Azn_Guy's experience with Dr. Cooley: 3007 grafts

azn_guy

hey azn_guy, I took a good look at your pics. your hair in the month 4 top down pics looks thicker than in the month 3 pics and pre-HT pics, but that may be due to your hair being dryer in the month 4 pics, not sure. I think I can spot some wispy hair along the hairline and in the temple area that look like new HT hairs, although I'm guessing you'd like to see a lot more of these in the near future. the donor scar looks much less pink than the 3 month pics, although I may be concerned as to why there are regions where no hair seems to be growing (i.e., shockless / scarring / stretching etc...not sure). anyways, that's just my two cents. best of luck man, I'm definitely routing for you.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Azn Guy,

Your pre-surgery shots show your hair looking slick and healthy. In the post shot's your hair starts looking more coarse and dry. Have you noticed your hair becoming stiff or coarse or is it the same as its always been?

Thanks,

Jo

Hey Phil, I havent sent photos to Dr. Cooley yet, but I have shown them the link to my donor scar through this site, they say everything looks healthy. They want me to come and visit them one of these days so they can get a closer look.

Mega, thanks for the kind words, When you compare Month 3 to Month 4, it's difficult to compare simply because my existing hair is getting longer, I personally think all my hair is still thin and wispy, meaning we wont see any real results for another 2-3 months

Gynuine, As my hair gets longer, it'll look more slick and healthy. In general my hair is pretty dry. I'm growing the front out so you'll get a better indication of what it looks like compared to my Pre-op photos.

• 4 weeks later...

Today marks my fifth month and everything appears to be looking good. The only concern I have (which is minimal) is the donor strip scar, it's about 3mm wide which I'm not that happy with. With a 3mm wide scar it makes it difficult to keep my hair short especially with my asian hair characteristics.

Here are some notes to take out of the 5th month

- Recipient Growth is seen, especially in the hairline

- Donor Scar Redness continues to fade

- Donor Scar Pain ==> 1/10, I think mainly due to pimples

- Grafts that have not grown still present (I think)

Month 6 expectations

- Recipient Hair will continue to grow

- Donor Scar Redness will continue to fade

- Donor Scar Pain should be 0/10

My hair as of right now in my opinion resembles exactly what it looked like Pre-op (My hair in pre-op was jus a little longer). The only difference that I can personally see is the hairline growth.

hey azn_guy - I think I can definitely see a nice hairline forming there. must be exciting! perhaps the rest of it is more difficult to observe because of the combination of shockloss and the fact that the new hairs are still probably very thin and pale in colour. your thoughts?

yup, I can only use the hairline as a reference since it's the easiest to recognize. Everything else looks the same to me.

I'm going to have a followup consultation with Dr. Cooley in the near future so he'll be able to take a more detailed look and see how things are going.

I'm going to ask him about the Donor Scar which he had emailed me and actually gave me a written guarantee that if the donor scar is not up to par, he will fix it. What a classy doctor...

• 2 weeks later...

I went to visit Dr. Cooley for him to take a look at my Donor Scar.

It appears I will be getting a scar revision in the near future due to the type of sutures that were used

Dr. Cooley was not happy with the results and is adamant about fixing it

I went to visit Dr. Cooley for him to take a look at my Donor Scar.

It appears I will be getting a scar revision in the near future due to the type of sutures that were used

Dr. Cooley was not happy with the results and is adamant about fixing it

really? what specifically was he unhappy with? stretching / shockloss?

that's really good of him to offer you a fix free of charge...shows he really cares about his work and his patients

• 2 weeks later...

Azn_guy, how much was 3000 grafts? I decided on Dr. Cooley as he met all the criteria and is pretty close.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

@Megatron, he was disappointed with the results, thus he really really wanting to fix it. I told him it was okay, but he was not happy.

@RCWest, make sure to ask Dr. Cooley on the type of sutures he is using, the type he used on me had poor results

Knowing that Asian's have higher tendencies towards scarring, did he explain to you why he chose his original closure method and what he would have done differently next time?

He was pretty confident and fully aware of the high tendency of scarring for asians.

As clarification for those reading up on my situation. He transitioned into a new suture technique that many HT doctors are starting to do.

I explicitly asked him what he would do differently, and he said "I'm going back to my tried and tested technique"

Everyone, I had a phone call with Dr. Cooley and he fully understands the situation and reiterated that this is not something he's happy with nor acceptable. The fact that he's humble enough to understand the circumstances show's why he's one of the better surgeons available.

With that said, I felt 200% comfortable with the scar revision update. I'll be going in for a "fix" in 2-3 months. Please note that grafts will be removed as part of the process. He's going to take those precious grafts and place them in the recipient area since he doesn't want to waste them.

I commend Dr. Cooley's professionalism and dedication for perfection.

Everyone, please stay tuned. Slight little bump on the road, but easily fixed

azn_guy,

It sounds like Dr. Cooley is taking good care of you. The man is definitely a class act and model of professionalism!

Best of luck with your scar revision. I look forward to following your progress.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Everyone, I had a phone call with Dr. Cooley and he fully understands the situation and reiterated that this is not something he's happy with nor acceptable. The fact that he's humble enough to understand the circumstances show's why he's one of the better surgeons available.

With that said, I felt 200% comfortable with the scar revision update. I'll be going in for a "fix" in 2-3 months. Please note that grafts will be removed as part of the process. He's going to take those precious grafts and place them in the recipient area since he doesn't want to waste them.

I commend Dr. Cooley's professionalism and dedication for perfection.

Everyone, please stay tuned. Slight little bump on the road, but easily fixed

I am now 100 percent confident in my decision to go to Dr. Cooley for my next procedure!! You can't beat him. A lot of surgeons would skate around your problems or not even return your calls. I guess being a hairloss victim himself, he knows exactly what we go through.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

He was pretty confident and fully aware of the high tendency of scarring for asians.

As clarification for those reading up on my situation. He transitioned into a new suture technique that many HT doctors are starting to do.

I explicitly asked him what he would do differently, and he said "I'm going back to my tried and tested technique"

Thanks for helping out another Asian dude. Did you ask him what his 'tried and tested technique' is and what his 'new suture technique that many HT doctors are starting to do' is?

Thanks

I am interested in the question posted by jacksonbrowne. Donor scar is one of my biggest HT worry. We would appreciate if you could post the details of the sutures that were used and the "tried and tested" ones?

Thanks

Hey Guys, the tried and tested is related to Dr. Cooley's method, I guess he won't tell his secrets? :-p

Regarding the differences, see the images below

no donor scar issue (tried and tested suture method used)

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/Photos/1584/DSC03690.jpg

donor scar issue

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/Photos/1584/DSC03688.jpg

Today is officially my 6th month anniversary, wow how time flies!

Everything is looking good. Right now I'm in the waiting stages, everything looks to be normal and I'm not seeing a dramatic difference between Month 5 and Month 6. This is mostly due to my existing hair taking the spotlight with the new grown hair. I probably wont see any dramatic changes until the 8-10 month mark.

I did speak with Dr. Cooley and will be getting a Scar Revision in a few months to fix the Donor Scar (see my previous journal entry)

Month 6 Results

- Hairline is definitely apparent

- Donor Scar is about 5mm

- Donor Scar Color is fading

- Donor Scar Pain is 0/10

- Now Just waiting

Month 7 Expectations

- Recipient Area Thickening

Hey Azn_Guy, overall I think your hair looks great, but I can see your density issue in that photo where you parted your hair down the middle. Still, I don't think it's too bad. Perhaps it's a little below what average expectations should be for a top doc. That said, it's only 6 months and your doc is willing to stand behind his work so I'm confident you'll get to where you need to be.

Best of luck man.

Hey Mega, the temporal regions shouldn't be a density issue, Since all the hair in that area is only 6 months old, it just needs to mature, I am strongly convinced that in 2-3 more months it'll be pretty thick.

If it's not, I already have a scheduled appointment so I will bring it up

We'll just have to wait and see :)

• 4 weeks later...

It's that time of the month again for some updates, Here are my 7th Month update

Hair Restoration Journal -7 Months

Everything appears to be on track. Just like the 6th month mark my comments will be to a minimum because it's difficult to observe. I would like to see a bit more density as right now nothing appears to be dramatic except the hairline.

Month 7 Observations

- Hairline continues to get better

- Donor Strip Scar is the same

- Donor Strip Redness is fading

Month 8 Expectations

- Density increase in overall hair

I was looking and comparing to your pre-op pics. Did you lower the right side of your hairline? Are you happy with that density?

I see what you mean when you say you want overall density to improve. I think the visual improvement in overal density from your pre-op pics isn't big. But, perhaps the hair you have now is at least permanent and will continue to get more dense.

Tough to judge as you say. Best of continued luck man!