difference in side effects proscar/propecia

I've been taking proscar for 2 to 3 weeks; splitting the tablet into quarters and taking one quarter every day. Now I find that according to Merck proscar has a hiher inicidence of side effects -- about 8%, than propecia, which has about 2%. I have definitely been experiencing the libido side effects as well as the weight gain in the stomach area. Should I reduce the proscar dosage or just switch to propecia even though it's costlier just to make sure to avoid the side effects. Or is it just the finasteride, which is in both that's causing side effects?

I've been taking proscar for 2 to 3 weeks; splitting the tablet into quarters and taking one quarter every day. Now I find that according to Merck proscar has a hiher inicidence of side effects -- about 8%, than propecia, which has about 2%. I have definitely been experiencing the libido side effects as well as the weight gain in the stomach area. Should I reduce the proscar dosage or just switch to propecia even though it's costlier just to make sure to avoid the side effects. Or is it just the finasteride, which is in both that's causing side effects?

Most likely the reason that Proscars side effect profile is higher than Propecia is that it is a 5mg dose vs 1mg dose. There is propably no measurable difference between the 1mg Propecia dose and the 1.25mg Proscar dose (1/4 tablet). There is a good chance that if you remain on the medication your body will adjust and return to normal function. However, if the side effects do not deminish you can always stop taking the medication and they will subside.

I've been told that since I'm older (57), I could try taking one quarter every other day to reduce the side effects. But would reducing the dosage halt the effectiveness of what it's suppose to do in the first place -- stop the hair loss?

Newby:

I would agree with Dr. Charles and try staying on the medication daily for another 2-3 weeks. If things don't return to normal, I would change to Propecia and take one half tablet per day. I feel it is better to remain with consistent daily dosing at half the concentration then to use every other day dosing. There is less fluctuation with your medication levels and you DHT level remains suppressed. While .5mg of finesteride might not work as well 1mg, studies were performed at lower doses and DHT levels are suppressed. A little is better then nothing at all. If you still continue to have side effects at the lower dose, then discontinue.

Brad Limmer, MD/jac

icon_wink.gif

Dr. Limmer