waittosee

waittosee

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to get a HT in a couple months. While I continue my research for the right doctor I thought your inputs on my hair loss would speed up the research. Could you please make comments on how many grafts I should get, which technique I should go for FUT vs. FUE etc. All responses are greatly appreciated. Thanks y'all in advance.

P.S. I'm 27 years old living in Houston never had a HT.

9981037811_994BECFD98541E749D179AC232B10522.JPG.thumb 9781037811_AB3BFCE55A55C0B6FD912D870765837F.JPG.thumb 9291037811_A048F997AD2E6412770879BCC55D268B.JPG.thumb 8881037811_4DD457A1CE042BEB7CCF7D453D0B4CDA.JPG.thumb 6091037811_6B2432BA350FA3D13249841F3DCE42D8.JPG.thumb 2091037811_2A380775542730769DFC1533C3E45CC5.JPG.thumb

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to get a HT in a couple months. While I continue my research for the right doctor I thought your inputs on my hair loss would speed up the research. Could you please make comments on how many grafts I should get, which technique I should go for FUT vs. FUE etc. All responses are greatly appreciated. Thanks y'all in advance.

P.S. I'm 27 years old living in Houston never had a HT.

9981037811_994BECFD98541E749D179AC232B10522.JPG.thumb 9781037811_AB3BFCE55A55C0B6FD912D870765837F.JPG.thumb 9291037811_A048F997AD2E6412770879BCC55D268B.JPG.thumb 8881037811_4DD457A1CE042BEB7CCF7D453D0B4CDA.JPG.thumb 6091037811_6B2432BA350FA3D13249841F3DCE42D8.JPG.thumb 2091037811_2A380775542730769DFC1533C3E45CC5.JPG.thumb

Waittosee,

First of all, welcome to the forums. To help you educate yourself on and to research solutions for your hair loss is what they are here for.

Your pattern of hair loss is eerily similar to mine other than the fact that I had slightly more temporal recession and slightly less thinning at the crown.

You can take a look at my thread to see what 2,300 grafts did for me at the hairline and forelock here.

Are you on any medications for hairloss currently? By medications, I mean Finasteride (Propecia, Proscar), Minoxidil (Rogaine), etc? If not, you definitely want to look into those as options and as an addition to your plans for surgery.

We have put together our Hair Loss Learning Center to answer many questions regarding hair loss issues, treatments, and surgical options. You can find these and other interactive educational tools at www.regrowhair.com. Additionally, we just launched our newest addition to our line-up of educational content at www.hairrestorationnetwork.com.

Of particular interest to you may be our interactive graft calculator. While it will not take the place of a live consultation with a hair transplant physician, it is very accurate in determining how many grafts you would possibly need to accomodate your level of thinning at a particular density. This tool is located on the home page of www.hairrestorationnetwork.com at the bottom of the "blue box" that features hair loss educational videos.

In your search for a hair transplant physician, take a look at Dr. Bobby Limmer and Dr. Bradley Limmer; both are located in San Antonio, Texas. Dr. Bobby Limmer is known as the "Godfather of the Follicular Unit Grafting" in the hair restoration industry. Both physicians are highly respected in this field.

I wish you the best of luck in your search and, once again, welcome to the forums!

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• Administrators

Waittosee,

I welcome you as well to this forum. You have come to a great place to learn how to restore your hair.

When I first saw your photos the first word that came to mind was Propecia, followed by Propecia and then Propecia.

I think you should strongly consider getting on it now to stabalize your hair loss while you see what it can do to thicken up your thinning hair. Then in the mean time you can explore other options, including surgical.

As you can see from Roberts photos surgery, when done right, can restore hair in the areas where you have lost it. But your number one priority should be hanging on to what you have.

Well, enjoy this forum and all the resources and tools that are here to help you make the right choice for you.

Best wishes, Pat

I agree with all of Robert's comments.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Thank you for the responses guys. To your question Robert, I'm not on any kind of medication nor used before.

I'm reading about doctors on this forum and I came to the conclusion that if I ever have to get a HT, I'd probably go with either Dr. Limmer or Shapiro. Do you guys think these two doctors are indifferent on their work? My understanding from the various threads here is Shapiro seemed to involve in the operation more than Limmer does. How important is this issue? Should I start looking into doctors' associates also? Thanks for the help...

Waittosee,

For my two cents, check out Dr. Keene in Tucson, she did my 2000+ a week ago and I have NO reservations in recommending her. She also does procedures at Dr. Shapiro's clinic one week per month, this is only my suggestion though. Best of luck in your investigation-Bonzo

Waittosee,

It is crucial that a physician is involved with the procedure but that is not to detract from Dr. Limmer at all. Quite the contrary, once the strip excission is completed and the graft are made it is not uncommon for the skilled technicians to perform most of the graft placement. Of course, this is done under the supervision of the physician, but this is where the years of experience that the technicians have come into play.

I am confident that both Dr. Limmer and Dr. Shapiro do comparably excellent work. You would be in great hands with either physician. I only referred you to Dr. Limmer because he was in your immediate vicinity.

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I echo the above statements. Its hard to tell how many grafts by pics of your density, but it looks like you could get 2,000 fu-- I would also recommend if not doing already, take propecia and 5% rogaine daily. YOur HT, I would consult with your phsycian about your goals, and what opinions he/she has, but probably would try to focus just on the hairline/temple and midscalp right now due to your younger age. With future loss later you can work on your crown--then you know you had enough donor for the most important part of the scalp-- the hairline. Best of luck..

Well said, Smoothy.

What Dr. Cooley recommended for me (and what has worked for me with great success) is exactly what Smoothy said: he concentrated on my hairline and forelock so as to "frame" my face and give me back a hairline that is suitable for my age (yet is not so low as to become detrimental later on as I age). I am letting the medications work on my crown for now, since that is usually where they are the most effective. You may decide that this is the best approach for you too.

-Robert