_D7F3411290F48F1A95B5EAC1EA3EB994.jpg.thumb 3781083183_836EAFAE878DF188A49CCA20883C0728.jpg.thumb 2781083183_ED46D893199B3E32FF48CB5C3C05BEB3.jpg.thumb 1781083183_33E6A75041A44E002009E0502856F9E5.jpg.thumb

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

View some of the Leading Hair Transplant Clinics that I have visited.

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

That crown work looks good. I have a double whirl in my crown, so I hope to go after it next time around to get it back to it's full glory.

The dumbass who did my procedure 20 years ago put what looked like two hairlines in my crown filled with 6 and 8 graft plugs.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Pat,

Thanks for providing a detailed writeup of your visitation with Dr. Carmen. I've also had the privilege of speaking with him numerous times, learning more about his ultra refined techniques. His passion for his work really comes out when talking with him and from the posts on this forum.

These surgical pictures look good. I look forward to seeing more of Dr. Carman's patient results.

Best wishes,

Bill

hi all, i just wanted to say that i just went to dr. carman's office today for a consultation. i went after reading a lot of what this forum wrote about dr. carman and dr. reed. i e-mailed both doctors and dr. carman sent quite a few detailed responses to my questions so i booked the appointment with him.

like bill says, he was very passionate about his work and wanted to be very thorough in his explainations about how he did the procedure and showed me photographic examples. he took a lot of time with me and didn't rush me and allowed me to ask as many questions as i wanted.

he gave me a prescription for proscar (finasteride) and i hope that can buy me some time until a hair transplant. and when that time comes, i would feel very comfortable going back to dr. carman after all that i read here, and saw of his work, and after meeting with him.