which surgeon to go for

hair club as in....HAIR CLUB FOR MEN?!? icon_eek.gificon_mad.gif

I don't know the Houston/Texas area, so someone else can assist in giving you some ELITE...PROVEN...CONSISTENT....DEVOTED....surgeons that are in closest proximity to you.

In any case, be extremely cautious in who you pick -- even if I or anyone else tells you to look into a certain doc...look into him on your own, and research ad nauseum until you really understand what the procedure is like...the recovery...and, of course, what type of results you can expect!

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Originally posted by hariback:

Hi, I visited hair club in Houston for the first time. Dr. Robert E Mcclellan is the primary surgeon their. He says he has done over 10,000 hair transplants. Can someone recommend good surgeon in Houston >

Check out Brad Limmer?? I think he is in he area.

10,000 surgeries is hard to believe. icon_rolleyes.gif Even still, it is quality vs quantity!

NoBuzz

Hi, I visited hair club in Houston for the first time. Dr. Robert E Mcclellan is the primary surgeon their. He says he has done over 10,000 hair transplants. Can someone recommend good surgeon in Houston >

Check out Alexander in Arizona or the guy in Vegas.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

hairback,

Welcome to our forum community.

As some of our dedicated forum members has already mentioned, physician selection is vital to ensure a successful hair transplant experience.

In Texas, I would consider consulting with and researching Dr. Brad Limmer and Dr. Bobby Limmer, both elite members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians. To read Pat's (our community Publisher) detailed review of his visitation with their clinic while watching a live performed surgery, click here.

Feel free to use the "find" feature of this community to see what their patients are saying.

You are encouraged to research all physicians you are considering.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 1 month later...

I live in Austin and just went to see 1 of the top physicians in the country on nerve entrapment down in Houston. It's only 2 hours out of the way to see the best. I can tell you that my experience with Dr. Limmer in San Antonio was great. Make the drive!

Originally posted by GregSantiago:

I live in Austin and just went to see 1 of the top physicians in the country on nerve entrapment down in Houston. It's only 2 hours out of the way to see the best. I can tell you that my experience with Dr. Limmer in San Antonio was great. Make the drive!

Hey Greg,

Have you created a weblog? I'd like to see some pics from a Dr. Limmer patient, as I've never seen anything from those guys in Texas.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

I don't know about elite. I certainly wouldn't put them in the same group as Hasson&Wong. My experience 10 years ago wasn't that great. Their web site lacks numerous clients' pics and of course Brad has just recently bee doing hts. When I got my ht, he was still in med school. Although, I must admit Dr Brad Limmer is a very nice guy.

Oh, and by the way they don't do mega sessions. However, if you're looking for someone that doesn't shave the recipient area they will accommodate you.

Anouar,

I believe that all physicians of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians are en elite group as they have been privately and publicly scrutinized and personally visited and evaluated by Pat. See our high level of membership standards here. See also Pat's visitation to leading hair transplant clinics.

Certainly there are variations within the Coalition including philosophies, years of experience, size of staff, and all of this should be considered when selecting a physician. But in my opinion, all of them do superior work in this industry.

Best wishes,

Bill

Here is a hypothetical situation. You live in San Antonio 15 minutes from limmer. You are a Norwood 3 needing around 3500-4000 grafts. Would you go to Limmer who would break it doing into 2 or 3 sessions or would you opt to take a flight to Hasson&Wong and getting done in one shot? Who do you think is more elite in this situation?

IMO, there won't be an answer to that question that is 100% correct. My advice is to research on this forum, including Dr. websites, and view the debates between surgeons.

Both sides have compelling arguments. Obviously you wouldn't want five sessions of 1,000 each. However, there is a different school of thought on whether one session of 5,000 is in fact better than two sessions of 2,500.

Personally, it makes more sense to me to go with two sessions in that scenario; but my next transplant will be my first.

You would think the yields and artistic value would be better by breaking a 5,000 session into two. However, the healing, trauma, expense and scar would perhaps be better with just the one session.

There are some good topics on this if you use the "Find" feature above. Also, Dr. Bernstein I believe (or Beahner) has an excellent website with lots of educational material there.

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

dewayne, go tell that to hasson&wong. You think they sacrifice artistic value and yield. Strip is serious business. I did it once and it wasn't too pleasant. I only got a 1000grafts hardly a cosmetic difference. I'd rather go mega and get the coverage I need rather than something thin.

anouar,

i got that directly from their office. someone on here said they only did fue which i thought was odd so i called them and someone in the office confirmed this. however, i just spoke with them again and now they said strip only. her explanation was the person who answered the phone may have thought i said "FUT."

either way, check this from their fact page:

Q: How long does the procedure take?

On the average, six to seven hours for 1000 grafts.

if that's the case then i think the limmer's are a bit outdated as top strip docs like feller, h&w etc. are doing megasessions in roughly the same amount of time....

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Originally posted by Anouar:

dewayne, go tell that to hasson&wong. You think they sacrifice artistic value and yield. Strip is serious business. I did it once and it wasn't too pleasant. I only got a 1000grafts hardly a cosmetic difference. I'd rather go mega and get the coverage I need rather than something thin.

Well, since I loooove to argue here goes:

In my example I used 2,500, which is quite a bit different than the 1,000 you referenced. If you read my post, I even say you wouldn't want 5 sessions of 1,000 grafts. I don't even understand why you would use your example after that.?.>

Secondly, H&W are excellent but I think they too would put out a better job artistically by doing 2 sessions of 2,500. Now, based on the trauma (which you adequately pointed out), costs, etc. obviously a mega session is better. There again, I brought this up in my initial post so I can't understand why you wrote it in an argument.?>

Thirdly (not sure if that's a word), if you get a 99% yield from 2,500 grafts vs. 97% of a 5,000 graft session then the yield would have been better with the smaller session. I don't know this to be the case, but my opinion is that a doctor could get a better yield from a smaller session. Some doctors have written that as well. But, it's debatable and why I put the word personally b/c that's my opinion.

However, their is a cost advantage for sure. And, in my opinion, the patient has to decide whether that benefit and the others is more important than some of the benefits that can be had by a smaller session (in this case 2,500, not 1,000?).

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

hairthere, that's why i find it curious that they are pumping out a 1000graft in that same amount of time and still be considered elite docs. this was about the same time it took to do my strip 10 years ago. i guess not much has changed.

Anouar,

Nobody is arguing that Hasson and Wong isn't at the top of their game and providing first-rate work. As you probably know, I'm a Dr. Hasson patient for my third surgery. But there are also other surgeons that do high quality work that are worth considering. Quality options exist and patients are free to make their own choice.

Cheers,

Bill