Minoxidil irritation

I have been taking Propecia for about 7 months, and after reading some info on this board, have decided to start using Rogaine 5% in addition. The problem I have is that Rogaine really irritates my scalp, making it red and itchy. Also, it seems to cause some sort of yellow/amber colored waxy/crusty buildup on my scalp. What gives with all of this? I can't use a product that makes my head a mess, but at the same time it is recommened to use Propecia and Minoxidil together. What should I do?

I have been taking Propecia for about 7 months, and after reading some info on this board, have decided to start using Rogaine 5% in addition. The problem I have is that Rogaine really irritates my scalp, making it red and itchy. Also, it seems to cause some sort of yellow/amber colored waxy/crusty buildup on my scalp. What gives with all of this? I can't use a product that makes my head a mess, but at the same time it is recommened to use Propecia and Minoxidil together. What should I do?

The amber colored buildup on your scalp probably represents serum that has oozed from your skin. In all likelihood you have one of two situations: 1) a primary irritant rash or 2) an allergic contact dermatitis. If you have an allergic contact dermatitis then you will not be able to use Rogaine because even small amounts of the substance you are allergic to can keep the dermatitis going. You would need to see a dermatologist specialized in contact allergy so you can be tested. Possibly a pharmacist could specially mix a minoxidil preparation without the offending agent once it is identified.

If you have a primary irritant dermatitis, this means that less frequent use or lower concentrations might allow you to use it. Propylene glycol is a common irritant and can also be a contact allergen. The 2% Rogaine has less of this ingredient so may solve the problem. Possibly once daily use could also help.

First of all you need to stop the Rogaine until your scalp settles down and consider restarting it later. You should check with a dermatologist if possible.

I do think the combination is helpful but Propecia is the more important of the two. If you have a lot of irritation, it could even make your hairloss worse.

Dr. Parsley

Dr. Parsley is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Dr. Parsley, thank you so much for your help. I think that I must be having an allergic reaction to the Minoxidil...even using it just once makes my scalp red and itchy. I think I will try switching to another topical solution to see if that works at all...I have heard a lot about Tricomin and Revivogen. Again, I really appreciate your help.

Kojak, A buddy of mine was having the exact same problem with minoxidil. He changed over to Xandrox and didnt have the irritation problem. You might want to check that out.

Dr. Parsley, thank you so much for your help. I think that I must be having an allergic reaction to the Minoxidil...even using it just once makes my scalp red and itchy. I think I will try switching to another topical solution to see if that works at all...I have heard a lot about Tricomin and Revivogen. Again, I really appreciate your help.