What to do?

Hi all,

I'm new to this board. I'm a student at Marquette University, originally from San Diego. I am almost 22 and have already had a hair transplant. I have read that it was probably not the wisest decision to have one so early, but I have been struggling with my hair since I was a sophomore in high school. I was actually able to regrow all of my hair using minoxodil (no joke). I was on top of the world for probably 6 or 7 months at least (I was able to buzz my head and life was good), but I got lazy and stopped using it. I eventually started losing it again, and when using Propecia, lost most of the hair I had worked so hard to get back. As embarrassing as it is, I used mascara to highlight the hairs I still had to make it appear as if I still had a decent hair line (which worked pretty well). Last December, I had a 1200 graft transplant with Dr. Kahn... I am going on month 10 and am not very pleased. I have so-so density, but light shines right through it and makes it look like I am just balding heavily. She did not fill in the middle very well, and the transplanted hair does not blend all that well with my original hair line...so I have a lovely area from one side to the other with little to no hair (she didn't want to fill it in because I still had some hair...). So now I am wondering, do I wait for another? I was looking at Armani's site and it looked tempting to see that kind of density, but I have been seeing bad reviews on this site. I am currently taking Finpecia and using scalp med and rogain (I figure using two different ones can't screw it up anymore than it already is). I am wondering what everyone thinks? Wait and while and then go forward as to not deplete the donor area? ANY help or advice would be greatly appreciated... as I am somewhat depressed from the amount of money my parents spent because of my vanity and because of the lack of results I was thinking I was going to see. Thanks.

Hi all,

I'm new to this board. I'm a student at Marquette University, originally from San Diego. I am almost 22 and have already had a hair transplant. I have read that it was probably not the wisest decision to have one so early, but I have been struggling with my hair since I was a sophomore in high school. I was actually able to regrow all of my hair using minoxodil (no joke). I was on top of the world for probably 6 or 7 months at least (I was able to buzz my head and life was good), but I got lazy and stopped using it. I eventually started losing it again, and when using Propecia, lost most of the hair I had worked so hard to get back. As embarrassing as it is, I used mascara to highlight the hairs I still had to make it appear as if I still had a decent hair line (which worked pretty well). Last December, I had a 1200 graft transplant with Dr. Kahn... I am going on month 10 and am not very pleased. I have so-so density, but light shines right through it and makes it look like I am just balding heavily. She did not fill in the middle very well, and the transplanted hair does not blend all that well with my original hair line...so I have a lovely area from one side to the other with little to no hair (she didn't want to fill it in because I still had some hair...). So now I am wondering, do I wait for another? I was looking at Armani's site and it looked tempting to see that kind of density, but I have been seeing bad reviews on this site. I am currently taking Finpecia and using scalp med and rogain (I figure using two different ones can't screw it up anymore than it already is). I am wondering what everyone thinks? Wait and while and then go forward as to not deplete the donor area? ANY help or advice would be greatly appreciated... as I am somewhat depressed from the amount of money my parents spent because of my vanity and because of the lack of results I was thinking I was going to see. Thanks.

DB,

(by the way diego boy sounds really gay) you seriously had growth on the top from Rogaine? I have heard of this but have been doubtful as I have never seen it first hand.

Dr. Amani: first off let me say that I have not had a ht yet; but that being said, yes I have seen some amazing photos from Dr. A's site. BUT...BUT...I have heard complaints / criticisms that he is WAY to aggresive (i.e. using way too much donor hair for the front hairlines of young patients) and given the fact that you yourself are very young, ht wise, this is precisely the caution. I would be very precautious if I were you as you will suit your hairline in a few years and can better evaluate it then.

For your info: Im 28. I noticed hairloss over 7 years ago and was really freaking out about it. I specifically remember looking in the mirror over seven years ago thinking I was going to be totally bald within a couple of years. Well, I guess I have thinned out somewhat, but not NEARLY as much as I thought I would. Be wise and listen to people on this site as they have experienced everything your going through and are trying to help you. Dont over react and freak out to your sitution. HONESLTY, a slight widows peak or slight loss, when your in your mid to late twenties, gives you a more "established" and "mature" look that virtually all womed view as desirable qualities in men.

I would like to hear about your experience with Rogaine though as I would be suprised if you grew anything back on top.

SDBOY

Look first of all stick to the BIG three if you agree to go the meds route

1- Procpecia

2- Minoxidil

2- Nizoral or Revita shampoo

Axe the scalp med. If you are going to use concealers use Dermatch, it is the best one..

GO TO A COALITON SURGEON for a consult.. 1200 is not a lot of grafts so it won't produce much coverage.. I would wait a but until your next HT..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Diegoboy,

I have a couple of topics on Dr Khan at the surgeon review section of this board. take a look at it. DO NOT GO BACK TO HER.

------------------------------

Im just your average teenager...just that I'm 31!

This is Diegoboy8608's new screen name. The other one was "gay" haha. Anyway...I had never used any product for my hair before minoxodil about 5 years ago. It regrew everything. My bottom picture shows how much it grew back...I had a widow's peak before using it. Now I use a laser lamp, finpecia, and now just rogaine.

big_me.JPG.8f085fd7aeffeab0948d8ef0124f73f5.JPG

Originally posted by triggerhappy:

Diegoboy,

I have a couple of topics on Dr Khan at the surgeon review section of this board. take a look at it. DO NOT GO BACK TO HER.

I saw that...pretty discouraging. She really made it seem like I was going to be satisfied and such...yeeeaaa.

Guest wanthairs

sorry to say ...But I have heard That Dr. khan is truly one of the worst. She should apply for a Job at Bosley or MHR. they need life wreckers like her......

Diego/gay/charger.....please get some free consults with one of the coalition docs...spend 6 months reading this site daily to familiarise yourelf with everything.

Yes the Chargers are sucking ass, but like a true fan, I stand by them, even as painful as it might be to watch. The worst part about Dr. Kahn was that she didn't listen to me at all. All I wanted was my balding areas filled in and density added. But noooo, she said that that hair line made me look bald. So instead of putting the 1200 grafts to good use and filling in the area I wanted, she decided to make a new hair line. While it does look good, it has no density....so it just looks like the whole front 1/4 of my hair is going! I am just very upset with her, and will voice it when I see her in December.

Diego/gay tight end/ charger,

just messing with you. What the FUCK!?!? The picture of the growth you had from Rogaine is amazing!!! Its like you never lost any hair. Is this for real? So, what when you tried using rogaine again it didnt grow anything back? Your crazy to have gotten lazy with it if you had those kind of results.

Has anyone else ever heard of this type of result with rogaine? If so, does the hair actually last (even if you keep applying rogaine) or will it fall out after a while? Maybe Ill have to start using on the front.

Notgoing2gobald,

Do not base your expectations of rogaine on those results. Those results were exeptional. Minimal regrowth is more likley. Some say that rogaine stops working after 2-3 years but there are also people who have been on it for many years and it still works.

Chargerfan8608,

First of all dont change your name just becasue someone says its gay, that ridiculous. Second, do you have any recent pictures so we can get a better idea of where you currently stand.

Yes, you can see that on both sides opposite the middle, it looks a little lighter in natural light, and that's where it grew back. I took vitamins as well. It was amazing because it grew back completely full, density and all. I accidently got my hair cut shorter than I had wanted and when I left I was just laughing because it was so great to have my hair back. Believe me, to this day I lament getting lazy about it...I kick myself for not continuing to use it or trying other topical solutions to hold onto it. It was probably the dumbest thing I could have done and I wonder to this day if I could have saved all that hair. Now...shit...

No I do not have any current pictures,as I do not have a digital camera right now. Im going on month 10 right now. I have been keeping my hair pretty short, like a number 1 and 2, so that possibly could be the reason why I see no density. However, the areas that she didn't fill in because there was still hair there (not enough to make a difference) are not gonna grow more than likely so I will have a balding line. By month 10, you should see about how full your hair is going to be and where it is going to fill in. But I will take pictures as soon as I can. I will also as Dr. Kahn for original pictures to compare to. Luckily, being here in Milwaukee, I am near Dr. Shapiro's office in Minnesota, and I am going to research him more. Def. not going back to Kahn again.

giants,

well now if tight-end changes his name back (because of you) hes going to feel like a little bitch. Just doing what you told him to do. Its ok that he changed his name, hes not a tight-end. He just didn't realize what is sounded like when he came up with it. Before I chose "notgoigbald" I went by "pink flamingo", and before that it was "brokebackmountain'a'bum", and before that it was "pudding-butt".

I didnt realize ANY of these names sounded gay until someone else pointed it out to me while watching brokeback mountain.

That would really suck to gain hair for two years from rogaine and then lose it all. I dont even know if thats worth it. going through that kind of rollercoaster.

Chargerfan: I know your not gay. I had just killed a bottle of wine when I wrote that and thought it was funny, thats all.

*if anyone wants to use any of my former handles feel free.

Bro, she did the same shit to me! I liked my natural hair line and just wanted to restore it. she talk me into getting a new hairline and a widows peak. Now, it looks like shit because there no density there. Fuck, Im getting pissed. If your down bro, lets do a joint complint with BBB. we can just wait a few months to see your results. How's the scar in the back? mine was horrible

Im just your average teenager...just that I'm 31!

Charger,

Welcome to our community,

You have been given some excellent advice so from our veteran hair restoration forum members.

Hair loss medication such as Propecia and Rogaine are the best lines of defense against future hair loss.

You may also want to take a look at what I have written on Scalp Med.

Hair transplantation is a viable option for some, but one must plan for the long term.

Consulting with one of our coalition physicians is recommended as they perform state of the art ultra refined follicular unit transplantation.

The two coalition physicians closest to you are:

Dr. Bill Reed

Dr. William Rassman.

I hope this helps,

Bill

Originally posted by triggerhappy:

Bro, she did the same shit to me! I liked my natural hair line and just wanted to restore it. she talk me into getting a new hairline and a widows peak. Now, it looks like shit because there no density there. Fuck, Im getting pissed. If your down bro, lets do a joint complint with BBB. we can just wait a few months to see your results. How's the scar in the back? mine was horrible

My scar wasn't terrible...but it wasn't great. It, like you, was basically from ear to ear. The right side it was a little worse. As soon as I take some pictures, I'll post them. You got any pictures?