Dr. Rahal 3425 grafts 28/03/2008 18 Months Update

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great result, Portugal25!

I'm only three weeks out from my procedure with Dr Rahal, but if my results are anything like as good as yours I'll be over the moon (we have quite a similar hair loss pattern and hair characteristics I think).

I'm interested to know: did you use Rogaine for the full 12 months then give it up or do you still use it? If you stopped the Rogaine, did you notice any shedding at that point?

Scottish Guy,

I used Rogaine for 12 months and then stopped, didn`t notice any sheeding.

Never used Propecia during this time and never will because I don`t like having to take a drup everyday for the rest of my life or risk having major shedding if I stop taking it.

Your HT looks amazing and I am sure you will get great results!

Thank you everyone for your comments icon_smile.gif

Again, it's not my intention to disparage anyone, but I feel that I must be completely honest lest this devolve into a cheerleader site like hairlosshelp.

As long as the hairline is covered--as it is when the hair is dry and combed sideways--it looks presentable. But when the hairline is exposed, it looks like an obvious transplant; it suffers from one of the classic HT faults: a linear hairline with a suspicious lack of density.

When a hairline is receded as much as this guy's, it's very dangerous to go linear because naturally linear hairlines tend to be very dense. Thus, the eye expects a linear hairline to be dense. Of course, most HTs can never achieve anything close to original density, so the result is a linear, see-through linear hairline catches the eye's attention.

As long as the hairline is covered--as it is when the hair is dry and combed sideways--it looks presentable. But when the hairline is exposed, it looks like an obvious transplant; it suffers from one of the classic HT faults: a linear hairline with a suspicious lack of density.

Shadow of the Empire State,

I think the phenomenon you are describing above is typical of hair transplants in general. However, I'm not sure I'd call it an "obvious transplant". Maybe it is to you and me, but not to 99% of the population. The reality is, unless you're one of the lucky few able to obtain "true density", harsh lighting will always make the density behind the hairline appear thinner. This in turn makes the terminal hairs in the hairline more obvious.

I do agree however, that this is the potential danger of restoring a youthful looking (somewhat linear) hairline with less than true density.

Best wishes,

Bill

Shadow,

I am also a very critical person and I call tell you that nobody as been to tell I had an HT.

I told a collegue at work yesterday that suffered hairloss (cancer) and she was stunned out of her mind as she never belived it could look so real (her words).

So I guess your right I don`t have a true density but it`s close to it and Dr. Rahal was conservative due to my age, meaning that If I go back for an HT in my 30s I will retouch the front density.

Regards from Portugal

Perhaps calling it an "obvious" transplant was unfair. What I should have said is that it's obvious to me and, I imagine, other sophisticated observers. Now, most people aren't sophisticated in matters of hair, but here's my problem with transplants: I'm not out to fool a 53-year-old truck driver; I'm out to fool people like Bill and Pat. Show me a transplant protocol that will enable me to fool Bill and Pat, and I'll be in the chair tomorrow.

As of now, we just aren't able to do that---except in the most extraordinary circumstances. I've been on these sites for over five years, and I've probably looked at thousands of transplants. My feeling now, as then, is that NW3 is really the outer limit for a viable HT candidate. Any worse than that, and the likelihood of an acceptable result plummets dramatically. Again, I understand that there have been a few quality HTs beyond NW 3, but in my estimation they have been just that: a few.

This poster probably needed about 5,000-6,000 grafts in the frontal third to get an ideal result. Would that have been inordinately risky? Of course---to the point of being unadvisable, even. But therein lies the rub: in many cases (particularly those beyond NW 3), the number of grafts needed to get an acceptabe result is just too great.

• 9 years later...

Hello Everyone,

I was so sad to see that the pictures on this thread vanished so I asked the Administrators of this forum to bring them back because I made no backups but they weren`t able to help.

Luckily, the Italians copy pasted some of the pictures on this thread 

So happy to get some of my pictures back :)

Hello,

It`s been 11 years since my HT with Dr. Rahal and during this time I didn`t take Propecia nor Minoxidil or anything else.

Dr. Rahal predicted that in 5 to 6 years my crown would fade and he was right.

Today I have a almost bald crown as you can see in the images.

I hope to go ahead with a second HT very soon but I have a short donor area so I might need BHT to compensate.

Therefore, I am talking with Dr. Kaan Pekiner because of his world class results with FUE.

Dr. Pekiner has done surgeries with more than 1100 grafts from the beard for added density with great results which might be just what I need.

Will keep everyone posted when I make the move for my next HT.

Dry1.jpg

Dry2.jpg

Wet1.jpg

Thanks for the update, I always wonder how HTs end up looking once the crown goes so this is very useful information. I think another pass that gives you a "thinning" look from the midscalp to the crown would be the way to go

On 9/26/2009 at 7:27 PM, Portugal25 said:

I used Rogaine for 12 months and then stopped, didn`t notice any sheeding.

Never used Propecia during this time and never will because I don`t like having to take a drup everyday for the rest of my life or risk having major shedding if I stop taking it.

How do you feel about this now? Would it still not have been worth taking the drug to you? Either way, I wish you success in your future surgery. Thanks for posting this, it is really interesting to see.  

12 minutes ago, jonnyalex said:

How do you feel about this now? Would it still not have been worth taking the drug to you? Either way, I wish you success in your future surgery. Thanks for posting this, it is really interesting to see.  

Jonny my father and grandparents died of cancer so I am not going to mess with a pill that affect my hormones also, I am against having to take a pill every day of my life or risk getting shock loss if I stop taking it. 

I let my crown thin out and used Toppik for  work but now I think enough is enough, It’s time for second and last HT. Luckily beard BHT evolved to the point that I can discuss having this procedure with a world class Dr. like Kaan Pekiner

Edited by Portugal25

5 minutes ago, Portugal25 said:

Jonny my father and grandparents died of cancer so I am not going to mess with a pill that affect my hormones also, I am against having to take a pill every day of my life that will cause shock loss if I stop taking it. 

I let my crown thin out and used Toppik for  work but now I think enough is enough, It’s time for second and last HT. Luckily beard BHT evolved to the point that I can discuss having this procedure with a world class Dr. like Kaan Pekiner

I totally respect your decision to not take any drug. I do question the part where you talk about shock loss though... ? This simply isn't true at all and the consequences of not taking it are worse than any kind of shock loss. If you mean 'shedding', then yes, but this is a good sign. 

Either way, Kaan Pekiner is a great up and comer, you are certainly correct. 

Edited by jonnyalex

13 minutes ago, hairman22 said:

did you lose your existing hair quite quickly after the transplant in 2008?

Maybe look into someone who smo also.

Crown started thinning 4 years after the HT but I was 25 years old when I had my HT and was warned by Dr. Rahal that this would happen. 

Dr. Pekiner assistant mentioned SMP but I am still waiting for their assessment and I haven’t yet researched about SMP

1 minute ago, Portugal25 said:

Crown started thinning 4 years after the HT but I was 25 years old when I had my HT and was warned by Dr. Rahal that this would happen. 

Dr. Pekiner assistant mentioned SMP but I am still waiting for their assessment and I haven’t yet researched about SMP

ok interesting how he knew before it started to thin.

yeah i think smp would a good option with a transplant.