I am 22 and getting a HT..Please Help!

Bill,

her website has photos of her patients. I mean, at first i told myself that those pics might be fake, but i actually know someone who done it there. Ive called her up and spoke to her numerous amounts of time and explained to her my situation. She seemed confident enough and knew what she was talking about. Moreover, she did consider my future and told me how she was going to treat it. That's why she even asked me to arrive there 1 day before my surgery date so they consulate me some more. She's also a member of the ISHRS. Many people think i have not done research on this issue. But with all honsety, i have. Ive been losing my hair since i was only 17! Now, at 22, i cant help but do a HT because all my other options are gone. My hair is baby thin. Why not treat the problem as if i was already 30? Its very clear where my hair is ending up. According to my research, one should get an HT, ONLY if they can see the line of the level of hairloss. Its very clear i am going to be a NW 6 or NW 7 in a couple of years. EVERYONE in my family has a NW 6 class of hairloss. Its no surprise ill also end up like that. I would defintely understand if i was only getting hairloss in my temple regions. If that was the case, i would defintely wait for a HT but in my case its different. PLEASE DONT GET ME WRONG, i think the best thing i ever did was join this forum and i greatly appreciate everyones advice. I respect you and look up to you because its absolutely clear you have more experience than i do about this topic.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinman,

I want to make clear that I'm not familiar with your surgeon so I'm not making a judgement on her.

That said, being a member of the ISHRS is good, but doesn't necessarily qualify their surgical ability. A medical license and a annual fee will allow any hair transplant surgeon to become a member.

I am glad that you feel you've done your research. If your mind is truly made up, then I hope everything goes well and hope you will share your experience and photos with us.

I still feel however, that you should do more research and spend some time here to learn more. After all, what's the rush? You can still choose to have surgery with your chosen physician 6 months from now rather than a few weeks away. Rushing is indicative of an emotional decision rather than a logical one.

Best wishes for restoring your hair,

Bill

Thinman-

Perhaps looking at the big picture may help.

In the big picture, hair restoration, to be ultimately successful, must take into account a projected lifetime balance of supply vs demand. All the factors discussed by the forum members ultimately address this issue. When considering these factors, one is able to come up with an overall estimate of the supply-demand balance.

If, according to the estimates made by the surgeon, that balance is reasonably predicted to be in your favor (Supply >>> Demand), then, assuming the design of the pattern and density are conservative enough (for one, or projected multiple procedures in the future), then it would be prudent to commit to the procedure.

IF, on the other hand, the supply demand is NOT in your favor, you run the very big risk of finding yourself in a position where you have committed to a process that you do not have the resources (hair supply) to complete. It is certainly very cavalier to set yourself up as a "guinea pig", and I would say that to enter into a surgical procedure with that attitude is really selling yourself short. I personally wouldn't operate on a patient who brings SO MUCH uncertainty and anxiety fueling their decision. That's just me, so i don't want to color the Dr.'s position whom you have chosen. We are all entitled to our professional opinions, all the more transparent in a forum such as this.

Dr. Timothy Carman

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

HT55,

I wouldn't call the ISHRS useless, but it is true that being a member of the ISHRS doesn't necessarily mean they perform state of the art work.

The ISHRS is an educational organization for doctors to discuss and share ideas that can help physicians further enhance their surgical abilities and level of patient care. Those who take education and surgery seriously will continue to evolve and the ISHRS is one organization that can be an effective tool.

On the other hand, I have seen some physicians use their membership as a soliciting tool as if their membership equates to state of the art work. This is why this forum community is highly important for seeking patients - so they can research and cut to the chase by viewing real patient photos.

Best wishes,

Bill

HT55,

I did not ask about the number of grafts. It slipped my mind. I mean, i know its important to know, but i was too busy explaining to her my emotions and that i was having drawbacks. Furthermore, i stated to her all the advice everyone has given me on the forum including age. I spent more than half an hour communicating with her. She in turn made me feel MUCH better about the HT. In other words, she informed me that she did indeed review my pictures and does understand my level of hairloss. She was straight forward and honest with me. She informed me that it is no secret that i have a HIGH level of hairloss. She demanded i immediately take propecia, which is common sense. Then she added that her main focus was the front and the top, not so much the crown. (Which is exactly what HairClub originally told me.) I will indeed need another procedure done for the crown.

all i can say man is think long and hard. as another young guy just 3 times your junior is that it is probably not worth it just yet man. honestly what i would do if i were you(bein ga young guy and knowing what its like) is just honestly shave your shit off man. your head is already showing, honestly just shave it off if i were u. i mean dude how bad could it be? at your level of hairloss i would say f*** the transplant and just shave it for awhile dude. just look at the pictures around here at ur level of hairloss i personally don't think at this point in the game its worth it to have a surgery. what if it would turn out completely horrible and then the one thing to heal it would be to shave your head and then u got a big ass scar on ur head?

~im getting a hair transplant in 2012 when im 25~

and by the way my last post has absolutely nothing to do with your age(which no surgery should be determined by age whatsoever in my opinion, but the degree of hairloss) i jsut think your hairloss is too much for the technology right now. well i mean unless your ready for ur friends to ask you whats wrong with your hair when your transplant grows out and only fillng in 1/4 of the balded area.

~im getting a hair transplant in 2012 when im 25~

Jupiter,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with me. I do not believe that my "hairloss is too much for the technology" though. I say this because you got slick bald people NW6's going out there and having the procedure done and achieving decent results. Shaving my head is out of the question. I tried it before, and it looked terrible. My head is too bumpy and i have a couple of ugly moles on there. I use Dermmatch on my hair, which makes things a little bit better for me.

Dr. Timothy Carmen,

Thank you so much for sharing your idea with me. I ABSOLUTELY agree with what you have stated. The whole supply>>>demand theory. It makes all the right sense and i am not going to go against it. I respect your opinion.

Thinman,

just the simple fact that so many people are telling you not to do it should set off alarms in your head. I already told you i'm not gonna try to convince you to put off the surgery so I wont, but you have to live w/ this decision the REST OF YOUR LIFE! I think the only thing that will stop you now is a crystal ball!

HT55,

She did state that i could wait if i wanted to. However, it was not possible to get my money back. She said i could wait 12 months and even more if i wanted. After much research, i really want to do it. As i did mention before, i tried propecia, rogaine, and nizoral for well over a year. I did not get the results i hoped for on the "Big 3".

Thinman,

while i still say if this is something you really want then do it. However, it makes all the difference in selecting an excellent surgeon. While i will say i know nothing about Dr. Reyes, she seems more concerned about getting your money rather then performing your surgery. Like many others have said, finding out information such as how many grafts, fue punch hole size, etc is imperative. It's very strange she has not discussed this with you. With your amount of loss a FUT procedure seems to make much more sense. Do not sacrifice your future to be a guinea pig for this doctor. If she says you can wait i would do so. You should do more research. Get an idea of what you can expect to achieve by viewing before and after photos of patients with your level of hairloss. In the end, i would fight her to get my deposit back. Find a surgeon here in the states or Canada. A hair transplant is just not something you want to seek a bargain on. Talk to your parents, im sure they know this is really bothering you. Maybe they would help out financially.

Thinman-

In the title you chose for your thread, you implored: Please Help!!!

In order to receive help, you must let go of YOUR idea of what you need (or want) and LISTEN to others in order to get that which you say you are seeking. Above all, remember; any important decision you make in your life should be made while NOT in a period of emotional unrest. It is best to WAIT, and weigh your options when your judgment is not coloured by anxiety, fear, or uncomfortable feelings you may have over being indecisive or unsure of what to do. The way in which you approach this issue demonstrates to me that you are still emotionally immature (not an abnormal thing at age 22); a sign of emotional maturity is a willingness to do what you NEED to do, rather than what you WANT to do. This, my friend, like most uncomfortable situations in life, is an opportunity for you to grow. Intellectually understanding this point is easy. Practicing it is wisdom.

I wish you the best.

Dr. Carman

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

However, it was not possible to get my money back

This right here should set off alarms. As Dr. Carman stated, ESPECIALLY, for someone so young..it would be ethical to recompensate even a little bit.