The process of finding a doctor

This section of the forum is very interesting to me, and you could say that I am in the true beginning of taking seriously the very real prospect that I will need a HT soon.

I went to a Bosley type place in San Diego, CA where I live one year ago, and while it was only a feeling out process and I wasn't yet ready to take this seriously, it was educational. Now I feel that in the next year, I will probably have to have a HT.

Sorry for rambling on, but I guess my question is to people: how do you research what doctor you eventually go to? Do you actually go to their office and get their estimate? I see some people on this board have traveled quite a ways to see a doctor, and I'm wondering - to those people: did you mostly weight what you read on this forum?

I'm sure I have many other questions about the long process, but I suppose this is a start.

This section of the forum is very interesting to me, and you could say that I am in the true beginning of taking seriously the very real prospect that I will need a HT soon.

I went to a Bosley type place in San Diego, CA where I live one year ago, and while it was only a feeling out process and I wasn't yet ready to take this seriously, it was educational. Now I feel that in the next year, I will probably have to have a HT.

Sorry for rambling on, but I guess my question is to people: how do you research what doctor you eventually go to? Do you actually go to their office and get their estimate? I see some people on this board have traveled quite a ways to see a doctor, and I'm wondering - to those people: did you mostly weight what you read on this forum?

I'm sure I have many other questions about the long process, but I suppose this is a start.

johnd2442,

You are asking some excellent questions and I'll try to help you in any way I can. I also encourage other members to share their input and experience on this thread, since physician selection is vital to ensure a quality hair restoration procedure.

In my opinion, in order to select a quality physician, you first have to educate yourself in the various hair transplant techniques, philosophies, and tools and which surgeons are doing and using which. Developing an understanding of hair transplant history is also very helpful.

Below are a few tips I feel are important when considering a hair restoration physician

1. Learn all about the benefits, risks, limitations, and hair replacement surgical procedure itself. Know what you are getting yourself into.

2. Talk to real hair transplant patients of a particular surgeon: Use our forum to connect with real hair transplant patients and hear their experiences. If information is not available online, contact the hair transplant clinic and obtain a list of their patients you can contact.

3. Look for consistency in hair transplant results: View a number of patient posted hair transplant photos and look for consistency in the impressiveness of the results. This can be done online or offline. Though in the last 2 months, you will find a much greater variety of clinics posting patient photos on this forum. What couldn't be seen online for some time is starting to become more regular practice.

4. Narrow your selection down to 3 quality hair transplant surgeons and consult with each of them to see how well you connect with them. It is important that you develop a relationship of trust with your hair transplant doctor

5. Meet with real hair transplant patients of these physicians in person if possible. Hair transplant pictures are great, but there is nothing like viewing the result in person.

Personally, I selected doctors based on surgeons recommended here and reading and viewing patient reviews and photos from these doctors online.

I hope this helps get you started.

Best wishes,

Bill

hi bill,

i'm actually really happy that you responded to this thread, because you were the guy i was looking at when i thought of the question of traveling a ways to see a doctor.

i've read your terrific (and encouraging) story and saw that you traveled from new york to vancouver. i suppose what is the price of an airline ticket really when you are making quite a large investment already.

i admit, i'd be much more interested in staying local with a doctor, but after reading your story, i have to admit, i'd also be willing to travel a ways too. i guess circumstances play a part with a job and things like that.

i'm still about a year away i think in definitely having an HT done. so maybe after reading this board more and learning a lot more, in several months, i could start meeting with locally approved doctors on this site and then move on if necessary to other options, like traveling further.

again, i want to thank you for responding here. your posts are a very valuable resource and educational tool.

Johnd2442:

Nowadays, the cost of airlines tickets is not much considering the whole cost of HT. (which can be in terms of $ and sub-par result). Most doctors will pay you hotel accomodations as well. Thus don't let travel be a factor.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Go to La Jolla, CA and check out Dr. Carmen. He's posted some terrific looking results and the publisher here went and watched his surgeries.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

thanks a lot for the posts guys. as i travel along the journey of learning more, these are two things i'll have to read up on extensively; the aspect of travel but also local doctors and what people have to say on this site and their work. you guys touched on two vital things, for sure, and that's mainly why i posted this thread. just to get an idea of the thought process and progression of ultimately getting the HT.