how many grafts needed for full restoration

I do not refer to the reasonable expectation HTs. I mean that donor resources and money not being a  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey, someone did vote that 3000 will do fine for a NW 6 full restoration.

Care to share your reasons for feeling so?

7500 grafts till now. All by Dr. Arvind/Dr.A, New Delhi.

They include strip FUHT, FUE and body hair grafts.

Hoping to accomplish full hair restoration.

Originally posted by finallyfree:

Hey, someone did vote that 3000 will do fine for a NW 6 full restoration.

Care to share your reasons for feeling so?

I didn't vote for 3000, but perhaps 3000 would do for someone with a head the size of a tennis ball icon_biggrin.gif

PB

I wonder what the person who voted 3000 grafts will have to say on seeing my head after 6000 grafts growing.

835dc41c.jpg

3,000 on a NW6 is wishful thinking, indeed. If a person is a true NW6, I cannot fathom that anyone would have the donor area to bring them back to a NW1 or so with dense-packing (45 - 50 cm +) enough to not have a see-through appearance in wind, wet, etc.

Check out the graft calculator at the bottom of this page. It is a useful guide in ascertaining what the average person can expect to cover at different densities at different stages of loss.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by GuitarPlayer:

I would say 10,000. I've read that the average person has about 8,000 grafts to spare. So, if you use the 8,000 through strip and then fue another 2000 you should be set.

You r saying 10,000 because u perceive that to be the limit that can be extracted.

Thats where we and the doctors are wrong,IMO.

A NW6 bald area had at least 25,000 grafts?!

How will 10,000 be enough?

First lets calculate the real numbers we will need. Then decide to take the plunge.

This site has a nice graft estimator system.

BTW, how did u reach the conclusion that all can get 8000 fron strip. Those will be 2cm wide strips going all round the donor area two times for an average person.

Taking a total of 4 cm wide (in 2 strips) where is the donor safe area going to be to take out 2000 fue.

To acheive any sembelance of 10,000 most people will need to tap into their body hair.

• 2 months later...

15,000 is closest to the correct answer.

The problem is that most guys have about 6,500 to 8 thousand grafts available via the strip method.

I am not aware of any patient in history who has had 15,000 grafts performed, and I don't know of any Norwood 6 patient who has accomplished this with transplants:

I mean that donor resources and money not being a problem, how many grafts will a NW 6 need for an all weather, dry/wet proof, bad hair day proof, noncombover hair transplant.
That doesn't mean you can't get a satisfactory result, but the idea that donor resources will not be a problem is totally unrealistic for the high Norwood patients.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, there are people getting above 10,000 grafts, albeit with the use of body hair.

I think in an years time the graft estimates will have been drastically upgraded.

Now, if only there are more doctors learning/performing BHT.

69sting's recent 9 months post 5000 BHT results are enough to amaze the most die hard critic of BHT.