I need info about Saw Palmetto Berries

Sirri

I was using Proscar for about 8 months. The result was almost OK. Later I was advised to take Saw Palmetto Vitamins to avoid the side effects of Proscar and Propecia. I stopped Proscar and started Saw Palmetto. Did anyone try it before? And is it effective to replace Propecia or Proscar?

I don't know about that man. There is nothing proven about Saw Palmetto from what I am aware of...and I may be wrong, but I think coming off Propecia will be a mistake especially if you were only on it for 8 months. If you were going to regrow any hair on Propecia, you should give it at the very least a year, and it is known for maintenance of existing hair. My advice would be...unless you are experiencing side effects from Propecia, get back on that, and if you want to try Saw Palmetto in addition to that, do that, but don't get off of Propecia...or you'll end up like me...losing just about all my hair and then start getting Hair Transplants. I suspect that if I started taking Propecia when I was about 22, I would have been able to maintain a lot more hair.

Bill

Yeah - saw palmetto may work, but no credible lab studies have proven its efficiancy (to my knowledge). It may work, but sadly there is no financial gain for a lab to do a testing on it since no corporation can patent it...its a berry! I've read in posts that some people like it, but most that i've read didn't think it worked to well. On the same token, i've heard it can have the same sexual side effects as propecia. Just because something is labeled a supplement, doesn't mean its any safer than a drug.

It seems propecia, minox and nizoral is the only effective combo and the best option if you can afford it.

IF Saw Palmetto works then it would be approved by the USFDA and recommended by MOST doctors to treat hair loss. FACT IS - neither statement is true. By stopping the Propecia, you WILL experience loss of the hairs that have benefitted from Propecia. The two are not the same , they are not interchangable, and they don't produce the same results!!!!!!! I did the same thing (almost exactly!!) that you are doing. I thought natural vitamins would be better for me.. WRONG!!!!! The resulting hair loss was SEVERE!! Contact some hairloss docs recommended on this site and ask them that sasme question. I doubt any of them will give Saw much credibility.

Shiny Side Up!!

1. Saw Palmetto can have all the same side effects as Propecia. "Natural" does not mean a guarantee there will be no side effects. I have also heard of VERY few guys saying that Saw Palmetto did anything for their hair (and who knows if it actually did).

2. If you are going to use Saw Palmetto anyway, you want Saw Palmetto standardized extract, not just Saw Palmetto Berry or Berry Extract. The standardized extract is more potent.

• 1 month later...

I have been using Proscar, which uses saw palmetto extract. So far it HAS STOPPED my hairloss. the only time i lose hair is if it gets ripped out usually from brushing hair after using hair spray. This drug for me has seemed to work. I will soon be adding finastride to the lineup as well.

do not knock this natural supplement until you have tried it. warning are one thing, but dont knock it.