Dr. Limmer - Texas

Cutlass --I found Dr.Limmer from this site.I had the procedure and I'm waiting impatiently for my growth to start.For the money you can't go wrong.The only problem i've stated is that Dr.Limmer is very conservative with his hairline placement.That is the ONLY downfall with him.Everything else is great.He uses the stick and place method which is basically they stick your head with a needle and place the graft right then.They don't make 1500 -2000 holes and then place grafts.Also,the technicians do most of the sticking and placing.BUT......most all other doctors have there technicians place all there grafts also.Dr.Limmer is always right by during the surgery and he is in and out of the room every 15 to 20 mins IF NOT LESS always checking the work being done.

pdm68,

So if Dr. Limmer is not there all the time, how could he NOT make a bunch of recipients holes and THEN place the grafts. I don't understand this.

I thought the Stick and Place was making 1000 or so recipient holes and then placing the grafts.

Dr. Limmer makes one recipient hole, places a graft and then makes another reipient hole and places a graft and so on....?????

Midnite --Stick and place is done as you've stated --Make one recipent site hole and place one graft ---Dr.Limmer utilizes technicians who do most of the work ---

Arfy -- Dr.Limmer's hairlines aren't as artistic as say Dr.Shapiro's.Dr.Limmer doesn't believe in bringing your hairline down as far as some patients would like.He will utilize your current hairline ---Check out patient's on his web site and you will see his patients end up with a higher hairline than say Shapiro's patients.Not saying Dr.Limmer is wrong at all in being conservative.I'm just stating an opinion.

icon_razz.gif

PDM68

I thought that was what you meant about hairlines. That is not such a bad approach (placing them a little high)...It is obviously easier to add some grafts in front to modify your hairline, rather than vice-versa. Also, I think some docs build the hairline gradually. If you go back to Dr. Limmer, you might find he is planning on adding some additional frontal grafts. I believe many doctors build the hairline over multiple sessions. Dr. Shapiro has an article about creating hairlines in the Research Library section- check it out.

Once you have lived with this hairline for a few months, by the time your grafts grow out, maybe you may find that you've grown to like it. Otherwise, I think you mentioned going to Dr. Shapiro next time. I think that makes sense...if you don't care for a doc's style choices or agree on an approach, use someone else instead.

Good luck.

Dr. Limmer

PDM68,

I am considering having a procedure done with Dr. Limmer. The questions I have:

1. Do they both have equal skills or is the father better than the son?

2. How is the "pain" factor in the donor area?

3. Did they use dissolving stitches, if so, how long before they were gone?

4. I am also having a 1500FU procedure done. Except mine will be behind the previously transplanted area & I may possibly make the frontal area more dense. How was your shock loss?

5. How long of a donor strip did they use? (ear to middle of head,etc.)

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be 3 months post surgery on 5/11/02 --I as many people am very impatient.To answer the question on what dr's skills are better between father and son limmer ...I don't know.They use a stick and place method and the planter does 99.9% of the surgery.Dr.Limmer is in and out of the room alot(about every 10-15 minuetes)so if you have any problems with anything he's just a shout away.The pain in the donor area went away about a month or so.By me saying pain it was just a twing of "shock" every so often.They used disolvable stitches and they all came out about 2 weeks or so after the surgery.I didn't notice any shock loss at all because I had previous mini's in the front of my head and the rest was pretty much gone.The donor strip wasan't ear to ear ---it was a good 3 inches in from each ear ---I am trying to feel for it now as I type and its difficult to find.I don't think you could go wrong with Dr.Limmer's office in a surgery.I look forward to seeing results and having another procedure done.

• 1 month later...

To: Arfy and Midnite:

This is Dr. Bob Limmer commenting on conservativism in hair line designs. it is my opinion that the hair line of an adult male should not be that of a teenager. Since the hair line placed is permanent, a position placed too low is almost impossible to move upward. A hair line placed high can always be moved forward so it is my opinion that the hairline should be conservatively placed initially to serve the individual for a lifetime and look good and appropriate at 50-60-70 or more years of age. Secondly, a conservatively placed hair line requires considerally fewer grafts and less cost, which are also advantageous. A conservative hair line by my definition is not a very high hair line. It is typically about 8cm above the central eyebrows which is about 1cm (3/8 inch) above where it was in most teenagers and it preserves the frontotemporal recessions, which are natual in all adult males. We would not place a hair line without full agreement with every patient and that agreement is reached in consultation and fully discussed and designed with each patient in agreement the morning of surgery.

Lastly, as Arfy corectly stated, what is drawn with a pen the day of surgery or consultation, is not what the hair line will look like when it grows in. Most patients are surprised that the coverage of a "conservatively" drawn hair line is much greater than the initial impression of the drawn design would have led you to believe. Most are pleasantly surprised with the coverage of a conservitively drawn hair line. icon_biggrin.gif

Dr. Limmer

I thought my HT hairline was high initially, however when the healthy hair started filling in I was very pleased, remember replacing fuzzy weak hair with strong growing hair has a very large visual impact...I am able to actually grow "bangs", where before I could not.

• 7 years later...

I had a transplant with him in June 2009. 2,000 grafts. If you want more detail, email me and I can even give you my phone number. Check out my blog: http://www.hairtransplantnetwo...-page.asp?WebID=1277 .

In regard to hairline conservatism, nearly every surgeon I spoke with adopted this philosophy. In fact, very few were willing to do >2,000 grafts. My uncle had a procedure done back in the 90's and his hairline currently looks unnatural because the transplanted hair has remained while his natural hair has since fallen out. In sum, he's bald except for a thick u-shaped region in the front.

Despite Dr. Limmer's best efforts, my transplant did not work out as well as expected. The density of the transplant is relatively low (I'd say about 40-50 hairs / in^2). Of course, my case was special--apparently I had "slippery grafts" (not sure of the technical term) resulting in the tech having a difficult time seating them in my scalp. Despite this, Dr. Limmer has been very reassuring. He has called me many times over the course of the past months and even seen me in person. We have talked about potentially doing a follow up procedure after 12 months. I am hopeful that this will work out.

Despite my troubles, I would recommend Dr. Limmer to anyone. You simply won't find a more competent, concerned surgeon for the price (or perhaps any price).