My experience with Dr Shapiro

Hi.

I will be 4 weeks post op on Tuesday, and so far everything has gone really well.

For those of you considering having a HT I will briefly discuss my experience as follows. I also have photographs of my current status. I also have photos prior to surgery although there is very little difference now and then. I'm not sure how you send photos here, but if you email me at jameslewis@totalise.co.uk I will send you the photos direct.

Ok.

My surgery was at Shapiro's on Tuesday 8th January 2002. I arrived in Minneapolis on Sunday 6th to allow me to relax and familiarise myself with the place.

On Monday I visited Dr Shapiro and his consultant Matt who thoroughly went through everthing I was concerned about. I must say the set up and offices are extremely professional which in itself puts your mind at rest. The staff were unbelievably friendly and having been very nervous, I was now getting quite excited.

My main concerns were shock loss and the donor scar.

Dr Shapiro explained that shock loss is an issue that generally effects hairs that are on their last life anyway. Because I was having hairs transplanted in my receeding areas where no hair existed, there is less risk of shock loss occuring. Dr Shapiro did say if hair is transplanted in areas where hair exist then there is more chance of losing that hair. In the 10 years he has practiced at Shapiro's shock loss has not been an issue and this was extremely encouraging to hear. I must add that at the front of my hairline where it was relatively thinning out, Dr Shapiro did add some hairs to give a natural and consistent appearance. This was all discussed with me and I was happy.

The donor scar was a big concern but again Dr Shapiro had a look at my hair and advised that it would be very thin and virtually undetedtable. I am 4 weeks post op and to be honest I can't even see the scar. I am more than prepared to show photos of this area, but it is unlikely that you will see anything. The scar is about 2mm thick and approximately 10cm wide. This scar is slightly red but will heal over time.

I discussed my frontal hair line with Doctor Shapiro and it was up to me how low down I could have my hairline. I took into consideration the possibility of future hair loss and decided to create a natural recession appearance. I had about 900 grafts implanted to create my desire.

On the morning of surgery, Matt picked me up from a local hotel and once at his office discussed my procedure, my hairline and my final thoughts and concerns. I looked at previous patients photos but I was already satisfied with the final results having met a previous patient in England who had surgery in April 2001.

Although I don't want to sound bias, the staff were totally helpful, supporting and friendly. I just couldn't imagine such service anywhere in England.

I was given some tablets to relax me although I was pretty relaxed at this stage anyway. I was taken to the surgery room where the set up was similar to going to a dentist. I laid back in a dentist chair and was introduced to the assistant girls which was great.

The first procedure was to numb my head with the anaesthesia. This was the most painful part of the surgery, but no where near as painful as I thought. It is comparable to having injections at the dentist when your mouth is numbed, albeit that there are about 20 injections to the front and back of your head. During the injections I was talking to the staff and watching films which takes your mind of the anaesthetic.

Once this was done, Dr Shapiro cut out the donor strip at the back of my head which I did not feel at all. There was a sensation that you knew what he was doing, but this did not hurt at all. Infact there was no further pain throughout the rest of the procedure. Dr Shapiro stitched up the donor area with a running stitch that stays in between 10-14 days.

The donor strip was given to the assistants to disect under microscopic conditions. At this time tiny slits were cut into the recipient area and then it was time for lunch.

The implanting of the hairs were next and after about 6 hours my procedure was complete.

I discussed the post operation after care with the Doctor and assistant nurses and was allowed to go back to the hotel. I had my mum with me for morale support and I was given pain killers and a graftcyte solution which needed to be applied regularly on the grafts for about 3 days.

As I was not going back to London until Sunday, I visited Shapiro daily following surgery for them to monitor my scalp and wash my hair. They were very pleased with my surgery and so was I.

I strictly adhered to the post op instructions as this was my first time. I applied ice on my forehead and swelling was generally a non issue. I was very careful when washing my hair once I arrived home but everything was healing well.

The donor area is generally tender and a little itchy until the stitches are removed. I had my stitches removed 14 days after surgery at my local clinic. Sleeping is a little awkward whilst the stitches are in, but once removed movement and mobility of my head and neck was much more flexible.

I returned back to work apprximately 2 weeks after my procedure and no one at work noticed I had anything done. I brushed my existing hair over the grafts and generally my hair appeared somewhat thicker anyway with the grafts being in place.

The scabs and implanted hairs have now virtually all fallen out, which is supposed to happen. My hair now is exactly the same as it was prior to surgery. However, I have cut my hair since surgery to give my hair a tidy up. I always generally wear my hair relatively short but I had to grow my hair at the back to cover the donor area. So a cut was required.

The hair follicles are still in place in the graft area and it is now just a question of waiting. I guess about 3-4 months hopefully.

I will keep you informed.

My donor area at the back is still a bit tender but only when I touch it. Apart from this I feel fine and am washing my hair like normal.

I will be playing football again next weekend although I may wait another week just to be on the safe side.

Prior to surgery I carried out lots of research in England. I would advise not to go anywhere in England. They are just interested in your money. Their procedures aren't as advanced and their set up doesn't inspire confidence. Stay away from Wellesbourne, DHI and The Harley medical group. Farjo appears reasonable as they did not persuade me to have a HT. In America stay away from Bosley, Brandy, MHR. Berstein is apparently comparable to Shapiro and Woods is supposedly also very good. My personal opinion of Woods is that they remove hair from the donor area only using an eye microscope with all your existing hair in place. Surely this is extremely difficult and must be somewhat traumatic in it's own right. I'm not criticising Woods, but I would do more research on his procedure and see other patients before recommending him.

Personally I am so glad I went to Shapiro's. Their professionalism and attitude is second to none.

I would be glad to answer any questions you have but in the meantime hope that this post helps other people.

Regards.

James.

Hi.

I will be 4 weeks post op on Tuesday, and so far everything has gone really well.

For those of you considering having a HT I will briefly discuss my experience as follows. I also have photographs of my current status. I also have photos prior to surgery although there is very little difference now and then. I'm not sure how you send photos here, but if you email me at jameslewis@totalise.co.uk I will send you the photos direct.

Ok.

My surgery was at Shapiro's on Tuesday 8th January 2002. I arrived in Minneapolis on Sunday 6th to allow me to relax and familiarise myself with the place.

On Monday I visited Dr Shapiro and his consultant Matt who thoroughly went through everthing I was concerned about. I must say the set up and offices are extremely professional which in itself puts your mind at rest. The staff were unbelievably friendly and having been very nervous, I was now getting quite excited.

My main concerns were shock loss and the donor scar.

Dr Shapiro explained that shock loss is an issue that generally effects hairs that are on their last life anyway. Because I was having hairs transplanted in my receeding areas where no hair existed, there is less risk of shock loss occuring. Dr Shapiro did say if hair is transplanted in areas where hair exist then there is more chance of losing that hair. In the 10 years he has practiced at Shapiro's shock loss has not been an issue and this was extremely encouraging to hear. I must add that at the front of my hairline where it was relatively thinning out, Dr Shapiro did add some hairs to give a natural and consistent appearance. This was all discussed with me and I was happy.

The donor scar was a big concern but again Dr Shapiro had a look at my hair and advised that it would be very thin and virtually undetedtable. I am 4 weeks post op and to be honest I can't even see the scar. I am more than prepared to show photos of this area, but it is unlikely that you will see anything. The scar is about 2mm thick and approximately 10cm wide. This scar is slightly red but will heal over time.

I discussed my frontal hair line with Doctor Shapiro and it was up to me how low down I could have my hairline. I took into consideration the possibility of future hair loss and decided to create a natural recession appearance. I had about 900 grafts implanted to create my desire.

On the morning of surgery, Matt picked me up from a local hotel and once at his office discussed my procedure, my hairline and my final thoughts and concerns. I looked at previous patients photos but I was already satisfied with the final results having met a previous patient in England who had surgery in April 2001.

Although I don't want to sound bias, the staff were totally helpful, supporting and friendly. I just couldn't imagine such service anywhere in England.

I was given some tablets to relax me although I was pretty relaxed at this stage anyway. I was taken to the surgery room where the set up was similar to going to a dentist. I laid back in a dentist chair and was introduced to the assistant girls which was great.

The first procedure was to numb my head with the anaesthesia. This was the most painful part of the surgery, but no where near as painful as I thought. It is comparable to having injections at the dentist when your mouth is numbed, albeit that there are about 20 injections to the front and back of your head. During the injections I was talking to the staff and watching films which takes your mind of the anaesthetic.

Once this was done, Dr Shapiro cut out the donor strip at the back of my head which I did not feel at all. There was a sensation that you knew what he was doing, but this did not hurt at all. Infact there was no further pain throughout the rest of the procedure. Dr Shapiro stitched up the donor area with a running stitch that stays in between 10-14 days.

The donor strip was given to the assistants to disect under microscopic conditions. At this time tiny slits were cut into the recipient area and then it was time for lunch.

The implanting of the hairs were next and after about 6 hours my procedure was complete.

I discussed the post operation after care with the Doctor and assistant nurses and was allowed to go back to the hotel. I had my mum with me for morale support and I was given pain killers and a graftcyte solution which needed to be applied regularly on the grafts for about 3 days.

As I was not going back to London until Sunday, I visited Shapiro daily following surgery for them to monitor my scalp and wash my hair. They were very pleased with my surgery and so was I.

I strictly adhered to the post op instructions as this was my first time. I applied ice on my forehead and swelling was generally a non issue. I was very careful when washing my hair once I arrived home but everything was healing well.

The donor area is generally tender and a little itchy until the stitches are removed. I had my stitches removed 14 days after surgery at my local clinic. Sleeping is a little awkward whilst the stitches are in, but once removed movement and mobility of my head and neck was much more flexible.

I returned back to work apprximately 2 weeks after my procedure and no one at work noticed I had anything done. I brushed my existing hair over the grafts and generally my hair appeared somewhat thicker anyway with the grafts being in place.

The scabs and implanted hairs have now virtually all fallen out, which is supposed to happen. My hair now is exactly the same as it was prior to surgery. However, I have cut my hair since surgery to give my hair a tidy up. I always generally wear my hair relatively short but I had to grow my hair at the back to cover the donor area. So a cut was required.

The hair follicles are still in place in the graft area and it is now just a question of waiting. I guess about 3-4 months hopefully.

I will keep you informed.

My donor area at the back is still a bit tender but only when I touch it. Apart from this I feel fine and am washing my hair like normal.

I will be playing football again next weekend although I may wait another week just to be on the safe side.

Prior to surgery I carried out lots of research in England. I would advise not to go anywhere in England. They are just interested in your money. Their procedures aren't as advanced and their set up doesn't inspire confidence. Stay away from Wellesbourne, DHI and The Harley medical group. Farjo appears reasonable as they did not persuade me to have a HT. In America stay away from Bosley, Brandy, MHR. Berstein is apparently comparable to Shapiro and Woods is supposedly also very good. My personal opinion of Woods is that they remove hair from the donor area only using an eye microscope with all your existing hair in place. Surely this is extremely difficult and must be somewhat traumatic in it's own right. I'm not criticising Woods, but I would do more research on his procedure and see other patients before recommending him.

Personally I am so glad I went to Shapiro's. Their professionalism and attitude is second to none.

I would be glad to answer any questions you have but in the meantime hope that this post helps other people.

Regards.

James.

GOOD POST....

HOWBOUT POSTING SOME PICS....?

ARE YOU COMMING BACK FOR MORE PROCEDURES....?

HOW OLD ARE YOU....?

I WOULD HAVE TO SAY AS FAR AS STRIP EXCISION DOCTORS GO YOU PROBABLY MADE A GOOD DECISON WHEN CHOOSING DR. SHAPIRO. HE SEEMS TO HAVE A LARGE FOLLOWING AND QUITE A BIT OF SATISIFIED PATIENTS. I PERSONALLY, AM NOT A FAN OF THE STRIP EXCISION AND WILL CHOOSE DR. WOODS FOR MY PROCEDURE BUT IF I WAS NOT AWARE OF DR. WOODS I TOO WOULD PROBABLY CHOOSE DR. SHAPIRO. MY GREATEST FEAR ALSO IS THE DONOR SCAR. SOME HEAL PROPERLY, SOME DONT. I WILL NOT BE ONE OF THE "SOME DONTS". THAT IS ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS WHY I WILL PERSONALY CHOOSE DR. WOODS.

GNX... icon_cool.gif

• Administrators

James,

Congratulations on your surgery. And thanks for taking the time to share your experience and acknowledge the good work they did for you.

Good work needs to rewarded, just as much as poor work needs to be pointed out.

Best wishes for excellent hair growth.

Please keep us all posted on your progress.

Pat

Thanks for reading this post. But it's your posts that make this discussion group real and vital. Please jump into the discussion. Just pick a topic and click the reply button.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.