How we recommend Hair Transplant Physicians

Ok, now I'm getting confused. I just joined another hair loss forum because I want to get as much information as possible (I won't mention your competitors name here). This forum also has thousands of threads and members and is set up in a very similar way to this site. It also has doctor recommendations.

This other site, however definitely is slanted toward the FUE procedure. Many of the same surgeons are recommended, including ones who only do FUT, but there is a lot more information, threads, photos and testimonials specifically related to the FUE procedure, almost the opposite of this site.

Any comments?

Hi Garet

What website is it? I dont think the moderators on this forum would mind you sharing information about that website since this is a pretty open forum...Having said that, there is a place for FUE in the world for HT depending on your goals...If somebody says you are not a FUE candidate, you need to ask why? Also, this is a cosmetice procedure and you have the right to make a decision..If you want to wear your hair short, that throws FUT out of the window...so, i can say you are not a FUT candidate..people also talk about how scars are getting thinner these days..that is correct but when you end up doing multiple procedures (which every HT patient will end up doing), the scar will no longer be thin....remember FUT is a one way prison from where there is no looking back...however, with FUE, there are a number of options, you could use BHT on the crown, buzz the hair and not look like a mullet!!!It all depends on what you are looking for...I was anti FUE in the beginning but after doing research for a couple of years, i have seen a lot of FUT failures as well even in the best of hands...if you want to do FUE, find an excellent surgeon who is not negative about the procedure in the first place (majority of the doctors i consulted on this network are), get a small procedure of 500 grafts to get a feel and then go for it completely..remember, you will always have an option to throw in the towel which you dont have with strip..lets say 5 years down the road, prop starts giving serious sides..what will you do at that point?

• 2 weeks later...

Though the website claims that it only recommends qualified doctors, why do these doctors have to pay in order to receive a recommendation? There are certainly enough adverts on the site already.

Due to the fact that doctors must pay a fee to be recommended, the selection of HT doctors is partially based on payment.

This raises a legitimate question regarding conflict of interest.

How much do the doctors have to pay per month to be recommended?

It is also worth noting that some HT sites push the FUE technique, while this site is more biased toward the FUT technique. Much of that bias is related to the doctors who are recommended (and pay to be recommended) and what their specialties are.

These are all legitimate questions.

Garet,

The fact that surgeons recommended by this community pay a sponsorship fee to support it is no secret. Everything, including how this site is funded is laid out clearly on our physicians standards page and on this very topic that you're responding to. Thus, I encourage you to read the original post on this topic "How we recommend Hair Transplant Surgeons" which answers the majority of your questions.

It takes a lot of time and money to run a successful online community. Thus, surgeons who meet our standards agree to pay a sponsorship fee to support our community, much like students with impeccable SAT scores and high GPAs agrees to pay a tuition once they're accepted into an elite University. Does highly esteemed universities like Harvard and Yale have a conflict of interest because their students have to pay tuition? How could such an organization exist without paying for its teachers, staff, supplies, educational facilities, etc.?

However, much like an ivy league college who accept only the brightest students, we only invite physicians to become recommended sponsors if they meet our demanding standards.

While our recommendations aren't an exclusive list of all the best physicians in the world, the physicians recommended on the Hair Transplant Network have proven to this community that they perform state of the art hair transplants with excellent results. Additionally, there have been dozens of physicians over the years willing to pay the sponsorship fee that we have turned down because they don't meet our high standards.

Garet, I'm starting to suspect given several of your posts (including the ones you deleted which administrators can still read) that you have an agenda to discredit this community and what we stand for. Thus, if I feel that your interest lies in attempting to discredit the hard work that we do instead of simply trying to learn and research your options, your account will be suspended. If you are truly interested in exploring your options in various hair loss treatments, I believe you will find plenty of information and support here.

Best Regards,

Bill

truly hope your interest lies in obtaining information rather than

The pro FUE website and forums I'm referring to can be found below

Hair Loss Help

One of the most popular threads is: (promotional link removed)

This site has a similar style to this one, though it's definitely appears to promote FUE as a preferred method, contrary to most information on this site.

Makes me realise that sponsorship plays the most important role in which type of procedure any site favours.

Garet,

You'll find plenty of information on this site regarding the FUT verses FUE debate. This site isn't biased toward FUT, it's just been around longer and proven more viable in a larger group of patients. As the managing publisher of this community, I certainly believe that FUE has a place in hair transplantation. However, in my opinion, it's a viable option for a smaller, select group of candidates than FUT. I believe anyone seriously considering hair transplant surgery should research and discuss with leading physicians the possibility of both options. At the end of the day, the choice is the patient's.

Best wishes,

Bill

Garet,

I just responded to your last post and explained how we recommend surgeons. Frankly, your posts are beginning to sound like accusations.

Every hair loss forum that "recommends" or allows doctors to advertise their services collects a fee from them. The primary difference between our community and Hair Loss Help is that we only recommend those we believe do quality work while Farrel Manne takes money from any doctor who wants to advertise on their site.

At the end of the day, you have the ability to choose a surgeon based on your own research. You can also believe what you want. But if I see you peddling an agenda to discredit our community based on nonsense that we recommend doctors and procedures primarily on their willingness to pay, I'm going to show you the door. This statement is totally false and an intent to discredit the hard work we do in prescreening surgeons.

Bill

One more thing Garet...

The publishers of this community provide a discussion forum for members to discuss relevant topics to hair loss and hair transplantation. While we do provide information we've acquired by prescreening surgeons and researching state of the art surgical hair restoration procedures and non-surgical treatments, it's up to the adult members of this community to draw their own conclusions based on all the information available - including, by speaking to other members who aren't affiliated with this or other hair loss sites.

There are thousands of disussion topics on this forum and others with members sharing their genuine experiences and opinions. We do not force members to accept everything we say, but instead, encourage them to do their due diligence in researching surgical hair restoration and physicians. If a single discussion on this or another forum seems biased toward one procedure or another, it's because the members on that topic share a similar opinion. There are certainly times I agree and disagree with what's posted and sometimes I'll share what I've learned to add food for thought. The adult readers can then decide for themselves what to believe and pursue whatever avenue they've decided is best for them.

Bill

• 2 months later...

I have already met Dr. Damkerng pathomvanich in Thailand. I m not impressed . I have visiting his office. Its not this kind as i expected. I went his office thinking this , that he is a superstar surgeon in Asia. He has not 11 assistants. In his office lack of modern instrument. May be 1 or 2 stereo microscope to dissection. His assistant is not as much as trained . He is working with dr. only from 8 month. Dr. path doesnt carefuly listen patiens question . May be he does HT in old strip procedure. I have seen his patients

image after surgery & this images r not very clearly close & convincing. I wanted to met his former HT patient but he aviod it. Didnt give any patients reference. I m confused about his work. If u search net u will find everyone is praising about him. I dont think his technique of HT is world class.

farhana,

While we do welcome all genuine opinons and experiences, I find it hard to believe you're being sincere. Maybe you weren't impressed when you visited Dr. Pathomvanich....but you also sent me a message saying that you don't like my hair transplant. Clearly your expectations are too high.

You also either have no understanding of what state of the art hair transplant surgery is or are blatantly lying about Dr. Pathomvanich and hi staff. What lack of modern instrumentation is he lacking? Where is your proof?

To learn more about Dr. Pathomvanich and patient results, visit his recommendation profile. You can also find a number of his patients posting on this forum along with their displayed results.

For the record, follicular unit hair transplantation (strip surgery) is still state of the art. Only a handful of physicians are performing follicular unit extraction (FUE) and most agree that it's still relatively new and lacks the consistency strip does.

I'm sure if you ask Dr. Pathomvanich for references that he will provide you with them. But frankly, if you don't think his technique is state of the art, then you have a lot to learn about hair transplantation.

Best Regards,

Bill

I will say that this site does seem to lean strip, but I think that is the users and not really the "site." That said, this is also a pretty open site and the moderations seems fair. If you talk crap, make unsubstantiated claims, etc...you will get called out on it. But it is a fair site. I trust this site over others, even though I am leaning towards an FUE and thinking about not even going to one of the docs this site....there is a lot of good knowledge here and I think there are honest intentions on this site.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Spanker,

To be clear, I do believe FUE is a viable alternative to strip for some patients and in many cases can produce excellent results. Both proceduers (FUT and FUE) has its benefits and drawbacks and as long as a patient understands these, he/she can make an educated decision along with a qualified physician as to the procedure that's best for them.

If you haven't already read through it, you may be intereseted in reading the "Highlights of the Annual 2010 ISHRS Scientific Meeting in Boston" in which FUE and various tools (amongst many other important topics related to hair restoration) were discussed by leading hair restoration physicians in the field.

Best wishes in your research and in selecting a procedure and physician that best suits you,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering is there a list anywhere on the site of all the clinics that were declined coalition membership for 1 reason or another?

Also if a Surgeon is recommended by this site, does that mean he is recommended for both the FUT & FUE Method, if he offers both?

What is the Protocol for when a new clinic is opened? (do you wait a few years before considering the clinic for membership?

HairHunter,

We do not list the physicians we've chosen not to recommend on the Hair Transplant Network for one reason or another nor do we provide a blacklist of doctors. Rather, we choose to focus on those who have met our high standards for recommendation.

While many physicians recommended by our community perform both FUT and FUE, the vast majority perform more FUT procedures than FUE. Thus, it's imperative that prospective patients research and consult with each physician they're considering to get an idea of their experience and expertise with both procedures and learn which procedure best suits them.

Brand new physicians/clinics are not considered for recommendation. Only physicians who can present a sufficient portfolio of results demonstrating the quality of their work can be considered for recommendation.

I hope this helps.

Bill

• 4 months later...
Just wondering is there a list anywhere on the site of all the clinics that were declined coalition membership for 1 reason or another?

Also if a Surgeon is recommended by this site, does that mean he is recommended for both the FUT & FUE Method, if he offers both?

What is the Protocol for when a new clinic is opened? (do you wait a few years before considering the clinic for membership?

There are definitely excellent surgeons recommended on this site, but there are also excellent surgeons not recommended. Some doctors are busy enough or, for one reason or another, choose not to pay the fee necessary to become recommended on the site.

The best thing you can do is research many doctors. If they are recommended, they will most likely do quality work, but if not recommended on this site, they still might do excellent work.

• 4 months later...

Think this forum was helpful. I did mine 2 yrs ago and somewhat happy but could have been done better. For those that think its easy to meet and decide, think again. I realize price plays a role and looking back I wish I considered some here in the NY area instead of flying away to get it just bit cheaper. Site is great for this and have been on it for 3 yrs reading through to decide

• 4 weeks later...
Guest christucker23

Always choose a physician that has a good background history. If they have a lot of success then you are safe. Also ask if they have insurance as well.

(Promotional link removed. Read our terms of service)

• 11 months later...

Thanks a lot for posting such a useful forum. I am planning to do hair transplant by next month. I am so confused in choosing the surgeon. I have heard of Dr.Mark McKenzie of Seager Hair Transplant Centre Toronto. Are they good in doing this? Please extend your suggestions.

Sophie,

Why is it that you claim in this topic that you're in the process of choosing a surgeon and act like you never heard of Dr. Mark McKenzie and then in another topic, you claim that you've had a hair transplant from him 2 years before? I also see that you've linked the words "hair transplant" to Dr. McKenzie's website in both topics.

It appears that you are here to blatantly promote Dr. McKenzie instead of posting a genuine question and/or review.

I expect a reply to address the concerns ASAP.

Bill

• 1 month later...
I think it is great that there is a forum like this that helps people make the right decisions in choices for a HRT doctor. It is such an important decision to find the right doctor and something like this really helps many people who may not know make the right decision for themselves. Bravo.

Yep! finding the right doctor is key to the best results and a comfortable procedure.

Many times people concentrate on the economic side of the hair transplant and forget that the process involves trusting your surgeon, it is an easy ride if you connect with the Dr. that is going to hold your hand through the process and you trust he has your best interest at heart!

Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

I think it is great that there is a forum like this that helps people make the right decisions in choices for a HRT doctor. It is such an important decision to find the right doctor and something like this really helps many people who may not know make the right decision for themselves. Bravo.

Yep! finding the right doctor is key to the best results and a comfortable procedure.

Many times people concentrate on the economic side of the hair transplant and forget that the process involves trusting your surgeon, it is an easy ride if you connect with the Dr. that is going to hold your hand through the process and you trust he has your best interest at heart!

Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum