"Expert's" Opinion on Inheriting MPB From Father

Source: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Hair-Loss-1012/inherited-hair-loss.htm

"Question

Hi, my father is 52 and he suffers from mild temple hair loss, while my mother has fairly thick hair (but a really tall forehead). If I inherit my fathers mild baldness, it is very unlikely that I would loose more hair than him or at an earlier age than him right?

Answer

It is not possible to inherit something neither parent has. Your mother may be carrying some baldness genes which are not obvious because she would need to have as much testosterone as you or your father for it to show up early. If she has no brothers and uncles with thinning and her father was not thin then there is a good chance you escaped getting baldness genes from her. Your father can't give you more baldness than he has.The timing of balding can vary on not only the genes which control it but also on illnesses which can make inherited balding happen many years earlier than it would normally. So, to answer you question briefly-- Yes you are right-you are unlikely to lose more than your father."

Interesting theory. So, he's arguing that in those who inherit the balding gene from their father, the degree to which the pattern will progress is somewhat predictable: less than or equal to his, not greater. Do you think that this is true?

I remember speaking with Dr. Dorin about his type of hair loss, which he believes was inherited from his dad (on whom he actually did a transplant). He felt confident that he was relatively safe with the strategy behind his own restoration based on the father-son connection.

What do you think about this?

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

youngsuccess,

Very interesting, but I believe his statements are either misleading or incorrect. I for one am an example of what he's saying isn't likely. I have a lot more hair loss than my own father, and my mother has no signs of hair loss.

Hair loss is genetic and can be inherited from either side of the family. Remember that a number of genes play a role in hair loss and the amount of DHT does also. Our genetics are made up of both genes passed on from our mother and father, and it's the combination of those hair loss genes and hormonal levels that will ultimately determine the amount of hair loss we'll experience.

Sad to say, it's quite possible to experience a lot more hair loss than your father or mother.

Best wishes,

Bill

It is all genetic and just because your father is bald doesnt mean you have the jean. Also, old thought was maternal grandfather passes the gene. This also is not a truth, while it might be real in some cases it can not be related. The Gene might be more dominate in some individuals that others. I myself did get the gene from my father. But my older brother apparently didnt.

SMOOTHY

Shapiro

Propecia/Rogaine xtra

MSM/Saw Pallmetto

Nioxin Shampoo

Zrii 3oz. daily

• 3 months later...

Society always wants to blame someone. Male pattern baldness is a combination of genetically susceptible hairs succombing to the effect of DHT; Natural hair thinning with age, Stress/other medical conditions; and Luck.

I have seen countless guys with little hair who say they look like Uncle Joe, or Dad, or Mom's dad; and I have seen a nearly equal amount who say they are the only bald guy in the family. I doubt that is completely true, but they may have more expression of genes rendering hairs susceptible than other relatives. And we get normal scalp hair guys coming in with their bald brothers, and they look completely alike (same nose, eyebrows etc) except hair.

You can pick your nose and your friends, but not your genes.

You can't pick luck.

In a few years, we will have enough genetic screening to know all of the science behind this, but we aren't there yet.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

my old man has all of his hair at 60 and no grey either,his father still had all his when he died.

my mums dad was a white haired norwood 6 for as long as i could remember,and his wifes(my grandmother) dad was the same.

i lost my hair in my late teens/twenties and my younger brother didnt start losing till his thirties.

we also have diferent patterns. i went from front to back and he started in the middle and went backwards holding on to the "island" at the front.

it really is a lottery. icon_frown.gif

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

nteresting theory. So, he's arguing that in those who inherit the balding gene from their father, the degree to which the pattern will progress is somewhat predictable: less than or equal to his, not greater. Do you think that this is true?

Im 30 and my father is 50 and has more hair than I have, so I'd say it is not true

My father lost his hair when he was 50(not completely). My grandfather(mother?‚??s side) had, a hair type like mine and he died with a thick full head of hair, my grandfather(father?‚??s side) lost his hair partially in his 60?‚??(he was a WW2 vet). I am 24 and loosing hair fast, I was a different person just one year ago and next year I?‚??ll be probably NW 5A or 6, at the other hand all of my relatives are average height, I am almost 6.5 ft... Talk about genetics...icon_smile.gif