I am 22 and getting a HT..Please Help!

Thinman123,

This is just my humble opinion and you can take it for what it's worth but there are several issues you should be considering and I'm not sure you've given them serious thought:

<LI>Level of hair loss relative to age- Your level of hair loss seems to be advanced for your age from the pics. I could clearly see the shape of your loss going into a norwood 5-6 and it is diffused.

<LI>Now I am no doctor but has Dr. Reyes discussed your level of loss and explained what her approach is going to be??? This is CRITICAL for you to understand and for your success.

<LI>If she plans on spreading the grafts over the entire scalp you may shock the existing hairs and they may or may not come back. If so, you will not have much of gain/difference. Now if she plans on covering the first half, you may probably need a second session later on to address additional loss (as you will have additional loss in the years to come) The first session will most likely not give you the coverage you want or think you are going to get. You are not totally bald now but are unhappy. Are you going to be satisfied with these results?

<LI>Has your doctor spoken to you about any of this???

<LI>Has she seriously discussed your current limitations???

<LI>Has she discussed yoru level of loss now and what it will be in the future???

From the way you are posting I get the impression that you are rushing a decision without serious thought other than you don't want to be bald and that is not in your best interest. I could be totally off base but you have not posted any info about your consultation other than a non-refundable deposit and I did not read that you've researched what your results may look like or what your expectations are. You could be setting yourself up for some serious disappointments.

I'm not saying going for a procedure at your age/level of loss is wrong- I'm saying going for a procedure at your age/level of loss without fully reviewing your options and potential outcomes is wrong.

Consider what you are doing now before you have a procedure. Have several consultations with other docs to get a better understanding before you commit. Otherwise you may just be posting back here in another year about how unhappy you are and how you wished you listened to the folks here who gave you sound advise.

HIGA

2400 Grafts with Dr. Epstein 11/8/06

Nizoral 3X/week

Rogaine foam 2x/day

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had serveral consultations with different offices. I went to "Hair Club" about 7 months ago. They said i had tons of hair left and that the procedure could be done. They told me that it could be done in 2 sessions. However, it would cost 11,250 $ for the first session and X amount of dollars for the second (that is for the crown). However, they did not mention anything about age. I asked if i was too young and they said, age was not a factor in my case. Now, i am a college student..i dont have that kind of money. I did some more research and found out that my cousin had this procedure done in Domincan Republic with Dr.Reyes. He said he turned out great (he is also an NW6), but he is 42 yrs old. In my family baldness is common. Our levels of hairloss are all NW6. I look at my other cousins and uncles, and they are all bald NW6 at 35 yrs old maximum. In my case, it easy to see where i am going to end up. Its no secret that i will be a NW6 sooner or later. Therefore, my question is Why cant I treat the problem as if i was already an NW6. I doubt i will get any balder than this. Its very obvious to see where i am going to end up. I was reading an article where about age and HT's. Now, in my opinion or from what i found out was the risks of having a HT at a young age was that at a young age, one can not tell the level of baldness he will end up. However, in my case its dfferent.

In regards to speaking with Dr.Alba Reyes, i have spoken to her assistant on the phone. I asked her what they had in mind. She said they will pretend that none of the thinning hair exists on top of my head and continue with the procedure.

I doubt i will get any balder than this.

You can never know!

Thin,

You come here looking for suggestions and opinions yet it sounds to me you dont like the opinions you are getting so you keep digging deeper hoping to get a differant answer. My answer will not sway, but I'm not a doctor so who am I you ask? Well I am one of those people who rushed my decision and had a procedure done, and I've regreted it since the 1st day! And I was 28! Forget about age right now! You are advanced in your hair loss and maybe could benefit from a HT, but You are taking a HUGE chance having this procedure in the D.R. And for what because it's cheaper? That is rediculous! If you do go ahead w/ this I truly hope you prove us wrong, but if you dont you cant say no-one has tried to help guide you in the right direction! GOOD LUCK!

WAY TOO YOUNG!!!!! I got mine at 23 and now 31 I wish I wouldnt have. Nothing against the doctor but after losing more hair I was at the point of either spending more money or doing something else. Now I have decided to shave my head and be happy in my own skin. But rather than just having a shaved head, I have to explaiin to people that as a young man I was not confident and very insecure and I went for a procedure! Take a look!!!

100_4475.JPG.3450c6ace2c70557fed51a7c05e6c1c7.JPG

And to respond to the age thing. Knowing where the hairloss is going isnt the real issue. The real issue is at 30 being bald may not matter to you. I am now 31 have beautiful wife and two adorable kids. I could really care less about hair but more supplying my kids with college money, paying my mortgage and things like that. Trust me at 22 I know it feels like a huge monkey on your back but it wont always feel that way. Put the money down on a boat or harley, shave your head and the babes will come!!!

I'm no doc but you seem to have thick donor hair but I don't think there is a real way of gauging your laxity via a pic.

Ok it sounds like you've received some feedback via consultations. I still think you should speak with a couple of coalition doctors if for nothing else, to get a good perspective on your situation. I think you can't go wrong with second and third opinions.

Now not sure what Dr. Reyes meant by pretending none of the thinning hair exists. Did she mean that she plans on transplanting all over the scalp (front/mid area) and is she less concerned with existing hair falling out? Keep in mind that as she transplants around existing hair, the native that are there now will eventually be lost, leaving you with a thinner look once they do. That's where the second session comes in.

If you've taken that into consideration and are ok with the fact that you will need a second procedure to add density then maybe you will be satisfied providing you have good growth with Dr. Reyes.

My opinion, I'd consult with a coaltion doc because of their records of success but if you are aware of all the aspects and issues and are ok with the possible outcomes that you can resonably expect, then maybe you are informed enough to have reasonable expectations. And if so, you may be very satisfied with your results.

Again, my goal would be to be as informed and aware of the facts surounding my particular case as possible. If you go forward with yoru decision I wish you lots of success. Don't forget to post your experience and progress on this site as it will be a great help to many.

HIGA

2400 Grafts with Dr. Epstein 11/8/06

Nizoral 3X/week

Rogaine foam 2x/day

doubt i will get any balder than this

Thinman,

Given your age and thinning hair on top, you will most likely lose the rest of your natural hair without medical intervention (Propecia and maybe even Rogaine).

In my opinon, consider using these two nonsurgical treatments first for at least a year and see how they work for you. Then reconsider surgery.

It appears that you have a lot more research to do.

Best wishes,

Bill

Originally posted by Bill:
doubt i will get any balder than this

Thinman,

Given your age and thinning hair on top, you will most likely lose the rest of your natural hair without medical intervention (Propecia and maybe even Rogaine).

In my opinon, consider using these two nonsurgical treatments first for at least a year and see how they work for you. Then reconsider surgery.

It appears that you have a lot more research to do.

Best wishes,

Bill

That's as honest and sincere a feedback anybody would provide.

Loui,

How many grafts did you do? You look much better shaved. The thing is, i cant pull off that look. My face does not fit that look. I cut my hair to a size #3 and it looked awful on me.

I just got off the phone with the Dr. She told me exactly how the procedure would take place. She said they will shave the thinning hair and act like it was not there. She said, again, that my age was not a factor because they already know the pattern i will bald into. Futhermore, she stated that she had patients that were 45 years old with almost the same hair as me. The earlier, the better she stated. In regards to the shockloss issue, she pointed out that it was mostly common in females and that her clinic never had an issue with shockloss in males.

In adddition, she said she had patients as young as 19 going in there.

In regards to the shockloss issue, she pointed out that it was mostly common in females and that her clinic never had an issue with shockloss in males.

In adddition, she said she had patients as young as 19 going in there

I hate to go against what a doctor says, but this is just not true thinman! Shock loss can happen to anyone. It's unpredictable. W/ diffuse thinner's it's almost a gaurantee. It's the skill of the surgeon that will determine how much there will be, but there will be some!

That's the story fellas...Im going to take one for the team. I am going to do it and see what happens. Heck, she says she can do it, so i am gonna test her. What the worst case scenerio? Let's see, she does it and it turns out like crap. If thats the case, i will shave my head. I am going to take this risk and see who this Dr. really is. Ill take pics of the procedure. Pray for me fellas!

Oh and please guys. Do NOT take it the wrong way. All your opinions made sense and i respect each and everyone of you guys for taking the time to help me out. I am just going to do it and pray for the best. I just do not have enough money to go out and spend 20,000$ to 40,000$ on a HTs. I know your thinking "hey, if you dont have that kind of money, then dont do it" She says she can make it full and dense for that amount. Lets see where she goes with this at my expense. 4250 sounds hella good if she can do that. haha

Why a Doctor hasnt chimed in here and tried to talk some sense into this kid is beyond me! We are here to look out after one another and not one comment from a doc! It's a shame.

Thinman,

If you spent 1 month on here reading and looking at pic's you'd realize how rediculous it is to think that one could have 4000 fue in one day, and for $4250 at that.

On my last note I will wish you luck, because you will definatley need it my friend

Dakota,

I understand that everyone is looking out for one another over here and for that, i am greatful that i came across this forum. That is why i have to find out who this Dr. really is to look out for someone else who will come across the same issue i am going through. She says she can do it, so lets see what she has. According to her website, she worked in Israel, United States, Brazil, and D.R. If she is soo good, however, why is she not working in the U.S. making much more money than in DR? Also, why has no body heard of her. That is why, i am taking myself over there and going to see things for myself. Heck, i know i am not going to prove anyone here who doubted me wrong and i am going to wish i listened to everyone here, but the fact of the matter is I want to test this lady. Something about her has grabbed my attention. Oh, i forgot to mention that i asked her how many patients she gets a month, she replied about 45. We'll see in 2 weeks.

My cousin did a HT with her and he was very pleased with the results. Yes, he is much older than me. I made my decision and im sticking by it. This is all i can afford so ill have to live with it. I will keep everyone posted with what happens. For now, i am going to kick back and await my appointment. HT55, i am not doubting you. As a matter of fact, i would like to thank you for your support and concern. But i am sure you understand how i feel. At 22, i have no hair and it really sucks. I began losing hair at 17! I remember going to the doctor and he said there is nothing i can do. He prescribed Nizoral, but i was too young too understand its significance. Its extremely devastating man. Sitting in a college course all the way at the back of the class so no one notices my balding head. Its embarassing. Friends come up to me and say, "damn your going bald kid". Thats the worst. Waking up early to apply concealers before starting my day just to have a decent head of hair. Thats what hurts me. At this point, i am not rushing anything. I have tried "the big 3" Propecia for 1 yr accompanied by Rogaine and Nizoral. That didnt help me. Im at the point where HT is my only option. I have done my research for more than a yr. Dont believe me? check the hairloss help forums. Trust me when i say, ive done my research. All i can do now is pray and hope for this HT to go through. Thank you.

That is why i have to find out who this Dr. really is to look out for someone else who will come across the same issue i am going through.

Thinman...this has to be the most IRRESPONSIBLE and IRRATIONAL comment I have ever heard anyone say; let me get this straight...you are going to be a test pilot for some other poor soul...COME ON MAN...listen to what you are saying!!!

Thinman,

I really think you need to SLOW DOWN, honestly, for your own sake. Taking one for the team is NOT a good idea.

A hair transplant surgeon should be carefully selected based on LOADS of research and consistent results.

How many results have you seen from the surgeon you are considering? How much experience does your physician and surgical team have?

Please don't make a decision based solely on the emotional drive to restore your hair. A quick decision may lead you down a dangerous road.

Bill

it seems to me that this may be a joke??? I mean serously who says I am going to take one for the team on something that is consuming your thoughts and life???? Worse case scenario is you get butchered and look like you were part of the texas chainsaw masacre.