Starting on Propecia Question??

headsup

I will be starting to take propecia or Proscar(which ever my Dr will be willing to precribe for me) in the next few weeks. I was curious to know if it is common for you to lose more hair during the first few months of use. About me.. I am 34 now and started to gradually recede when I was about 31. When I was about 33 I started to lose more in the temple region(like a horseshoe) very quickly but now seems to have stopped or slowed down. I am thinking of a Ht but don't want to get one until I see what happens after I am on propecia for a while...

Any thoughts would be appreciated..thanks

I will be starting to take propecia or Proscar(which ever my Dr will be willing to precribe for me) in the next few weeks. I was curious to know if it is common for you to lose more hair during the first few months of use. About me.. I am 34 now and started to gradually recede when I was about 31. When I was about 33 I started to lose more in the temple region(like a horseshoe) very quickly but now seems to have stopped or slowed down. I am thinking of a Ht but don't want to get one until I see what happens after I am on propecia for a while...

Any thoughts would be appreciated..thanks

Hi, Headsup,

You put a thread just before I was going to ask the same question.

I have taken generic Propecia, called Fenpecia, for 20 days. However, I found I lost even more hair now. Where did you get information that it is normal for a user of Propecia to lose some hair at first few months? From my experience now, it seems true.

Black_hole

Hey headsup!

I read your story & it's amazing how it sounds like mine. Same age, same hairloss progress & so on. I think you're wise to "wait and see" what the meds can do for you. Go for Proscar though. It's exactly the same content as Propecia, by the same manufacturer, only much much cheaper. Your doc won't care.

Have a look at my HT & "before pics" and see whether it's close to what you have right now. I started on Proscar 1 week before my 2nd HT, and I'm thrilled with the results of this combination. I've just had a bath and you don't know what it feels like to comb your wet hair back, look in the mirror and be pleased with your look. For many years the only thing I could comb back was my small "island of hair" in the middle. Now man, I still don't look like Elvis but there is no sign of MBP anymore.

The difference with your case is that I was butchered during my first HT (in the UK, a land aka "HT hell") and urgently needed repair work. Otherwise, just like you, I would have waited to see what Proscar could do for me. But it wouldn't have filled my temples though!

Some people do experience some hairloss during the 1st months but it's unusual. I think this mostly affects minox users.

Black_Hole,

There is a thread on generic meds in the "Hair Loss Drugs" section of this forum (the title is "I am selling generic Finasteride"). Have a look at that one. I am not a fan of Finpecia, Fincar & other "made in India" products, but some guys are. Just take what you feel comfortable with!

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

When I started taking Propecia I immediately had some dandruff that lasted about 10 days. I've never knowingly had dandruff before so I was a bit shocked to see it.

It's hard to tell if you experience shedding due to Propecia since you have no control group to compare it to. In my case I think I did experience a fair amount of it. I'm guessing a 50% increase or fall out staring around week 2 and lasting till about week 8 or 10 . It kind of peaked around week 4 and then tapered down to "normal" by week 10. Again, no real way to confirm this.

I've heard several people say they had shedding from Propecia. But the fact is without a controlled environment it's all speculation. Keep in mind us guys loosing our hair do tend to think a few hairs in the sink is a lot.

The "shedding" that many experience when starting Finasteride is the medication hurrying hair follicles into the telogen sycle, so to speak.

Those hairs were "doomed" to enter that resting cycle anyway. Some see a few extra hair come out in the shower and freak out a bit. The entire "shedding" phenomena is nothing more than hype from uninformed individuals that has perpetuated itself into something that can be compared to a mass hysteria of sorts.

Notice that many of the individuals that speak of constant "shedding" are also the same individuals that change their medication regimines every other month. They never get any foothold on the hair loss affliction because they never give anything any time to work.

They are also the first in line to jump on the "myth" bandwagons that perpetuate the forums. You will see posts from individuals that call different concoctions all manner of things and rub it on their scalps - "Oz Brew," "Zix," etc.

Now, I cannot conclusively prove that these assorted home remedies do not work, but noone has proven that they do either.

My best advice is to stick to what works. Finasteride works. You may have to deal with a little "shedding" for a few months but after a year, more often than not you will see some real results from it (you can count no hair loss as results, in my book).

Best of luck to you.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog