Planning to perform HT with Hair Club

Hi frds,

I need some advice regarding getting HT done at Hair Club one of the hair transplant chains. The doctor is Jon W Gaffney. They offered to do the transplant for $3.50 per graft. I went to Bosley too. They said it costs around $8 per graft and I dont remember the doctor's name.

I dont know if its ok to perform the HT with Hair Club. Are there people in the form who had prior experince with Hair Club. How far is it reliable?? How about Dr Jon W Gaffeney. I haven't heard any thing about him in the internet. Could you guyz please help me deicide.

Thanks a lot

Hi frds,

I need some advice regarding getting HT done at Hair Club one of the hair transplant chains. The doctor is Jon W Gaffney. They offered to do the transplant for $3.50 per graft. I went to Bosley too. They said it costs around $8 per graft and I dont remember the doctor's name.

I dont know if its ok to perform the HT with Hair Club. Are there people in the form who had prior experince with Hair Club. How far is it reliable?? How about Dr Jon W Gaffeney. I haven't heard any thing about him in the internet. Could you guyz please help me deicide.

Thanks a lot

Since Hair club specializes in wigs, why would you even consider this???? Please do a search on bosley, you will save yourself from making the worst mistake of your life. HT is serious surgery even though it is not open heart surgery. The results will be out front for everyone to see. Thier are many good doctors whose pricing are 3-5 dollars a graft.

I guess one good thing about hair club is that if the they botch your HT, they can cover it with a toupee (at a discount) icon_eek.gif

NoBuzz

Heman123, I have not heard of Dr. Jon W. Gaffeney, and everyone deserves a chance to prove himself so do a lot of research on him, his clinic and the whole industry. I did and I'm so glad!! You don't want to gamble with your finite donor hair. Good luck and don't make a decision until you've talked to the many people here that really know what's up.

See what Nobuzz stated above?? Dito!

DON'T GO THERE. Research all the top Coalition docs on this site. Count your blessings you found this site.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Heman123,

You know how they say "go with your gut"? I believe when it comes to an HT, this is unwise.

Surgery is serious and needs to be understood. It's also important to go with a surgeon that is researchable and known to be consistent with positive results.

Also...

Is an HT even right for you?

How old are you? Are you on finasteride and/or minoxodil to prevent future loss? How much hair loss do you currently have? (aka, where are you on the norwood scale?)

My advice...see one of our coalition doctors and let them give you their evaluation. A link can be found here: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp

Bill

Hi Bill,

I am 27 years old and i am in the 4th stage on the Norwood Scale. No, I have not used anything to prevent future hair loss. I am a little skeptical about using medication (Scared about the side effects). I live in Los Angeles, so, I found Rassman was good, but its too expensive to get the surgery done by him. I haven't heard much about the other doctors though. So I am kind a confused. Please frds...help me decide

Search this site for all the threads, old and new, on the chain clinics. Read them. You're chances of getting an excellent doctor and result at one of the chains is very very slim. You might, but most likely not. When you want really good food, as in a nice dinner out, do you go to McDonalds? They serve thousands every day and therefor must "mass produce"; hence, quality suffers. Same with the chain clinics. Please study and research. You're nervous about the medications side effects but are considering going to a chain clinic for surgery on a part of your body eveyone will look directly at for the rest of your life? Think about it, seriously.

Originally posted by pushing 40:

When you want really good food, as in a nice dinner out, do you go to McDonalds? They serve thousands every day and therefor must "mass produce"; hence, quality suffers. Same with the chain clinics.

Pushing, at least with McDonalds you know what to expect, with a Bosley doctor you are playing Russian roulette. icon_eek.gif

NoBuzz

Bosley and hairclub are the worst choices. I have heard so many terrible stories about these two hair replacement franchises..

Find a good clinic and doctor.. There's many good doctor's out there and if you have to travel to have it completed atleast it will be worth the trip.

Heman,

I wouldn't get hung up on the prices just yet. Once you research the top quality HT clinics out there, I think you will find that we tend to offer a better service at a better price.

Do your homework and you will be rewarded!

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I agree...

Price should be the LAST thing you consider at this point. But I do agree that Dr. Rassman is over priced.

Personally, IMO, here is a list of the elite of the elite doctors in no particular order: (disclaimer: there are many doctors that are less publicized that may be as good, but I don't have the evidence at this point to add them to my personal list)

Dr. Hasson

Dr. Wong

Dr. Feller

Dr. Rahal

Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Rose

These doctors along with many other quality physicians can be found on the coalition here: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp

Do not let location dictate which clinic you choose. Many travel all over the world in order to see an elite surgeon.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill,

I noticed that you did not include Dr. True in your list of recommnded surgeons but you did have a procedure done by him in the past. Were you dissatisfied with the results w/ Dr. True? Thanks.

Hi Friends,

Thanks a looot for all your suggessions. Now I dropped my idea of going to Hair Club and planning to go to Dr. William Reed at La Jolla, California. He is a member of the coalition, so I assume I am in right direction. Please let me if know your thoughts.

Thanks

Heman

mpd,

Dr. True is a fine surgeon IMO...

However...

There are two reasons I did not list him.

1. I haven't seen any recent work by him - honestly, I haven't seen any work posted by any of his patients since I had my surgery with him.

Whereas he may be just as qualified, those doctors I don't continually see work by fall off my list of the elite, especially since much has changed in the last 2 years.

2. Experientially, I feel I received a good transplant - truly he does solid FUT work.

I'm not convinced, however, (unless something has changed) that he uses the most refined instrumentation for making recipient incisions. I can't post it right now, but if you compare my 2nd surgery immediately post op pics with my third surgery immediately post op pictures, the incisions from the third surgery look smaller and more refined.

Now remember that we are dealing with 16 months in between surgeries. Things may have changed.

But also, in addition to comparing my immediately post op pictures, the fact that I had much more shockloss in my first two surgeries than my third surgery indicate the possibility of larger instrumentation being used as well.

Please understand...

This post is NOT intended to give Dr. True a bad name....I feel he did good work. Anyone considering going to him will be in good hands. But if I am comparing personal experiences, the third was in a different league - to be honest.

I would LOVE to see some recent work by Dr. True, because I haven't seen any for a few years.

Bill

I have appointments to consult with Dr. Siporin in Beverly Hills and Dr. Straub in Torrance.

I made an inquiry to Dr. McAndrew, and I received a sort of condescending e-mail from his staff that a consultation would be a non-refundable $100.

Both Drs. Straub and Siporin contacted me personally and promptly.

No extra charge for the alliteration.,

I'd be interested to hear what Mrjb, who had 3 surgeries with Dr. True, have to say in response to Bill's remark on Dr. True. For that matter, does anyone know why Mrjb, being a veteran and highly-repsected member of HTN, does not post any pics of his surgery? Is it because of privacy issues?

Bill, did you ever considered going to Dr. Shapiro? Or to Dr. Feller since he is in NY also like Dr. True and close to PA? If so, why didn't you?

rp1979,

yes, I've considered going to Dr. Feller, in fact...he was originally my first choice for my second HT - though I was reluctant to shave the recipient area.

But honestly, it took a long time for someone to get back to me, and then when whoever the woman was that got back to me finally did, she seemed short with me. Honestly, I just didn't get a good vibe from her...never did talk to Dr. Feller. I don't hold this against him or his practice...this is long ago. BUT, I wasn't pleased at the time with how it was all handled, so I went elsewhere. Dr. True also known to be a quality physician - I researched him well before I chose him, did provide me with quality work.

I put Shapiro up there with the best of the best, as well as Feller, but by my third surgery, I was drawn more to Dr. Hasson - personal choice.

Bill

Mrjb won't post photos because he has been in the witness protection program for several years because he helped bust the Columbian Cartel. Since he has had to get HT's, facial reconstruction and I think breast augmentation. icon_smile.gif

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NN- you are killing me icon_biggrin.gif

Heman, I agree that you should not make cost your deal maker although it is a facor but keep in mind that it may just require you save a bit longer just to make the difference. Also, there are financing options available for hair transplants that you could look into. Prior to my transplant I researched several hihgly recommended docs and found them to be generally in the same ball park with pricing. Also don't limit yourself to your geographical area either as travel and overnight accomodation costs are minimal compared to the cost of the procedure.

Also consider that some docs offer discounts during their "slow" season, or if you are willing to take an appt on the fly when one is cancelled can provide you with a price break.

My point is that there are options you can exercise when it comes to cost so don't let that be how you base your final decision. I guarantee that in the long run you will think very little of how much it costs but you will always carry the burden of a below-par transplant.

HIGA

2400 Grafts with Dr. Epstein 11/8/06

Nizoral 3X/week

Rogaine foam 2x/day

Stop it NN

You are killing my cover !! icon_razz.gif

The sad part is, I never took any before pics

Yes, I understand everyones concern for me not

posting pics but it is my decision not to due

to professional issues.

For the record, I can assure you although

conservative, Dr.True's results are as good as

any photo's I have seen on here.. My hairline

is extremely natural and undetectable although

I did have some native hair previously.

Again, there are atleast 10 docs on here who

can provide the same high level results .

have seen

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!