need your help

Hello!

I am attaching the pics of my hair-loss with this thread. How do I add pics from other views to give you a complete picture of the situation?

Coming to the other information -

1. I am currently 27years of age.

2. I noticed my first hairloss around 2005 and since then it has progressed to this current stage. The hairloss was basically due to lots of stress and improper and irregular diet pattern. To give you an idea, professional demands were such that I could sleep only 3-4hours every night (for 1.5-2 years) and the diet was extremely irregular. At times, I had to skip meals for 2days in a row. Even the diet content was improper. I have never smoked and I don't drink alcohol at all. No one in family has had any major hair loss problems.

3. Current rate of hairfall is moderate to slow but hair have thinned out a lot. I lose about 2-3 hairs. When I shampoo, I lose about 15-20 hairs.

4. I had started with homeopathic medicines (around last November) to stabilise and halt hairloss but they did not prove any beneficial. If anything, my hair have thinned much more ever since I started homeopathic medicines. I have stopped those medicines now, since last 3months. For last 8 months or so, I have been having proper diet content (at regular intervals of time). I use Parachute coconut oil twice a week.

5. I have never had any hair restoration surgery.

6. I don't have any major medical illness.

What I want to know from you is:

1. Do you think I need a hair transplant or would medication alone suffice?

2. In how much time can I expect to have normal fuller hair on my scalp in both the cases?

3. Can I have the estimate of cost for hair transplant in this case (depending on number of grafts you think I would need)?

Look forward to hear from you.

view-from-vertex.JPG.a00e619c7ad107b65d612bb579c6ed99.JPG

Hello!

I am attaching the pics of my hair-loss with this thread. How do I add pics from other views to give you a complete picture of the situation?

Coming to the other information -

1. I am currently 27years of age.

2. I noticed my first hairloss around 2005 and since then it has progressed to this current stage. The hairloss was basically due to lots of stress and improper and irregular diet pattern. To give you an idea, professional demands were such that I could sleep only 3-4hours every night (for 1.5-2 years) and the diet was extremely irregular. At times, I had to skip meals for 2days in a row. Even the diet content was improper. I have never smoked and I don't drink alcohol at all. No one in family has had any major hair loss problems.

3. Current rate of hairfall is moderate to slow but hair have thinned out a lot. I lose about 2-3 hairs. When I shampoo, I lose about 15-20 hairs.

4. I had started with homeopathic medicines (around last November) to stabilise and halt hairloss but they did not prove any beneficial. If anything, my hair have thinned much more ever since I started homeopathic medicines. I have stopped those medicines now, since last 3months. For last 8 months or so, I have been having proper diet content (at regular intervals of time). I use Parachute coconut oil twice a week.

5. I have never had any hair restoration surgery.

6. I don't have any major medical illness.

What I want to know from you is:

1. Do you think I need a hair transplant or would medication alone suffice?

2. In how much time can I expect to have normal fuller hair on my scalp in both the cases?

3. Can I have the estimate of cost for hair transplant in this case (depending on number of grafts you think I would need)?

Look forward to hear from you.

Hi dippy,

Male pattern baldness may be at work here or the culprit could be stress. Has your crazy work/professional demands eased up? If the stressors are gone and you still see hairloss, then it might be MPB.

I would get on meds such as propecia(or proscar) and minoxidil as this can slow down your hairloss and even grow hair back in the crown area. Initially(1-3 months) these meds will cause additional shedding, but then you should begin to see improvement over the next 12 months or so, at least as far as further hairloss goes. Many people also experience hair regrowth in the crown with these meds, so it's definately worthwhile trying.

If you decide to go with a hair transplant I would start your research of doctors on here now so you can make an educated decision down the road. I'm not sure how many grafts you require(maybe 3000?) and that would cost around $10,000 - $15,000 dollars. It can take over a year for transplanted hairs to grow to maturity on your scalp.

Since you are 27 and just started experiencing hairloss in the last few years, I would recommend the meds as your first recourse and see how that works(give it a year at least). Then in a few years look at hair restoration surgery if you haven't seen the results from meds.

Good luck! Btw, I'm curious what type of profession works you that hard. I'm guessing either a soldier in Iraq, someone in residency or lawyer trying to make partner. icon_smile.gif Hope your making some time for yourself.

dippy-

All the above posters give good insight and recommendations, especially concerning the use of finasteride to help slow MPB.

As for your observation:

"The hairloss was basically due to lots of stress and improper and irregular diet pattern."

If that were the case, one would expect to see a more diffuse loss pattern. Yours seems quite typical of MPB, to my eye at least.

As per the others, try the meds!

Sincerely,

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

dippy,

Welcome to our hair restoration forum.

I agree that the cause of your hair loss is most likely due to male pattern baldness. Regular stress does not cause hair loss though as Dr. Carman said, traumatic stress can cause a temporary diffuse thinning of the hair.

Consult with a hair restoration physician about getting on Propecia and possibly consider using it in combination with Rogaine. You may be able to rejuvenate some of the thinning hair and prevent further loss.

Personaly, I'd consider using the medication for at least a year before considering hair transplant surgery.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Bill