Shock Fallout

I am 31 years old and have had three hairtransplants. The first one was when I was 21 and unfortunately they where very large grafts. In the preceding years I had two others with smaller grafts to cover up. I started using propecia in 1995 and has helped keep most of my hair. In July 2000 I had about 20 of the original large grafts punched out and reimplanted. I experienced shock fall out in the frontal region of my head. The hairs that where cut from the larger grafts never grew and neither did my regular hair that shed. I could swear that some of the transplanted hair fell out yet my doctor claimed that was impossible. I think I came out worse as I should not have had the grafts downsized. You cannot not really see the gaps in my hairline as I still have a decent amount of hair and my hairstyle covers it. But when I sweat or go swimming it becomes noticable. I am thinking of getting one session of FU to fix the problem but am scared to waste my time and money.

Maybe Doctor Limmer can answer my question. Do you think due to multiple surgeries in the same area have caused underlying damage that will not let newly tranplanted hair grow. I would love to fix my hairline once and for all. I have plenty of donor hair and my mid and crown is still decent. I have been using FNS(still with proscar) for the last two months and have seen a definate imporvent in all my hair and with DUS coming soon I think I will be okay. Sorry for the long post. Will try to post some pictures.

I am 31 years old and have had three hairtransplants. The first one was when I was 21 and unfortunately they where very large grafts. In the preceding years I had two others with smaller grafts to cover up. I started using propecia in 1995 and has helped keep most of my hair. In July 2000 I had about 20 of the original large grafts punched out and reimplanted. I experienced shock fall out in the frontal region of my head. The hairs that where cut from the larger grafts never grew and neither did my regular hair that shed. I could swear that some of the transplanted hair fell out yet my doctor claimed that was impossible. I think I came out worse as I should not have had the grafts downsized. You cannot not really see the gaps in my hairline as I still have a decent amount of hair and my hairstyle covers it. But when I sweat or go swimming it becomes noticable. I am thinking of getting one session of FU to fix the problem but am scared to waste my time and money.

Maybe Doctor Limmer can answer my question. Do you think due to multiple surgeries in the same area have caused underlying damage that will not let newly tranplanted hair grow. I would love to fix my hairline once and for all. I have plenty of donor hair and my mid and crown is still decent. I have been using FNS(still with proscar) for the last two months and have seen a definate imporvent in all my hair and with DUS coming soon I think I will be okay. Sorry for the long post. Will try to post some pictures.

I had my surgery in June, and people are telling me that my hair looks even thinner than it did then. I don't think I experienced any shock prior to this, and haven't seen any growth as of today.

What is DUS? I was just curious. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Because your first efforts to improve your hairline did not meet your expectations, do not give up. There are as many aprroaches as there are doctors doing it and you may get many opinions. I have had the plesant opportunity to do several hundred such cases and I have a very strong opinion on this subject (many other n=may not agree with me). This opinion is that if the original plug or minigraft or flap hairline is high enough to allow a small margin of new grafts in front of it, almost all cases can be repaired and made very natural with 1 or 2 sessions of follicular unit micrografts, usually only 1 session. I will be happy to send you as many photos of cases done this way as you wish to see. Please send your email address to me at hairlimmer@aol.com

BLL/jal icon_smile.gificon_wink.gificon_smile.gificon_wink.gificon_smile.gif

Dr. Limmer

I also had surgery in the early 90's. While they were not the traditional, big plugs, they were becomming noticable to me as my hairline continued to receed.

I had surgery in May with Shaprio. Now 5-months, I can not even see the original plugs. I agree with Dr. Limmer. If your hairline is high enough, by placing a few FU's in front and around the plugs and creating a natural hairline, the grafts can be concealed.

Good luck, MR