Hair Transplant Acne

I've been getting zit-like sores that last for like 2 days in my recipient area. It kinda hurts for a day, and then the next day I pop them, then they go away. Does this hurt the grafts? I heard its called folliculitis. Will this affect the outcome of my growth?

Thanks.

I've been getting zit-like sores that last for like 2 days in my recipient area. It kinda hurts for a day, and then the next day I pop them, then they go away. Does this hurt the grafts? I heard its called folliculitis. Will this affect the outcome of my growth?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

DONT POP UR GRAFTS.....!

HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A KID WITH BAD ACNE WHO POPED HIS ZITS...? THINK HOW THE FACE OF THE MOON LOOKS.....LEAVE THEM ALONE AND LET NATURE TAKE ITS COURSE....

~GNX... icon_cool.gif

To norwoodthree: It depends on how long it has been since your transplant. If it has been about 2-3.5 months, then this means the hairs are starting to get active. In this case it is fine to take a small needle such as a sewing needle, clean it with alcohol, and pick the pustules. They can then be gently expressed. This is what we do and it does not hurt the hair - but prolonged inflammation from the foreign body (hair shaft) can occasionally be a problem. If you have a lot of redness, swelling, or tenderness around them then you should consult your doctor.

Now if the pustules are a few days after the transplant, leave them alone and call your doctor. Expressing these can possibly extrude the graft.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Parsley

Dr. Parsley is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network