Question about Dr. Shapiro

I have been researching HTs for the better part of a year. I have narrowed my search to Dr. Shapiro and Dr. Woods. Frankly, while I like the stripless option I have been more impressed with Shapiros hairlines and overall results than Dr. Woods. But since this will be my first HT I am concerned about the scar. My question is to any of Shapiros former patients. Following their first Ht with Dr. Shapiro, how would you classify the resulting scar and your overall satisfaction. I am close to a Norwood 5 and would be looking at an initial 1800-2000 grafts. Any feedback on this topic would be helpful.

Thanks

I have been researching HTs for the better part of a year. I have narrowed my search to Dr. Shapiro and Dr. Woods. Frankly, while I like the stripless option I have been more impressed with Shapiros hairlines and overall results than Dr. Woods. But since this will be my first HT I am concerned about the scar. My question is to any of Shapiros former patients. Following their first Ht with Dr. Shapiro, how would you classify the resulting scar and your overall satisfaction. I am close to a Norwood 5 and would be looking at an initial 1800-2000 grafts. Any feedback on this topic would be helpful.

Thanks

I assume you are inquiring about Shapiro in Minn. My donor scar is as promised: very thin. It has been two months and the hair around the donor scar is not yet blending with the rest of the hair on the back of my head (one of the "bummers" about HTs) My only worry is that there will be a permanent donor line showing above my neck due to my transpant. The jury is still out on that, but if I have to, I will shave the lower back of my upper neck to create a "weight line." I hop this is not nessisary, though. Looking at the big picture, though, a weight line is better for me than a balding head - and this is only because I have to worry about it. If I was still married, I would not have gotten an HT. But that is another line of conversation.

My history with donor scars is twofold. First, I had a HT in the early 90's that left me with a relatively bad donor scar (even Dr. Shapiro was a little surprised, I think). However, even then, nobody ever saw it. I could feel it, but it really did not bother me because nobody else knew it was there.

Then, I had surgery with Dr. Shaprio (look at my post surgery post for my experience). In short, the experience was wonderful. Specifically regarding the donor scar, he fixed my prior scar and the resulting scar is a) not even noticable to me when I rub my fingers looking for it and b) barely noticable to my wife when she tries to find it. She says it looks like a faint pink smile. And it is getting less pink each month. I am now 5 months post-opp following 1400 FU's.

Hope this helps. In my mind, the donor scar issue causes way to much concern. Shapiro is the best - I would go back to him in a second and I would recommend anyone else does as well.

Good luck,

MR

I'm nearly 4 months post-op with Shapiro. I had a haircut 3 days ago and didn't mention anything to the stylist and she moved my hair around to cut it and mentioned I had a small scar by my ear. That area to me was the most red during recovery, but other than that she didn't even notice that it went all the way around to my other ear.

Some Drs. are better at donor area work than others, including Shapiro; plus it depends on how your physiology for healing. No one can predict how your scar will look no matter what Dr. you see. It's the risk we take.

I have higher hair density than the norm, which helps to hide anything back there, but to ask how your scar will be is a tough question. Maybe you'll have extreme shock fallout in the donor area. Or maybe it will be unnoticeable in 3 months--it's all a path untravelled until you get there. I also liked Shapiro's work. I went in for 2000 grafts and came out with 2600. He doesn't charge for the extra 600, which is excellent business.