Trichophytic closure of donar area ??

Hi,

I have learned form one of the surgeons website that trichophytic closure can help regrow hair from the scars.. I did not understand it properly so posted here so that the knowledgeable community can help throw some light on this topic..

Done done.. Check out my blog..

2785 grafts by Dr. Humayun Mohammad

My Hair Loss WebLog

Hi,

I have learned form one of the surgeons website that trichophytic closure can help regrow hair from the scars.. I did not understand it properly so posted here so that the knowledgeable community can help throw some light on this topic..

Done done.. Check out my blog..

2785 grafts by Dr. Humayun Mohammad

My Hair Loss WebLog

Trichophytic closure originates in Browlifting in the late 80s. Traditional browlifting of women's faces causes the hairline to be pulled back an inch or so and look unnatural. So doctors then devised a procedure to place the forehead incision at the hairline to that the hairline stayed at a natural position. BUT, this left an unsightly scar. Then, someone had the bright idea to BEVEL (cut at an angle) the forehead skin so that when the incision was sewn back together, that hairs from the hairline (also cut with a bevel slant) would grow through the hairless forehead skin in front of the scar, camouflaging the scar by a row of 4-5 hairs.

SEE ATTACHMENT LOWER HALF WHICH SHOWS BEVEL CUT

This is an excellent technique that I use on almost all browlifts that I have done over the past 13 years.

Then, a few innovative hair surgeons started to apply this to strip closure. Essentially the edges of the scalp are bevel cut just a millimeter or 2, prior to closure, and this allows the hair roots under the bevel cut to grow through the scarline.

I don't think that any one individual hair doc can take credit; I suspect that several docs started doing it and got good results, thus it has gained popularity...and rightly so.

I would add however, that EQUALLY important, is a deep layer closure to limit widening of the scarline after skin suture/staple removal. Even if you have a great trichophytic closure, if the skin retracts-widening the scar-a poor result will result.

Thus, I would suggest that in our hands, BOTH a trichophytic closure, AND a 2 layer tension free closure is most likely to lead to the best scar possible.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

bevel_cut.JPG.26a031cebcab4726985934f538111dc8.JPG

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians