HAIR TRANSPLANT UK

zara

Im a 35 year old female and Ive been losing hair from my crown since the age of 18. More than 15 years on and I have been heavily reliant on either extensions or wigs- it is very fine on the crown. However with extensions (I had a weave since about 25 years old) I cannot get 'my' hair wet (because the plaits are so thick they would not dry)- this has caused numerous problems not to mention that I no longer would takea holiday to a beach location as its annoyed friends if you dont join in water-based activities all the time and dont say why because youre too embarrassed to say why. I really feel its time to do something that will permanently fix this problem. However researching this is really confusing. There seem to be 2 different types of procedure- DHI and the strip method. Which one is more successful? And are there issues particular to female baldness that I need to be aware of? Before I decide on a doctor/ consultation I want to have as much relevant information so I can really ask the right questions at the right time and make the most of what will no doubt be an expensive procedure. Are there any females out there who have had surgery and does anyone know of a good surgeon in London? Ive read some real horror stories here and elsewhere and dont want to end up with a doctor whose purely interested in his fee.

Thanks, Zara. London

Im a 35 year old female and Ive been losing hair from my crown since the age of 18. More than 15 years on and I have been heavily reliant on either extensions or wigs- it is very fine on the crown. However with extensions (I had a weave since about 25 years old) I cannot get 'my' hair wet (because the plaits are so thick they would not dry)- this has caused numerous problems not to mention that I no longer would takea holiday to a beach location as its annoyed friends if you dont join in water-based activities all the time and dont say why because youre too embarrassed to say why. I really feel its time to do something that will permanently fix this problem. However researching this is really confusing. There seem to be 2 different types of procedure- DHI and the strip method. Which one is more successful? And are there issues particular to female baldness that I need to be aware of? Before I decide on a doctor/ consultation I want to have as much relevant information so I can really ask the right questions at the right time and make the most of what will no doubt be an expensive procedure. Are there any females out there who have had surgery and does anyone know of a good surgeon in London? Ive read some real horror stories here and elsewhere and dont want to end up with a doctor whose purely interested in his fee.

Thanks, Zara. London

Originally posted by zara:

Before I decide on a doctor/ consultation I want to have as much relevant information and make the most of an expensive procedure. Are there any females out there who have had surgery and does anyone know of a good surgeon in London?

Zara . . . With regard to information, I can only restate what this forum used to be good at - and that is to get you to read, read and read again. Spend a few months digesting all the information that's available here - and try to work that in to your ideology of budget, expectations, eventual choice of surgeon (e.g. would you prefer male vs female?) etc. . . . keep asking questions that will enable YOU to make a measured decision - but only when you have ALL the facts.

I think there was a young lady from the UK who went by the name of 'Bee' . . . maybe she occasionally logs on. You might do a search for her last mail.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

with extensions (I had a weave since about 25 years old) I cannot get 'my' hair wet (because the plaits are so thick they would not dry)-

Have you tried some smaller or lighter weaves?

They give you an amount of freedom.

I doubt you will get the sort of density with ahir transplants that you are used to with your wig/weave.

7500 grafts till now. All by Dr. Arvind/Dr.A, New Delhi.

They include strip FUHT, FUE and body hair grafts.

Hoping to accomplish full hair restoration.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried some smaller or lighter weaves?

Ive tried all kinds of extensions- glue on-bonded-weave- I guess I will not have that sort of density but at least I will havea normal hair parting. Im just so conscious every time Im on a train sitting down taht everyone could see its a wig type attachment that even if I still have to wear extensions they will be enhancements rather than cosmetic crutches and alot of girls do wear extensions but Ive no really seen anyone with this full piece. I actually wear something called the Kinsey system now- its light and involves a mesh being placed on the crown. Your natural hair is pulled through and then micro-light synthetic hairs are attached. Its time consuming and expensive and if I carry on having it for 4 years that would pay for a full HT!

Originally posted by SorleyBoy:

Before I decide on a doctor/ consultation I want to have as much relevant information and make the most of an expensive procedure. Are there any females out there who have had surgery and does anyone know of a good surgeon in London?

Well I am pleased so far. I have been to my appointment and its sounds too good to be true...do you know much about the direct hair implant procedure? I dont understand why no-one has mentioned it here...??

Zara . . . With regard to information, I can only restate what this forum used to be good at - and that is to get you to read, read and read again. Spend a few months digesting all the information that's available here - and try to work that in to your ideology of budget, expectations, eventual choice of surgeon (e.g. would you prefer male vs female?) etc. . . . keep asking questions that will enable YOU to make a measured decision - but only when you have ALL the facts.

I think there was a young lady from the UK who went by the name of 'Bee' . . . maybe she occasionally logs on. You might do a search for her last mail.

Regards

Zara, you must be VERY careful. Many of these places both in the UK and the US, are just butchers with good salesmen up front. They will lie, cheat and steal while at the same time disfiguring you. I have not heard of any Doctors in the UK that are worthwhile. Don't risk your scalp. You only have one. This DHI you refer to sounds fishy to me. Can you give us some details of how the hair is extracted and how it is implanted? If you don't know the details, then you aren't ready for a transplant.

By the way, one of the issues with female baldness is that females typically don't follow the standard pattern of hair loss that males follow. It therefore becomes more difficult to find "genetically bald resistant" hairs to use for the transplant.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery