PLEASE HELP...

Ty

Howdy everyone... I'm a 21 year old white male who is having real problems with losing my hair. I think that I wouldn't be freaking out so much, or at all really, if I was 30 or even 25. However, I am losing my hair and I need some advice/support with how to deal with it.

So here's the story... All my life I have freaked out about losing my hair. My Dad is big time bald (Class 5-6)and his Dad was, too. My parents had always reassured me that I would be fine because when my mom's dad died, he had never experienced hair loss (nor have her two brothers). I would currently classify myself as a Level 2, but I am beginning to thin in more of a Level 4 or 5 pattern. I've been taking Propecia for 6 months now, and I do believe that it has helped...just not enough. Further, I just recently purchased ScalpMed topical ointment online(Any thoughts on this product would be greatly appreciated). Prior to the start of my hair loss, I had extremely thick hair.

Aside from going to see Dr. Konior outside Chicago, which I plan to do, what should I do? My Dad thinks I'm overreacting, but I know that in his day there weren't one quarter of the options available. My Mom says I'll be handsome no matter what...which really pisses me off because I'd rather break my nose and jaw twenty times before becoming a Level 5 or worse.

I really need some help.

Thanks, Ty

Howdy everyone... I'm a 21 year old white male who is having real problems with losing my hair. I think that I wouldn't be freaking out so much, or at all really, if I was 30 or even 25. However, I am losing my hair and I need some advice/support with how to deal with it.

So here's the story... All my life I have freaked out about losing my hair. My Dad is big time bald (Class 5-6)and his Dad was, too. My parents had always reassured me that I would be fine because when my mom's dad died, he had never experienced hair loss (nor have her two brothers). I would currently classify myself as a Level 2, but I am beginning to thin in more of a Level 4 or 5 pattern. I've been taking Propecia for 6 months now, and I do believe that it has helped...just not enough. Further, I just recently purchased ScalpMed topical ointment online(Any thoughts on this product would be greatly appreciated). Prior to the start of my hair loss, I had extremely thick hair.

Aside from going to see Dr. Konior outside Chicago, which I plan to do, what should I do? My Dad thinks I'm overreacting, but I know that in his day there weren't one quarter of the options available. My Mom says I'll be handsome no matter what...which really pisses me off because I'd rather break my nose and jaw twenty times before becoming a Level 5 or worse.

I really need some help.

Thanks, Ty

Ty,

You've taken the first step in dealing with the loss in starting Propecia. If you don't mind the messy regimen you may want to add minoxidil. Keep in mind, if you want to keep the hair gained from either of these it is a life long commitment. If and when you stop using them, anything you may have gained will be lost in a matter of time.

As for family history determining your loss.............no way to tell. Yes, it's genetic, but whether it's from your mother's side, father's side.......there's no way to make that determination for sure. I was told the same thing...........my mother's father had a full head of hair when he passed away at 60 years of age, my hair was supposedly like his............I started hair loss at age 23 or so and was Norwood 4 at the time of my first HT January 2005. My father lost his hair too, but he lost it receding from front to back but mine was the crown forward. Don't get hung up on family history, it is what it is. You cannot predict loss and how much you'll experience. The closest thing to an indicator, IMO, is the pattern that forms on your head when you are losing your hair.

At your age, it will be very, very difficult to determine your ultimate "loss pattern" and how much you will lose. If you start with HT's now, you may run out of donor hair......there's really no way to tell. If I were you, I'd stick with the meds for a few years................if you're not a good responder to Propecia, you may want to try Avodart which blocks both DHT AR-II and AR-I (total of over 90% blocked). Propecia only blocks DHT AR-II (total of 70% blocked). If you do, be sure to THOROUGHLY research it because there can be more risks involved with Avodart. Also, try a good haircare regimen like Nioxin and Nizoral. You can always go the HT route later if need be.

Oh, I don't want to forget about the scalpmed........................I know you just bought it but it's worthless and I wouldn't trust putting it on my head. Use the find feature on this site and research some prior threads on it. The only things proven to halt hair loss and regrow hair are Finasteride (Propecia) and Minoxidil.

Hope this helps.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

hairbank

can i ask a question please? does everyone taking propecia suffer shedding at some point?

and also would you suggest cutting my hair shorter taking propecia and using nizoral 3 times a week all at the same time? the last thing i want is to keep my hair at the current length and it all starts shedding cause of propecia? what do you think ?

Originally posted by jonn:

hairbank

can i ask a question please? does everyone taking propecia suffer shedding at some point?

and also would you suggest cutting my hair shorter taking propecia and using nizoral 3 times a week all at the same time? the last thing i want is to keep my hair at the current length and it all starts shedding cause of propecia? what do you think ?

No, I don't think everyone taking Propecia experiences shedding. From my personal experience it was impossible to determine since I started using Finasteride immediately after a HT, hair was clipped ultra short and I had some shockloss from the HT.

If you're asking about cutting your hair short when you start Propecia, I'd probably leave it longer in case you do have shedding to help covering up any thinning areas. I believe Nizoral can only help when used in conjunction with Propecia so I'd use it no matter what.

Keep in mind............as I said earlier, everyone doesn't experience shedding but if you do, it should eventually come back. Several have posted about their personal frustration with shedding and waiting it out. Try using the find feature for more information.

Good luck!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.