HT question

giants

if money is not an object what keeps people from getting 6 or 7 HT giving them a very full thick head of hair. i understand there would be an issue of donor scars but some of the hair could be used to cover it up.

also could hair be used from other parts of your body to cover up donor scars.

if money is not an object what keeps people from getting 6 or 7 HT giving them a very full thick head of hair. i understand there would be an issue of donor scars but some of the hair could be used to cover it up.

also could hair be used from other parts of your body to cover up donor scars.

i guess everyone is different, the hair on my body just don't grow as long as the hair on my head. never really heard of anyone having to trim the hair on their body because it just don't grow, not to mention that it's not the same texture as the hair on the head. hair from the body are more curly. guess you could get 6-7 hts, but why not do it all at once, if you need that large of a transplant, to save yourself the waiting time.

• Moderators

I occasionally trim my underarm hair because some of it grows to a length of 3 inches or more and thick. Wish I had that kind of hair on my head. I also trim a few hairs on my chest that tend to grow longer than the rest. I'd really like to get rid of the hair on my back and shoulders though. If I did a body hair transplant I'd remove my back and shoulder hair so even if the hair didn't grow on my head very well at least I got rid of the unwanted hair.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

giants..first off, even if money is not an option..the amount of donor hair you have is finite..which basically means once you use it all up..thats it. I think most good donor areas have between 5000 and 7000 grafts that can be used.(someone correct me if im wrong). Thats why doctors like to go conservative at first, just in case you will need to save some until you are older and need to cover the rest of your head.

Also you can have an fue procedure into the donor scar and it will cover it up. I believe i have seen some pics on this forum of fue into the donor.

Hope that helps.

Why can't we all just get 6-7 HTs?

Simple. HTs don't create any new hairs. The number of hairs is staying the same, and your skull is staying the same size. The more hair you take from the back/sides, the thinner those areas become.

After you use up about 5000-8000 grafts (on average), your donor area can't lose any more hairs without looking unnaturally thin and also revealing the strip-scars.

This is why the entire baldness community has such a collective hard-on for the concept of "hair cloning" to work out. Cloned hair follicles = unlimited donor hair supply.

------------------------------------------------

Giant

The jury is not out yet on body hair transplants and whether or not they are viable.. It seems to sound easier than it is and we have primary hair and secondary hairs which have some differences.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Just an addition to the BHT topic---- using body hair from "wet zones" (pubic, arm, buttock) can produce poor results.

There has been a recent venture into beard hair, which is very thick and hardy. I am still waiting to see the results of these transplants.

Dr. Harris recently performed a body hair transplant and is keeping very detailed before and after pics to document his findings.

In addition, Dr. Bisanga is doing some research on 10 volunteers for bht transplants over several small sessions in order to gain some transparency on the issue. (they are adhering to very strict protocol)

Hopefully for those that need this type of treatment it will produce some viable results.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.