Seattle area - Comparison of Bosley versus Hasson & Wong

• Administrators

Note - This message was recopied by Pat the editor from the original discussion group to this vastly improved online community.

The name of orginal poster and the date posted are listed below:

Date: 7/4/01

Time: 12:30:49 AM

Remote Name: 4.40.61.124

Comments

I saw the Bosley infomercial. I had a consultation & was convinced. I did no research. I had 1600 grafts 10/2000 for $10,600. I was pleased also, until I did research and found out Bosley is too expensive and slightly behind the times. I had my second procedure by Dr. Victor Hasson at Hasson & Wong in Vancouver, B.C. 1530 grafts for $6,000. The differences were significant. At Hasson & Wong: the procedure was significantly less painful, the price was more reasonable with 1/2 paid ahead instead of full payment required ahead. The price was $4/graft for up to 1500, $2/graft for any over 1500! (He has done some procedures of 2400 to 3000 grafts in one session, first session. It was my second, so scalp elasticity limited the number for me.) The instrument used to cut the recipient sites was smaller (I could hear the difference). They also were willing (able)to put grafts in my temples. Bosley wouldn't do that, I was told I would look like an orangutan. Another vital difference. I paid for EXACTLY 1600 grafts at Bosley. I asked what if the number they actually get is different? (You know it will be). They Mumbled, hemmed and hawed and did everything but answer the question. You know, of course, what the answer was. If they got fewer than 1600 follicular units, they would HAVE TO cut the ones with 2,3 or four hairs into single hairs in order to fill up the prepunched 1600 holes. Either that or leave holes unfilled and gaps in the pattern, which I have a bit of in the crown. I was told no more holes would be cut, so if they got more than 1600 grafts then either singles were placed together into single sites or they were thrown away. The key is, they would not answer my question, except to say, "It works out". Tell me, does that sound like the best in the business??? Dr. Hasson cuts most of the recipient sites but stops short, waits for the EXACT count of follicular units, and then cuts EXACTLY that many sites. Then, That is what you are charged for.No other method is acceptable or honest. Also, one technician uses a microscope to dissect across the donor strip, obtaining squarish layers one follicular unit thick, which are then layed out flat and further dissected into follicular units by others. Thay claim to get 20-30% higher yield than without the microscope. I saw no microscope at Bosley. Another thing about Bosley. Although they will give you references to call, they will never let you see a patient in the clinic. They have a secret exit door down the hall from the entrance. If anyone else is in the clinic, they wait until the "coast is clear" before they let you leave the room. They also have a separate entrance for returning patients. No patients ever see each other. They say it's for privacy. In contrast, Hasson & Wong's clinic and the consultation office in Seattle were both very open & unembarassed, no skulking about or secret doors. I hope this helps those searching for a good surgeon.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

• Administrators

Note - This message was recopied by Pat the editor from the original discussion group to this vastly improved online community.

The name of orginal poster and the date posted are listed below:

Date: 7/4/01

Time: 12:30:49 AM

Remote Name: 4.40.61.124

Comments

I saw the Bosley infomercial. I had a consultation & was convinced. I did no research. I had 1600 grafts 10/2000 for $10,600. I was pleased also, until I did research and found out Bosley is too expensive and slightly behind the times. I had my second procedure by Dr. Victor Hasson at Hasson & Wong in Vancouver, B.C. 1530 grafts for $6,000. The differences were significant. At Hasson & Wong: the procedure was significantly less painful, the price was more reasonable with 1/2 paid ahead instead of full payment required ahead. The price was $4/graft for up to 1500, $2/graft for any over 1500! (He has done some procedures of 2400 to 3000 grafts in one session, first session. It was my second, so scalp elasticity limited the number for me.) The instrument used to cut the recipient sites was smaller (I could hear the difference). They also were willing (able)to put grafts in my temples. Bosley wouldn't do that, I was told I would look like an orangutan. Another vital difference. I paid for EXACTLY 1600 grafts at Bosley. I asked what if the number they actually get is different? (You know it will be). They Mumbled, hemmed and hawed and did everything but answer the question. You know, of course, what the answer was. If they got fewer than 1600 follicular units, they would HAVE TO cut the ones with 2,3 or four hairs into single hairs in order to fill up the prepunched 1600 holes. Either that or leave holes unfilled and gaps in the pattern, which I have a bit of in the crown. I was told no more holes would be cut, so if they got more than 1600 grafts then either singles were placed together into single sites or they were thrown away. The key is, they would not answer my question, except to say, "It works out". Tell me, does that sound like the best in the business??? Dr. Hasson cuts most of the recipient sites but stops short, waits for the EXACT count of follicular units, and then cuts EXACTLY that many sites. Then, That is what you are charged for.No other method is acceptable or honest. Also, one technician uses a microscope to dissect across the donor strip, obtaining squarish layers one follicular unit thick, which are then layed out flat and further dissected into follicular units by others. Thay claim to get 20-30% higher yield than without the microscope. I saw no microscope at Bosley. Another thing about Bosley. Although they will give you references to call, they will never let you see a patient in the clinic. They have a secret exit door down the hall from the entrance. If anyone else is in the clinic, they wait until the "coast is clear" before they let you leave the room. They also have a separate entrance for returning patients. No patients ever see each other. They say it's for privacy. In contrast, Hasson & Wong's clinic and the consultation office in Seattle were both very open & unembarassed, no skulking about or secret doors. I hope this helps those searching for a good surgeon.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.