Dr Shapiro

Having visited these pages previously to try and find out which Doctor to go to, I finally chose Dr Shapiro having been extremely impressed with the work he carried out on one of his patients.

I'm now back in England having had relatively minor surgery (900 grafts) and would like to inform everyone present that the procedure, care and professionalism was all first class.

I arrived in America the day before my surgery and popped in to the clinic where I discussed the procedure and my concerns with the doc. I felt very reaasured that I was in good hands and to be honest the doctor did by no means persuade me into having the surgery. It was totally my choice and I'm very glad i've had it done.

The attention given to you is excellent compared to what you receive in England.

The procedure itself is not as painful as I thought it would be. The anasthesia is the worst part but can be compared to injections received when going to the dentist. Once this was complete the rest was fine. I didn't feel a thing.

My concerns with surgery were as follows: 1: Shock loss. 2: pain and regrowth. 3: Donor scar.

Well shock loss was explained to me by Doctor Shapiro and being a Norwood scale 2 I was obviouslly concerned. However, it is the tiny velus hairs or hairs that are more than likely going to fall out anyway that are at risk. I am now 6 days post op, and my hair is the same as it was prior to surgery. I have basically filled in some recession areas and re-established my hair line.

As mentioned the pain only relates to the anasthesia. There is a little tightness at the donor area but I have been given pain killers to ease that.

The donor scar was what I was most concerened about. I have not yet had my stitches removed, but I can't even see them. My mum could not find them but I will let you know the size once the stitches have been removed. I generally wear my hair at the back short and I am confident that the scar will not be an issue. I think it will just look like a crease of skin and will be able to grow my hair as short as 5mm if not shorter at the back.

All I have to do now is sit back and wait for the hair to grow.

My choice was a toss up between Woods and Shapiro. I did not hear anything bad about both these guys. Shapiro's work looks fantastic and apart from the scar which doesn't appear to be a problem Shapiro was for me. Woods is expensive and although I saw his video I wasn't 100% convinced about whether his procedure is proven.

I hope this post helps other people like me, as I was somewhat disheartened by a lot of the slagging off and biasness towards certain surgeons.

Having visited these pages previously to try and find out which Doctor to go to, I finally chose Dr Shapiro having been extremely impressed with the work he carried out on one of his patients.

I'm now back in England having had relatively minor surgery (900 grafts) and would like to inform everyone present that the procedure, care and professionalism was all first class.

I arrived in America the day before my surgery and popped in to the clinic where I discussed the procedure and my concerns with the doc. I felt very reaasured that I was in good hands and to be honest the doctor did by no means persuade me into having the surgery. It was totally my choice and I'm very glad i've had it done.

The attention given to you is excellent compared to what you receive in England.

The procedure itself is not as painful as I thought it would be. The anasthesia is the worst part but can be compared to injections received when going to the dentist. Once this was complete the rest was fine. I didn't feel a thing.

My concerns with surgery were as follows: 1: Shock loss. 2: pain and regrowth. 3: Donor scar.

Well shock loss was explained to me by Doctor Shapiro and being a Norwood scale 2 I was obviouslly concerned. However, it is the tiny velus hairs or hairs that are more than likely going to fall out anyway that are at risk. I am now 6 days post op, and my hair is the same as it was prior to surgery. I have basically filled in some recession areas and re-established my hair line.

As mentioned the pain only relates to the anasthesia. There is a little tightness at the donor area but I have been given pain killers to ease that.

The donor scar was what I was most concerened about. I have not yet had my stitches removed, but I can't even see them. My mum could not find them but I will let you know the size once the stitches have been removed. I generally wear my hair at the back short and I am confident that the scar will not be an issue. I think it will just look like a crease of skin and will be able to grow my hair as short as 5mm if not shorter at the back.

All I have to do now is sit back and wait for the hair to grow.

My choice was a toss up between Woods and Shapiro. I did not hear anything bad about both these guys. Shapiro's work looks fantastic and apart from the scar which doesn't appear to be a problem Shapiro was for me. Woods is expensive and although I saw his video I wasn't 100% convinced about whether his procedure is proven.

I hope this post helps other people like me, as I was somewhat disheartened by a lot of the slagging off and biasness towards certain surgeons.

• Administrators

James,

Congradulations on your surgery with Dr. Shapiro. And thanks for sharing your experience for the bennefit of all.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Pat

Thanks for reading this post. But it's your posts that make this discussion group real and vital. Please jump into the discussion. Just pick a topic and click the reply button.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.