Dr. William Lindsey

3,300 grafts with Dr. Lindsey of Reston, Virginia- Pre and post-op 18 months

This patient was a stage 6 hairloss suferrer who wore a hairpiece for 5 years. Because of the hairpiece he lost whatever remaining hair he had on the top of his head. The company that maintained his system also routinely shaved the lateral hump area to afix the system. His goal was to get rid of it all together.

We performed 3,300 follicular units on him with a strip method to provide him with a new hairline and some top coverage. Thankfully he has thick caliber hair and combs it backwards which makes his final result quite dramatic.

He is scheduled to have a second procedure in the top and crown.

William Lindsey, MD

Reston, Va

9311076853_F29B24F3DE92FDB6CD7B5C6AE3399C09.jpg.thumb 9211076853_9EC2C917E4EB7C81ADB8B245EA029D5E.jpg.thumb 8311076853_67F825EC51BD3D71951C9DAB9CF61154.jpg.thumb 7311076853_FE80BF273F4617DBB684457DA084B8E4.jpg.thumb 7261089853_2232E55C6A17CF3F49A0F194A89ED7F1.jpg.thumb 6311076853_73974C67C0426D8D1692D5E594EC9496.jpg.thumb 5461089853_9501E2BAC1923A513C2539B3ED1A5045.jpg.thumb 5311076853_DEAFBACB2A7318738CCAE388599E583F.jpg.thumb 4311076853_28A1EB9CF616DAE09251004C5C5D5DDB.jpg.thumb 3311076853_2B294115A54ED63201BEEA23681DFBD5.jpg.thumb 3061089853_AD3A4CC104A2DAFBC51A24072E5911F8.jpg.thumb 2851089853_E9C49B17092DA035285A3F7E4F1B263C.jpg.thumb 2311076853_DBD1BAE80316F4D1358D5E4ACF488DC5.jpg.thumb 2161089853_BE631220363F4775404A59355FD64FFA.jpg.thumb 1311076853_30032F786B367F7F72E4542B51AD345D.jpg.thumb

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

For 3300 grafts it has made a great change in appearance for this guy. Judging from the pics this guy was in a very advanced stage of balding. From the pictures he looks almost to be a norwood 7.

Adding density to the hairline and filling in the crown could be the next step for this guy.

max

Dr. Lindsey,

The results look nice, but I'm not sure they are a true reflection of the result.

Here are a few observations/suggestions.

The before picture (look carefully) below seems to reveal evidence of a lot of shaved or freshly growing native hair all over the scalp including the areas transplanted.

3311076853_2B294115A54ED63201BEEA23681DFBD5.jpg

The "bald" before pictures therefore, don't seem to be a true reflection of the patient's balding condition. If my observations are correct, this also means the result can't be properly determined.

My observations are also found in what seems a lot of hair growing in the forelock / crown area (despite the fact that there is somewhat of a comb-over effect). The before picture would have you believe that he was completely bald in the transplanted and non-transplanted areas.

If you have additional high resolution, closeup pictures of this patient's before condition, this would be helpful in determining the quality of this result. Immediately postoperative photos would also be helpful.

Thanks,

Bill

I think that the picture in question is a bit deceptive -- in that it makes it look like he has more native hair then he really has (?). When I examined it more closer, and compared it to another pre-op shot (picture #5), it seems like it is the shadow/lighting giving it the appearance of a lot of fresh stubble/hair. I'm not totally sure, though, and I also thought that the picture you referrenced showed evidence of a relatively good amount of native hair.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Guest josh - b

there is no doubt that the patient has a much improved look but the most striking thing when u first look is indeed that comb backed comb over.So its kind of hard to tell whats going on.

His new hairline looks very natural.

Bill brings up a valid point. It's hard to tell if there was any native hair on the scalp prior to surgery that was shaved down pre-op. It certainly appears that he has a lot more hair post-op especially for 3300 grafts. If he was indeed slick bald, then this is a very good result IMO.

Picture three looks like there is hair there and to me picture five looks like there is very little if any.

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

For 3,300 grafts, I think it looks great. The patient has a huge change in their appearence.

Thank you for the comments. This patient was very pleased and is scheduled for a second surgery to address the top and the crown.

As for the mini-controversy concerning the possible presence of hair in the recipient area, there was none at all, nor did we shave anything. Any hair he did have within the the recipient area was killed by wearing his hair system and as such that area was completely alopectic and smooth long before his visit to us. This is very common in long time hair piece wearers.

He did have some hair in the lateral hump area that I outlined in one photo and mentioned in my original write up. Not much, but you can see a bit of it. You can also see a bit of hair recovering around the fringes of the crown where he used to affix his hair piece.

No doubt the back and sides of his head look better in the after pictures because he no longer wears the hair piece; and some of the hair has recovered. But, there was not one hair within the recipeint area prior to surgery nor was any of it shaved prior to surgery.

Most of the coverage in the back comes from this patient growing out his hair transplant and combing it backward. We did not work in the crown or the sides, only the area outlined in the photo which is the hairline, front and top as indicated in my initial write up.

We will post more photos of him when he has his second procedure and we will take video as well.

Thank you for all your comments. Our original photography was not designed for the web, but that will change now that I have a new digital camara and am learning the best way to shoot before/after picutres.

William Lindsey, MD

Reston, Virginia

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks for clearing that up Dr Lindsey,i can now say he now looks great and his second pass will sort him out nicely.

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

where exactly are the"lateral humps"?

are we talking about the "corners" of his head(for want of a better word)?because i feel you can definately see shaved down hair there.if so fair enough,results look good.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

Balody,

Lateral humps are above the ear area and extend upward. This is a prime place for hair pieces to be affixed with either glue or clips. In this case it was glue.

I will get some help and draw on the photos where his original hair was and where the transplanted hairs are as well as the lateral humps.

Let me reiterate, we did not shave the recipient area at all. I honestly don't see what you all talking about with respect to shaved hair. Perhaps it's because I know what this patient looks like in real life.

I will post descriptive pictures when I can get help doing them later to day.

McLean, VA

honestly don't see what you all talking about with respect to shaved hair. Perhaps it's because I know what this patient looks like in real life.

Dr. Lindsey,

If you look at the before picture I highlighted above, it seems like there are a number of native hairs both in the transplanted and non-transplanted region.

But chucky is correct that picture 5 does not appear this way.

It's just a question of clarity. I trust that with additional patient photo samples (including immediately postoperative photos), that the evidence of your work will come through.

Thanks for your participation.

Bill

Thank you.

Perhaps it looks like there is hair in the third picture because it is darker compared to the fifth picture and a bit grainier?

The third picture was shot only a few minutes after the 5th picture but in a slightly different position because I just drew the hairline and the outline of the recipient area on his head. No shaving was done at all because there was simply nothing to shave in the recipient area.

I will be getting the photos with the descriptions back soon and it will outline the areas where there was hair and where there wasn't.

I think this problem will be avoided in the future now that I have the proper camara and am getting the proper equipment and software to make better presentations.

McLean, VA

Dr. Lindsey,

I'm a little confused by the above so I'll ask for further clarification.

Was the transplanted hair placed only in the frontal half or all the way back toward the crown?

I understood your drawing layout on the patients head (below) as the area where you were transplanting hair (frontal region only).

7261089853_2232E55C6A17CF3F49A0F194A89ED7F1.jpg

Maybe I am wrong? If so, where did all the hair come from in the crown area (look in the blue area in picture below) that also looks bald in the before picture? I realize that his hair on top is long. But how much of it is combed over? How much is natural hair? How much is transplanted?

1551000953_image.jpg

If you have any immediately postoperative photos, this will help give our members an overall understanding of the placement of the grafts.

Thanks in advance for your explanation.

Bill

image.jpg

ALL the hair in the crown within the red border is from the transplants grown very long and combed backwards. The rest of the hair is from the regrown lateral humps which are within the yellow border area and combed into the crown.

The hair within your blue border is combed in from the transplants. There are no native hairs there. Isn't it obvious that all that hair extends back from the front in long strands?

I did not take postoperative photos as that was not routine for us at the time of his procedure. Now it is. We will be posting new photos and videos as we learn how to (which will be in a few days).

McLean, VA

The hair within your blue border is combed in from the transplants. There are no native hairs there. Isn't it obvious that all that hair extends back from the front in long strands?

Dr. Lindsey,

I don't know that "obvious" is the right word however, yes it does appear that way to those who are looking for that kind of detail.

However you must understand that seeking patients (especially newbies) are looking at the result as a whole and could be duped into thinking that the displayed result is due to hair transplanted all over the scalp.

This is especially important to know because what you are telling me is that in the blue area, this patient has a very large bald spot that isn't obvious from the pictures. At BEST, the patient will appear to have hair there with a combover look however, in even light winds, he will have a hard time concealing his bald spot.

I know you didn't intend to deceive. But it's important that pictures represent a true reflection of reality. I am sure now that you are taking immediately postoperative pictures, this will help clarify things in the future.

Thanks,

Bill

Dr. Lindsey, what a great result! Bottom line it probably helped transform this guys's outlook in life. He must feel great not having to wear a hair piece. This is really my first post, and have recently just had a 3017 procedure. I have had the luxury of viewing pictures and great feedback from members such as Bill, Jotronic, Spex, Taking the Plunge, etc. the past 4 years to make my decision.

If you look at a lot of 3000-3500 pictures of transplants its a mixed bag on results. I believe there is so much emphasis put on the number of grafts and how many hairs per graft, but no information is given on the hair diameter, which I think has a huge impact on the end result? One would assume that with todays technology that maybe the surgeon could do a sampling of 6 hairs and get the average diameter and list that as part of the information. It would nice to get some opinions. Thank you and to this Network, it really is a great resource.

Tom

This is an excellent transformation Dr. Lindsey. Did he come back for another pass?

** I wrote a book called Beating Hair Loss.

** It's available for FREE for 5 days at the start of August on Amazon kindle. Also available in paperback edition.

** Search for 'Beating Hair Loss' by Anthony Gambino on Amazon **

Travelled to New York from the UK for 2000 grafts in the hairline/front third region with Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. Very happy with my results.

Propecia daily

12.5% minoxidil once daily

5% Kirkland minoxidil foam a few times per week

Avodart once/twice per week

Hairline and frontal portion looks nicely done. Photos are a little deceptive. I think this is likely due to low resolution? On average, I wish there were more video results and higher res shots in natural light in the doc section. I often find more true to life images of results posted by patients section. No offense doc, I know you usually post good descriptions and detailed cases which is appreciated.