Please help, 19 years old going Bald ..

Hello guys, this is my first post in this forum and I'm sure I'll learn alot from it.

Well i just wanted some answers for my case.. and here is my story:

I always had a thin hair since I my early teenage, but there were never bald spots and it always didnt look thin on the whole day when i take a shower. Unfortuanelty when I became 18 years old ( i am 19 years now), i went through alot of stress and depression (which ended me with a psychic). Few months later, my hair started falling like crazy and it became noticable for everyone that i'm going bald. I went to a doctor and she told me that its MPB because my dad is bald although i didn't tell her about my stress. Btw, my hair is still falling, and 10 months now. And the stress with me is still there but little bit better.

My questions are:

1) is the hair loss from the stress or MPB? (Note that my dad is bald)

Note that the thinning is through all the scalp but more in the middle and in the crown. But my hair line is fine.

The other thing is that I will be taking accutane soon, and i read that it cause some hair loss. so,

2) can I take accutane with propecia ( though i don't like this idea at all)

few more questions:

3) is there a chance my hair will grow again?

cuz i read if it was from stress then mostly it will, but if it was from MPB then it won't.

4) so what if it was from both of them, will my hair grow back if I take propecia and rogaine?

5) shall i take the accutane or propecia first? note that accutane is 6 months only.

Thanks all, your answers and advices will sure be very helpful =)

Hello guys, this is my first post in this forum and I'm sure I'll learn alot from it.

Well i just wanted some answers for my case.. and here is my story:

I always had a thin hair since I my early teenage, but there were never bald spots and it always didnt look thin on the whole day when i take a shower. Unfortuanelty when I became 18 years old ( i am 19 years now), i went through alot of stress and depression (which ended me with a psychic). Few months later, my hair started falling like crazy and it became noticable for everyone that i'm going bald. I went to a doctor and she told me that its MPB because my dad is bald although i didn't tell her about my stress. Btw, my hair is still falling, and 10 months now. And the stress with me is still there but little bit better.

My questions are:

1) is the hair loss from the stress or MPB? (Note that my dad is bald)

Note that the thinning is through all the scalp but more in the middle and in the crown. But my hair line is fine.

The other thing is that I will be taking accutane soon, and i read that it cause some hair loss. so,

2) can I take accutane with propecia ( though i don't like this idea at all)

few more questions:

3) is there a chance my hair will grow again?

cuz i read if it was from stress then mostly it will, but if it was from MPB then it won't.

4) so what if it was from both of them, will my hair grow back if I take propecia and rogaine?

5) shall i take the accutane or propecia first? note that accutane is 6 months only.

Thanks all, your answers and advices will sure be very helpful =)

Hi, I cant be sure, but my guess is that MPB is causing the hair loss and that is causing you stress. Also stress has been shown to accelerate hair loss, so that may be contributing.

Look on the bright side; there are therapies that can help you now -- 20 years ago that was not true. Propecia can slow or stop loss and HTs can restore hair. My advice is to begin saving money, focus on school and getting a good job, then in another few years you may ave enough money for a HT, or find that the propecia has stopped your hair loss. You can also try shaving your head to see if you like how you look. Its a PITA, but its not the end of the world. If you absolutely need hair then you have options but it may be expensive.

Unknown,

Welcome to our forum community.

It is actually a misconception that regular every day stress and anxiety causes hair loss. Traumatic stress may be responsible for a temporary telogen effluvium but is typically is reversed shortly after the incident, and not progressive like typical male pattern baldness.

If you are experiencing hair loss on top of your scalp in a pattern like others suffering from androgenetic alopecia (see the norwood scale and/or ludwig scale as a guide), the cause is most likely genetic.

I'm not too familiar with accutane other than that it's a powerful drug used for acne. I recall someone discussing why you shouldn't be use Accutane for a period of time before a hair transplant, but I'm not aware of any discrepancies with taking finasteride and Accutane simultenously. However, please discuss this with your physician before proceeding.

Hair loss treatments like Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil) work a lot better in areas of thinning hair. Completely bald areas of the scalp will most likely remain that way unless you consider hair transplant surgery as an option in the future. But use of Propecia and Rogaine is typically a good strategy to help slow down, or prevent future loss. Miniaturizing hairs may also rejunate into thicker, healthier hairs once again.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi Unknown,

I'm 20 and I'm going through the same thing you are. I recently got on Rogaine and Propecia which, medically speaking, is the best thing that can be done right now to combat your hair loss. Send me a PM if you want to discuss.

~Martin

Unknown

Follow the same road as Martin....see how things go for a year or two before pulling the trigger for an HT. You are too young IMO.

Remember, once you start the HT route...you will probably require 3 HT's to get where you will be happy...depending on donor supply and the amount of MPB, even after three HT's you may not be happy. You could be in for a long road.

I also like the idea of cutting very short for now and see how it looks on you.

Try not to let MPB take over you're life. You will be surprised that no one looks at you, or judges you as you may think. You may get the one awipe who has the balding comment, but just let that role off and not bother you...the comments will stop.

At 19, having stress is way off the chart! You have many years ahead for that...trust me, save the stress for later in life.

T

Thanks alot The Empeeror, Bill, Martin and tofueornottofuend .. I really appreciate your comments guys.

Well, i guess i have finally made my mind and decided to start propecia and rogaine and at the same time i will start my accutane ( for acne)

My plan is to stay on propecia and rogaine for 2 years and see the results. At that time, if my hair loss was stopped, i will then go for the HT to restore what i lost.

It's really hard to deal with hair loss and acne at the same time.. But to be honest i still have a lot of hope icon_smile.gif

Wish me all the best =) and i will sure come every now and then to share my results.

Thanks alot.

*unknown*

Also, you mentioned that your hair line is still in good shape. You might want to look into some concealers (i.e. Toppik, Nanogen, Dermatch) to fill in the thin areas and give your hair a fuller look. That should buy you some time.

~Martin