Hello,

I am new to this forum and have been reading many posts on the subject of costs. I have spoken to a few doctors in NY and they all have been recommended by the hairtransplantnetwork. The problem is that there seems to be a big cost difference (especially for over 1500 FUT). Should the cost the Dr. is charging be considered? I don't want to skim on costs and then regret it later. Should I just trust any doctor that is recommended on the network? I don't mind traveling and I think that there has to be a difference (maybe small) between the outcomes of the surgeries between doctors.

Thanks,

John

Hello,

I am new to this forum and have been reading many posts on the subject of costs. I have spoken to a few doctors in NY and they all have been recommended by the hairtransplantnetwork. The problem is that there seems to be a big cost difference (especially for over 1500 FUT). Should the cost the Dr. is charging be considered? I don't want to skim on costs and then regret it later. Should I just trust any doctor that is recommended on the network? I don't mind traveling and I think that there has to be a difference (maybe small) between the outcomes of the surgeries between doctors.

Thanks,

John

johnq,

You should expect to pay between $3-$5 per graft for any procedure which is under 2000 grafts. Usually, if you get more than 2000, the price will go down to around $2 per graft.

Price shouldn't be first on your list but, lets be honest, at $3 per graft 1500 grafts is $4,500 or at $5 per graft for 1500 grafts is $7,500.....................that's a 66% difference in price totaling $3,000. IMO............first you focus on quality, then focus on price...........try to balance it out over the long haul. Many may disagree with me on this but, for me, the 2 HT's I've had in the last year or so have cost me (and my family) around $15,500............if I hadn't been somewhat cost concious that figure could have easily been over $20,000 without any trouble at all.

Consult with the HTN recommended surgeons to get a feel for who will best serve your needs. Then start focusing on price to narrow it down. Some clinics will offer a discount if you're willing to take a cancelled appointment or are flexible on when you can get the HT. Breech the subject with them during a consult to see how flexible they are.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks for your reply. I have been told that I need 2000 grafts but the price seems to not go to $2 per graft. I am getting prices of 4.7-5.5 per graft. I have spoken to doctors that I believe are very reputable but I don't know when quality stops and price continues. I have spoken to Dr. Bernstein and Dr. Epstein. I know that this subject has been talked about continuously but if distance (The U.S.) isn't a issue, which would be the top five doctors. This would help me decide on which doctor to use.

Thank you,

John

johnq,

The $2 per graft is for anything "over" 2000 grafts. Anything up to that I'd guess $3-$5 per graft.

Top 5 doc's...............that's a loaded question as it's so subjective. I'll give you my opinion of the top 5 from the Coalition Surgeons but IMO I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.......

In no particular order.....

Hasson & Wong (either of them), Shapiro, Cooley, Keen, Charles.............

As I said, this is very difficult because I believe all of the Coalition Surgeons are top notched. Now, I did find during my consults that the costs will vary............sometimes, quite a bit. Also, some are willing to negotiate a little as I indicated earlier and some will not.

Distance was an issue with my first HT and I regret it. In all likelihood, I could have gone to Hasson and Wong and received the total from my 2 HT's all in one session........if I'd known then what I know now.....

BTW, some questions I probably should have asked to begin with.......how old are you, where are you on the Norwood scale and are you doing anything about your loss currently (Propecia, Minoxidil...etc.)?

Keep researching and consult with several. Good luck.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by hairbank:

johnq,

You should expect to pay between $3-$5 per graft for any procedure which is under 2000 grafts. Usually, if you get more than 2000, the price will go down to around $2 per graft.

Now you are talkin my language..I'm considering gettin about 2200 grafts..Which surgeons on here might possibly charge $2.00 or less for over 2000?

Lon,

I think you misunderstood my post...........what I meant was that you can expect to pay between $3 - $5 per graft for the first 2000, then around $2 per graft for anything over 2000.

Sorry for the confusion.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by Lon:

For someone who is really concerned on gettin a good deal as I am..which surgeons on this site would you guys recommend..

I had 2700 grafts with Dr Feller and the price per graft worked out at $3.24. Dr Feller is recommended here and his prices seem to be on the lower end of the quality HT surgeons' price range. A larger session may be cheaper, you can check the price list on the fellermedical.com web site.

PB

Dr. Lehr in OKC prices at $3 a graft. His prices are a little lower because of lower cost of living/operating in the Midwest. I had a good experience with him in terms of cost...as far as growth goes, well, I'm still too early to judge (transplant on 2/9). But when I first consulted with Dr. Lehr, in spring of 2004, he estimated I would need 800 grafts to fill in my receded temples. When I returned to see him this winter (almost 2 years later), he said the same estimate would apply. So I was pleasantly surprised when, after my procedure was over, he told me that he and his staff were able to get a little more than 1,500 units from my donor strip. He said nothing about additional cost, but I brought it up. Could I pay the difference? At first he said no, that my original consultation was based on 800 units, but I insisted on making up at least part of the difference. I mean, it was a 2-year-old estimate. He said he wouldn't take more than payment for an additional 200. So basically, I got the other 500 units at no cost.

I don't know if other patients have had this type of experience...and maybe some of you will say I'm nuts for offering to pay anything above what was estimated...but this was just the way I was raised. You don't expect something for nothing, and you pay someone for the job they do.

Long story short, I believe Dr. Lehr is very ethical, reasonable and fair in his monetary dealings. Professionally, he trained under one of the pioneers in the field. So far I'm seeing some growth. If cost is a factor for you, I know he's one of the most reasonable in the field. I would at least suggest a long-distance consult with him. This is a service he offers. If you like what you hear, go in for a consultation. I think you will find him very honest. In fact, he turns away a lot of patients who have unreasonable expectations.

Just some thoughts...

I'll go ahead and say your nuts!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif Seriously though, if you are THAT satisfied with your procedure, then I am happy for you. Perhaps you could post some photos of your head before and during surgery? I think that would help all of us here look at graft placement, distribution, etc... Thanks!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Wow, thats a fishy scenerio. If you are looking for doctors in NY who do good work at good prices, check out Dr. Feller. I had a HT with in on 4/24/06 where he did over 2500 grafts for around 8700. If you are looking for a high end doctor, I had my first HT with Bernstein, 1800 for about 10K. Although Bernstein is a very good doctor, his prices are very high in my opion. I liked Dr. Feller and his work. I am just waiting to see the results from my second HT with Dr. Feller.

Thanks for the advice people...I'll check out these doctors and look at their before and after pics..3 dollars a graft is the best deal I have heard of..in the US..

Dear Johnq,

I have got my BHT done from Dr AP in Delhi. In case you are willing to travel, like you have mentioned, you may seek the services of Dr Poswal at $3.50 per graft, which I believe is amongst the cheapest. Best of luck.

With Best Wishes

Top Shiny

http://www.hairlossweblogs.com/home-page.asp?WebID=83

700 BHT on 30 Sep 05 by Dr Arvind

5000 BHT from 05 to 09 Jul 06 by Dr Arvind

I wouldn't go to a Doctor in India even if they were free. I have yet to see a convincing transplant result from india. If there are any please post on this forum.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Mr. Shiny, you will NOT find an audience here if you recommend AP. Regardless of your experience (of which I have considerable doubt) you nor your doctor have any idea if your transplanted chest hairs will be immune to DHT. On top of that, the general consensus among anyone even thinking about BHT, is that it is only considered AFTER all scalp donor hair is exhausted. In addition, putting body hair in the front, near the hairline is insanity, simply because body hair has considerable difficulty softening to look like your normal "top of the scalp" hair. People from India have dark, coarse hair for the most part, so they do not have such a problem with this. Lastly, You nor ANY doctor can predict the long-term immunity of your body hair to DHT. Your transplants could fall out 5 years from now, or 10. That is reality. As a white male, (if this is really you, as we have serious doubts about the validity of any photos from the Poswal Clinic), your body hair belongs in the crown only, AFTER you exhausted your scalp donor that is transplanted in the frontal region.

Once again, another reason NOT to go to INDIA.

3.50 a graft to be test Gerbil is not something anyone would willingly do.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Originally posted by JakeVig:

I wouldn't go to a Doctor in India even if they were free.

You're so right! I wouldn't even have a HT in India if they were to pay me to have it! The same goes for the UK - some of the worst butcherings I've seen have been done in the UK.

Lon, I also had my surgery with Lehr. I won't recommend for nor against him until I see my results. As I have stated before on this forum, don't let $$ be a factor. If you need to get a loan, there are finance companies that will do cosmetic surgery. This will affect how you look the REST OF YOUR LIFE. Spend the money, you are worth it. I am always amazed what people will and won't spend money on. This is one thing worth the $$$ for your peace of mind and results. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Mr B Spot,

I am a layman in BHT and do not have the knowledge that you seem to be having. However,the proof of the pudding lies in its eating. I would like to mention three points for consideration. First, during my procedure and subsequently for follow ups, I saw a lot of activity and large number of patients of different nationalities at Dr Poswal's clinic. Second, my interaction with some other people, who had undergone treatment at his clinic revealed high satisfaction levels. Third, I have posted my photographs on the blog and I intend providing more of them with time, for people to make an assessment themselves. I cannot comment, nor am I aware as to why Dr Poswal is not posting photographs of his patients. Maybe, with his hands are so full, he may not be inclined to do so or there may be some other reasons. Not for me to comment. As far as the topic goes - costs, I am still confident that my assessment is correct that he is providing quite economical services.

With Best Wishes

Top Shiny

http://www.hairlossweblogs.com/home-page.asp?WebID=83

700 BHT on 30 Sep 05 by Dr Arvind

5000 BHT from 05 to 09 Jul 06 by Dr Arvind

Top--- everyone is looking for a great deal because this stuff is expensive, regardless of where you go. The reason Dr. Poswal does not post pictures on the internet is because he was caught stealing other surgeons before and after photos and posting them as his own. Most people who are apprised of the situation, believe the was a blatant ethical violation in an attempt to push his clinic for financial gain. That is why many here refuse to even comment on your results or your happiness over your experience. With that said, ANY time a fellow sufferer posts his or her experience with a doctor who has serious ethical or technical questions, I beleive it is important for one of us to continue to post these issues on EVERY thread of this nature. You have to understand that someone may view your thread and feel as if Dr. Poswal is a viable alternative, but until they possess ALL of the information about a certain clinic or doctor, that simply is just not true. Lastly, at 3.50 a graft the economics do not bear out. Many of the top HT docs in the US charge 4 to 5 dollars a graft for the first 2000 and seriously reduce anything after that. You seem to be an upright guy, and I am certainly glad that you found this site. Please continue to do research before going forward, and you may end up changing your mind.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Top Shiny,

You still have time to do MORE research. I literally took a double take at your pics and description on your blog. What you are allowing this doctor to do to you will not get you the natural results you are looking for. Please re-consider going back to this doctor.

Spend some time on this site and view the results of HTs from the top doctors. I really believe that you should consult in person with one of the top doctors in North America as they can advise you on the next steps you should take. If you cannot do it in person at least spend some time on the phone with them as it is free and they can answer all of your questions including costs.

The cost may be a little more traveling to North America, but the long term results, costs and state of mind will be totally worth it.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

• 8 months later...

hey shiny

i think what your doing is very good. i mean by you actually blogging your experience, i think bht is a great option with donor area limited-for everyone. now what dht may or may not do i think is the same as any hair transplanted to that area.

i was at a open house with dr bernstein and he was speaking as how recipient areas actually change some of the inherit features of the hair. ie eyebrows or facial hair. so i think it would do the same with body hair, but only after a long period of time. It has been shown body hair does grow longer and that it does become finer. perhaps with a more in depth study it would be helpful. another thing i wanted to comment on

is how many people with normal hair transplants create blogs, very few. most likely due to them wanting to forget that they were bald or to busy with their lives. how many people would go out to say they took hair from pubic area or armpits??/ i mean the pictures look real. and i think this thread about bht should be given more room to grow. if it does work better in south asians fine why does it work better.

i dont know exactly what dr arvind did in the beginning but his work and dr woods work seem promising. and i want their patients to blog and express their feelings. i remember when bosley was the worst place to go to. but then pat the moderator said they improved somewhat after some company bought them. not every doctor is going to do studies for free does that mean that the experience gained from these surgeries be lost. i want to know what the 5yr 10yr post ops are. and the only way is to encourage people willing to take the plunge to blog on.

1.25mg finasteride

drugstore.com 100 pills $225

quarter them

5% rogaine foam

samsclub $50 4 month supply

vanity my downfall