When can you really see results?

I'm 4 months post op now and I can see a few tiny thin hairs growing in front of my old micro-mini grafts. I had 1500 FU and I'm hoping the new transplant hides these old plugs in my hairline.

I know some doctors will come to you after the sixth month because that's when it's hot to close the next surgery. Some guys write "I'm going back to my hair transplant doctor next month for more density" as if they were getting their next haircut. I hope the FU transplant I had is good enough to keep me away from going back to another.

I know is probably too soon to see results. Every case is different but generally speaking, is the sixth month a standard to evaluate your yield ? Will there be significant growth after this month or will it be just the grown hair getting thicker ?

I'm 4 months post op now and I can see a few tiny thin hairs growing in front of my old micro-mini grafts. I had 1500 FU and I'm hoping the new transplant hides these old plugs in my hairline.

I know some doctors will come to you after the sixth month because that's when it's hot to close the next surgery. Some guys write "I'm going back to my hair transplant doctor next month for more density" as if they were getting their next haircut. I hope the FU transplant I had is good enough to keep me away from going back to another.

I know is probably too soon to see results. Every case is different but generally speaking, is the sixth month a standard to evaluate your yield ? Will there be significant growth after this month or will it be just the grown hair getting thicker ?

I've been told 6 months is not a good barometer of what the end result will look like. I think most hairs will be growing by the 6 month mark, but aesthetically it won't look close to complete.

I am 5 months post op of a 1400 FU prcedure on my hairline to camouflage old micrografts. I'd say 90% of my hairs have grown in, they are just not quite long or thick enough yet to make it totally undetectable, but it's getting close to the point where I could comb it back without it looking too obvious. I had quick growth, about 10-20% of the hairs bever fell out.

My doc told me that the hairs will start to thicken and mature between 8 and 10 months post op, so 9 months should give you a good idea of the end result, and the finished product will be about 12 months post op. E-mail me at ttm27@hotmail.com if you want to see my 5 month pic. I can also show you my before pic.

Results of my 1424 FU transplant procedure on 8/16/02 can be viewed at...

http://community.webshots.com/user/ttaco

MK25,

It's my understanding that for most, the greatest significance in growth occurs between 4 and 6 months. So hopefully things will start progressing soon. MY BEST TO YOU.

TTACO (or anyone else),

Did you have scaring along the hairline with the old proceedure and if so, did you have FUs inserted there? I do have scaring and had FUs inserted below and in the scar tissue. Although I'm optomistic for my results (I had grafts put in my scalp reduction scar without a problem), I would like to hear others experiences. I'm 2 months post op now and do see a touch of growth in that area. This is my one concern. THANKS.

Jim

"Temples 'n Crowns Forever"

Uncjim's Hair Loss WebLog

I think the majority of your hairs will be sprouted around 6-7 months, but don't under estimate how much coverage you'll get as these hairs mature. they may double or triple in diameter, giving you double or triple the coverage. Really it takes a year for the final effect. It's a long wait. If you don't; at the very least, see a very significant amount of fine or wispy hairs around 6 months then it is time for concern.

No, I didn't have scarring in the hairline area. My old hairline was not natural looking, even though the hair grew and the density was ok. I had always been able to hide the hairline for the most b/c my hair is pretty straight and I parted it on the side. Especially early on when I had remaining hairs there, it looked pretty good. But as time went by that started to change. If I combed my hair straight back it was VERY obvious the hairline was aesthetically poor.

Results of my 1424 FU transplant procedure on 8/16/02 can be viewed at...

http://community.webshots.com/user/ttaco

mk,

it's nice to finally be on the other end of the

fence,i'm a little over a year post op from a

dr. bernstein ht,and although you'll have

noticeable growth at 6-7 months the final result

will take a year.as time goes by the hairs will

thicken and become trained to your hairstyle

making it flow nicely.this was my first ht and

i'm thrilled with the results. good luck

Man, that's exciting to hear, figsy - I'm creepin' up on 3 months post-op here, and the waiting is getting tough.

Good deal of wispy ones starting to come through. Arrrrgggg! - I can't wait!

[This message was edited by HarryLemon on January 21, 2003 at 12:49 AM.]

After having a session of follicular unit grafts it may be four or five months before the hairs BEGIN to grow. The full result may not be seen for nine to twelve months.

I know it is difficult but try to be patient

Paul T. Rose, MD, JD

President ISHRS

Board of Trustees ISCLS

Dr. Paul Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dr. Rose,

Thanks for your encouraging words. Your post referred to "a session of follicular unit grafts" concerning the growth period. Should I assume from your answer that the earlier techniques of plugs, micros/minis may have taken less time, or am I reading your statement a little too closely? Having been through it all, I'd like to know. Again, I appreciate it.

Jim

"Temples 'n Crowns Forever"

Uncjim's Hair Loss WebLog

After 6 Procedures with Plugs, Micro's, and now Fu's 3 months ago, patients is the virtue !!

You should give it at LEAST 8 months to see what you are going to get and a full year for results of length and diameter of hair to increase to give you what you are going to get !!

Thanks icon_wink.gif