Whats age got to do with it.

I have a question for the almight know it all's. Why does it make a diff. what age you are if u get a HT in your hair line. When you are a norwood 7 they establish a new hair line so you look good in strait on photographs. Correct. So why does it make a diff if I am A 20 year old with some receding just above my temples and i want to have a good hair line when i am still young, still pretty, and still in college were i will proly meet my future wife that picked me cus i looked good or i could take your guys advise wait till im 30 when im out of collge, old looking and with some girl that picked me cus the dude with good hair was gone. One more lil point to make. You tell dudes that right after they just got there HT and the hard part is waiting for the hair to come in a couple of mounths and you consule them and tell them it will be alright soon, But when some 20 year old kid comes in hear with a new problem that proly effecting him so much that kids have killed them selfs over it(wich is not the answer)and you guys are like well eat some pills spray some sh*t on your head and check back in 10 years and see what else has fallen out and we will tell you what two do then without a second thought.

Well maybe now its time to take that second thought.

Peace,

JO20.

I have a question for the almight know it all's. Why does it make a diff. what age you are if u get a HT in your hair line. When you are a norwood 7 they establish a new hair line so you look good in strait on photographs. Correct. So why does it make a diff if I am A 20 year old with some receding just above my temples and i want to have a good hair line when i am still young, still pretty, and still in college were i will proly meet my future wife that picked me cus i looked good or i could take your guys advise wait till im 30 when im out of collge, old looking and with some girl that picked me cus the dude with good hair was gone. One more lil point to make. You tell dudes that right after they just got there HT and the hard part is waiting for the hair to come in a couple of mounths and you consule them and tell them it will be alright soon, But when some 20 year old kid comes in hear with a new problem that proly effecting him so much that kids have killed them selfs over it(wich is not the answer)and you guys are like well eat some pills spray some sh*t on your head and check back in 10 years and see what else has fallen out and we will tell you what two do then without a second thought.

Well maybe now its time to take that second thought.

Peace,

JO20.

Ease up and breathe a little, JO20. Believe it or not, many of the guys here have walked in your shoes before (including me). Noone is telling you to hold off on getting surgical treatment because of your age to discourage you, or to demean you, or because they wish you any ill will. The reason that most will tell you to wait right off the bat is because they have seen the unfortunate results of young guys going and getting surgery from unethical doctors without thoroughly addressing the problem.

Hair loss is progressive. In fact, it is not unlike a runaway train in some cases if left untreated. If you don't believe me, take a look at my own "before" picture (the very first one that pops up) that was taken when I was 25.

My thread

Now, imagine that if when I was 20 and had just a little temple recession I had gone in and gotten my hairline surgically replaced and didn't bother to "eat some pills" and "spray some sh*t on [my] head." The resulting bold hairline up front and severe recession behind would be disastrous. Even more unfortunate would be the grim reality that I would have used up much of my precious donor area hair on that new hairline and I would more than likely not have near enough to transplant behind it to keep up with the recession.

This would mean that after I receded so much, I would eventually just have to go back in and remove those grafts, resulting in scarring in the very noticeable place of the forehead. If I did get lucky, I would be able to recycle those old grafts, but that is a very small silver lining on a very large cloud.

Do you see what I am getting at? You *are* going to lose more hair and how much and how fast you are going to lose it is very much up in the air at this point. Your family history of hair loss is a good indicator but is by no means 100% accurate.

Preventative medication such as Propecia and Rogaine work. Maybe not as well for some as for others, but taken diligently most men will recieve benefit from them. The earlier you start, the better your benefits will probably be. The goal of Propecia is not so much for regrowth, but more for maintenance in that not a whole lot of guys regrow hair with it alone, much less along the hairline. In fact, if nothing at all happens (meaning you dont lose any more hair) then that is a great sign that it IS working. Rogaine is a much different entity as it is a growth stimulator. While in many guys, it still only helps them hang on to hair that they have in a lot of guys, it means that they will recieve regrowth. I have been fortunate with this. The stuff works, period.

I know that you are frustrated. Believe me, I do. At 20, I was easily a NW2 and I didn't have the benefit of the exchange of information over the internet. In fact, I relied on the bad information that my family doctor gave me and it proved to escalate my situation.

You didn't say as to whether you were actually taking or considering taking medication for your hairloss, but I would strongly consider it if you truly want to be proactive. I also want to STRONGLY discourage you from going out and finding the first doctor that will agree to operate on you. You only get one scalp and an excruciatingly limited amount of donor area hair. This is not a thing to roll the dice and hope for the best on.

Here are a few pages to consider:

HT - Is it right for you?

HT Repairs

This is just to show you what other unfortunate individuals have had to live with and now have to pay to have resolved.

Guidelines for the young HT patient

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help to you.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

First, i am on minoxidil and im about to get on propecia.

Second, i have contacted shapiro and they have my pictures and i am talking to them. If you can name a better place i would like to hear it.

Third, I have read threw most of the post on this web site, i know my stuff and i have been posting here for about 6 months now.

Fourth, thanks for the information but some of the guys that come in hear that are young just get pushed aside like i said so what i said is true

DUDE,

GET THE FULL BOAT(HT) AND CHECK BACK W/ US IN 10-12 YRS SO WE CAN LAUGH WHEN YOU SAY "I GUESS YOU OLD F*#$%'S WERE RIGHT".

WE WERE 20 AND IN COLLEGE AT ONE TIME- IF YOU CAN IMAGINE THAT.

CHILL FOR A WHILE CAUSE HT IS STILL NEW BY MOST STANDARDS.

MAYBE THERE WILL BE "THE SILVER BULLET" SO YOU WONT HAVE TO DEAL W/ THE TRANSPLANT

I would just like to say that Robert and markcia about summed it up. However, I'll add a little something too. If you get a HT now, you will always be playing catch-up behind nature. I'm sure there will be many times in the next 10-20 years, after the original HT, that you will look unfinished and will want more and more. If you have the resources, money and enough Fu's to last you a lifetime- go for it. But what happens is you will have a great looking hairline and nothing else. And that impressive 20 year old hairline will look like crap especially on someone say thirty or forty... it will most certainly will look like it doesn't belong. At least wait until you can obtain an impressive distinguished hairline. You really can't count on any medical advances to play in your favor.

Don't wait until your bald... just wait long enough until you and your doctor can determine the natural progress of your balding.

If your 20 and losing your hair...your probably heading to a NW 6-7 over the next 10 years. So, how many HT's are you willing to have?

If woman don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy -Steve Smith 'The Red Green Show'

Originally posted by JO20:

First, i am on minoxidil and im about to get on propecia.

Great. Sounds like you are taking good, educated steps in putting a stop to your hair loss.

Second, i have contacted shapiro and they have my pictures and i am talking to them. If you can name a better place i would like to hear it.

One would be hard-pressed (read: impossible) to locate a more qualified physician to give you an assessment. Great choice.

Third, I have read threw most of the post on this web site, i know my stuff and i have been posting here for about 6 months now.

I don't think I questioned that. I don't believe that the tone of my post conveyed that I was talking down on you or patronizing you. I did my best to give you a well thought-out response to your concern and to try to give you some insight as to why some members may act the way they do.

Fourth, thanks for the information but some of the guys that come in hear that are young just get pushed aside like i said so what i said is true

...and that is an unfortunate occurrence that happens at times and I do my best to jump in and help any poster that wants advice. If you see any that I have missed, then please bring it to my attention. I don't want anyone walking away from these forums without the knowledge that they came here to get.

Your posts sound like you are fed up. Hey, if I can give you a hand with anything, let me know. But you should realize that people really are looking out for your best interests. I'm not telling you not to pursue the option of surgery, I am just asking that you tread lightly and armed with what you are getting yourself into for your own good.

Dude, I have been there. I'm only six years older than you. Look back up at my post. I want you to find a solution as much as you want one. That's what we're here for.

I also want to bring your attention to Brando's thread. Brando was 20 when he had a procedure done with Dr. Cooley.

Brando 1 year post-op

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

J020,

I think I may be close to your situation, being only 3 years older than you. I think what everyone is trying to say is that, don't get a HT too early. YOu probably know by now just how careful you have to be. When I got my HT, my doctor wanted the HT to be so that when Im older it wouldnt look as fake, because the hairline of a 40 year is usually different than a 20 year old. And, my doctor also explained that I would need more HT's when the other receded if I had the available donor area. If you do go ahead with the procedure, make sure you don't get too many grafts, I wouldn't think you would need anything below 1400. Can you post any pics of your hairline so we can have a better picture and give the best advice? From this board, most people agree that Shapiro is one of the best. There's always a risk in a HT. That's why you shouldn't rush into a decision, just take your time and figure out what route you feel will be best for you.

Aight, The reason i did the origanal post wast to get out there how some of the younger dudes are pushed aside. I have said what i said and thats all i can do.

Next I do listen and read or i woulden't be here markcia so stop being senstive about your age.

Forum moderater thanks for all your great advise. Its good guys like you are around to help people out like me. Thanks agian.

And the last part. Lets get some history on me. My moms dad died in his fifty with a army style flat top fade. Thats a good head of hair. My dads dad died uin his fiftys with a full head of slicked back fiftys style hair. My dad lost some hair in his early twentys and realy its been real slow sinse then. THe man basicaly still has a good head of black curly hair. SO im not sure where to look to see what my is going to do but i would be more shocked if i went very bald then if all your guys hair grew back in tommarrow morning.

Whats the rules on the whole looking back into the family tree part.

There really aren't any real rules, per se. Your father and grandfather's situation in that they had much of their hair in their fifties is a postive indicator. I hope that your loss mimicks theirs.

Many think that it comes solely from the mother's side of the family but this is not true. It can, in fact, come from both sides.

-Robert

Originally posted by Forum Moderator and Satisfied Patient

Hey Robert, when are we getting an update from you> I havent seen any pics in months.

Cas

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

I'll have some pics up this weekend...promise.

You do have to get a prescription for Propecia. This can be given to you by your family physician, a dermatologist, or if you go for a consultation, that physician should be able to write you one.

-Robert

I'm not sure what a visit to your doc will cost. Pharmacies offer Propecia for different prices as well. Many guys take Proscar, which is 5 mg of finasteride (vs. 1 mg finasteride in Propecia) and cut it into quarters or fifths to save money. If your physician will write you a prescription for Proscar, you could try this method.

For more info on Propecia, take a look at an article that I wrote a few weeks ago:

Propecia vs. Avodart

-Robert