Progress with transplants - Dr. Beehner

I am a 27 year old male with thinning hair on the top of my head, out to the sides and all the way back to the crown. After much research into the field of hair transplantation, physicialn background checks, license investigations, and six consultations with large firms such as Bosley and individual doctors, I decided to have Dr. Michael Beehner of Saratoga Springs, NY perform my surgery. Dr. Beehner allowed me to (with the consent of his patient) watch a transplant surgery. He considered possible future hair loss and how a procedure now coupled with further hair loss would affect my appearance. Finally, I felt like Dr. Beehner wanted to know me as an individual and address my individual needs and concerns. I became completely comfortable with Dr. Beehner, his staff, his methodology and his recommendations. His suggested treatment for me was three sessions, with at least 6 months apart between sessions. Each session was to consist of a comination of mini-grafts and follicular units on the entire top of the head, excluding the crown area.

My first procedure was one year ago, in December of 2000. That procedure consisted of 865 grafts broken down as 540 folliculars and 325 minis. I had my second hair transplant surgery with Dr. Beehner yesterday (Dec 11 2001). In this procedure, I received 855 grafts, broken down as 600 folliculars and 255 minis. I used the GraftCyte product during recovery from the first surgery. The recovery from the second procedure seems easier than the first. There is less numbness than last time, and less discomfort in the donor area. As before, I am again using the GraftCyte to reduce itching and speed up the healing process. Since this is my second procedure, I have more hair to hide the scabs that I did after the first procedure. As such, I hardly even noticed that I had anything done...on the day after surgery with nothing on my head! I am however going to wear a baseball cap for about a week until the scabs fall off. After that, I plan to use the Dermatch product to conceal any remaining scabs, etc.

As far as the surgeon is concerned, I have nothing but the highest praise for Dr. Beehner and his staff. He answered all of my questions to my satisfaction (I am an engineer by trade and ask MANY questions), and was never pressured me to make a decision until I was ready. Dr. Beehner even goes so far as to encourage his patients to call him at home if it is after hours and they have questions.

My results from the first procedure are better than I had hoped for. Even looking in the mirror, I have difficulty locating the transplanted hairs..they must be there, I can see huge differences in hair density between my consultation photos and my photos from a year after my first transplant! I am looking forward to seeing the results of this second procedure and finishing up with my third in about 6 or 7 months.

In combination with the transplants, I have been taking Finasteride (Propecia) three times a week (according to Dr. Beehner's reccomendation) and have noticed some improvement in the crown area. I can only attribute the improvement in the crown to the Propecia, as no transplanted hairs were placed there.

I couldn't be happier with my decision and give Dr. Beehner my highest possible reccomendation.

I am a 27 year old male with thinning hair on the top of my head, out to the sides and all the way back to the crown. After much research into the field of hair transplantation, physicialn background checks, license investigations, and six consultations with large firms such as Bosley and individual doctors, I decided to have Dr. Michael Beehner of Saratoga Springs, NY perform my surgery. Dr. Beehner allowed me to (with the consent of his patient) watch a transplant surgery. He considered possible future hair loss and how a procedure now coupled with further hair loss would affect my appearance. Finally, I felt like Dr. Beehner wanted to know me as an individual and address my individual needs and concerns. I became completely comfortable with Dr. Beehner, his staff, his methodology and his recommendations. His suggested treatment for me was three sessions, with at least 6 months apart between sessions. Each session was to consist of a comination of mini-grafts and follicular units on the entire top of the head, excluding the crown area.

My first procedure was one year ago, in December of 2000. That procedure consisted of 865 grafts broken down as 540 folliculars and 325 minis. I had my second hair transplant surgery with Dr. Beehner yesterday (Dec 11 2001). In this procedure, I received 855 grafts, broken down as 600 folliculars and 255 minis. I used the GraftCyte product during recovery from the first surgery. The recovery from the second procedure seems easier than the first. There is less numbness than last time, and less discomfort in the donor area. As before, I am again using the GraftCyte to reduce itching and speed up the healing process. Since this is my second procedure, I have more hair to hide the scabs that I did after the first procedure. As such, I hardly even noticed that I had anything done...on the day after surgery with nothing on my head! I am however going to wear a baseball cap for about a week until the scabs fall off. After that, I plan to use the Dermatch product to conceal any remaining scabs, etc.

As far as the surgeon is concerned, I have nothing but the highest praise for Dr. Beehner and his staff. He answered all of my questions to my satisfaction (I am an engineer by trade and ask MANY questions), and was never pressured me to make a decision until I was ready. Dr. Beehner even goes so far as to encourage his patients to call him at home if it is after hours and they have questions.

My results from the first procedure are better than I had hoped for. Even looking in the mirror, I have difficulty locating the transplanted hairs..they must be there, I can see huge differences in hair density between my consultation photos and my photos from a year after my first transplant! I am looking forward to seeing the results of this second procedure and finishing up with my third in about 6 or 7 months.

In combination with the transplants, I have been taking Finasteride (Propecia) three times a week (according to Dr. Beehner's reccomendation) and have noticed some improvement in the crown area. I can only attribute the improvement in the crown to the Propecia, as no transplanted hairs were placed there.

I couldn't be happier with my decision and give Dr. Beehner my highest possible reccomendation.

I'm glad you're happy, but I bet you could be even happier.

The all-FU transplant looks the most natural. No matter how many grafts you get, or how much "surrounding hair" falls out, the grafted hair will always look completely natural. (In the right hands, of course.)

Minigrafts will not look natural in the rain, in the wind, etc. They need surrounding hair (or FU grafts) to help conceal them. What is the point of using grafts that need to be concealed? These grafts are supposed to conceal your thinning hair, and yet they also need to be concealed. It doesn't make any sense.

I'm glad you're happy with your transplant so far. But I bet you would be even happier with an all FU procedure. The difference between your mixed-graft transplant and an all-FU transplant can be subtle, but it is the difference between a good looking transplant and a great looking one. I think everyone should go for the best possible result, since you will have to live with it for the rest of your life. Don't settle for anything less than "amazing".

Since there are no guarantees given with hair transplants, there is a risk. More guys will be "more happy, more often" with an all-FU transplant. If you are satisfied, I congratulate you. But I wouldn't recommend other people get a "mixed graft" transplant like you did. Read the article here called "The Best Procedure" which describes the state-of-the-art transplant.

The problem as I see it with all follicular units is one of density. The only way I could achieve the density I am after is by using a combination of FUs and minigrafts. As I mentioned in my original posting, I had a number of consultations, and all of the doctors I spoke with agreed with me on that point. As far as minigrafts looking unnatural, I would agree, if that is all I had. They provide the density I am looking for, and the FUs I have around them provide the natural look I am after. I have not had any problems is the pool, in the rain or in strong winds.

For the answer to the Propecia reply, Dr. Beehner informed me that current research indicates that a daily dose isn't necessary to achieve the desireed effects. His recommendation is every other day or just Mon, Wed and Fri...whichever is easier for me to remember. I've been happy with the results from the Propecia so far.

That's a very interesting perspective about the mini grafts. I disagree, but as long as you are happy, that's what counts. The top HT doctors including Pat's own Shapiro doesn't use mini grafts and feels he can achieve the density you mentioned. Dr. Bernstein also will not use mini grafts and his results are possibly the best in the industry. Mini grafts are old technology, and are in no way as natural in appearance. They have to be surrounded by the more natural FU grafts to cover them up.

I'm with Arfy on this. Mini and Micro grafts are not a good idea for most people looking for a natural looking transplant. Pat even says it's for a cost savings, and doesn't enhance the transplant. It's been noted several times that it's "nearly" as good in the right surgeons hands. If "nearly" is good enough and the cost savings is important, then I'm sure you will be happy.

Question though, I've heard you don't really save much money with the mini grafts. How much did you really save by going with this combo?

The mini vs FU debate has been going on among transplanters for some time. Personally I put myself in the FU group but appreciate the points that many of the mini proponents (no pun intended) bring up. Let me first say that speed and cost savings do not hold water. Most patients could care less how fast the procedure is performed. The cost savings are rarely passed on to the patient significantly. The procedure is tough enough without compromising it by doing something less than optimal.

Most of the mini grafters I know do it for one reason - they feel that they get better results. Truthfully, there are some cases where it makes some sense - patients with fine hair and patients who have a disproportionate number of 1 and 2 hair FUs. FU grafters usually try to handle this problem by coupling some FUs by placing a 1 and a 2 hair FU into a single site or placing two 2 hair FUs into a site. Is this now a minigraft? I don't know.

There are some similar issues with mini and FU unit grafts that are important: placing the graft at the proper level, angling the graft correctly, aligning the graft properly, putting the graft in the proper size site, avoiding transection in site creation, creating proper density, etc. Whether the graft is a mini or FU is only one part of the technique. Rassman and Shapiro, for example, got beautiful results with minigrafting before going to FU grafting. Of course, as you know, FUs are just a specially prepared type of mini graft. The main problem with many grafts, in my opinion, is that you are transplanting too much bald skin. With needle stick site creation, no bald skin is removed (as opposed to a punch) so you don't want to bring in the bald skin between FUs with the grafts. It prevents you from getting proper density.

Dr. Beehner uses mainly FUs but uses some mini grafts, but only because he feels there are advantgages to the patient, not to himself. He gets beautiful results. I use almost all FUs for the same reasons - because, in my hands, I feel I get better results this way. In the long run, give me a person who know how to handle and place the grafts properly - i.e. someone with talent.

At our international meetings, Dr. Beehner, Drs. Rassman & Bernstein, Dr. Shapiro, Dr. Limmer, and Dr. Seager constantly bring their transplanted patients for critical observation. You don't do this unless you know your results compare well to the best out there. The results are all excellent even thought techniques are somewhat different. Either technique can be done well or badly so don't get too thrown off by terms. All of these doctors use FUs as their dominant graft. If you only want FUs, just tell them and they will be happy to accommodate you.

Dr. Parsley

Dr. Parsley is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network