"I wish I had started Propecia sooner"

My question is how people do not become preoccupied, paralyzed, or depressed by the statement above (provided the finasteride retains your hair without side-effects)?

(Background: In late 1999 (before I had a bald spot), I asked my doctor about Propecia and he incorrectly (or based on available info at the time) indicated that there was a small chance that if I conceived a male child while on the drug that the boy could develop deformed genitals. This slight, remote possibility (combined with the possible sexual side effects, mixed results, and more concern for growth than retention), scared me away from putting this drug in my system until a number of doctors (primarily HT) and my own research alleviated these concerns.)

I finally started taking Propecia about 2 1/2 months ago and so far there are no side effects. However, I'm almost more fearful of positive results because if the Propecia retains the existing hair without growing any additional hair, I will be kicking myself for not having started years ago.

I know that you have to live in the present and can't look back, but it can be extremely difficult. I would have gone through with my most recent HT for primarily the front half of my head, but the Propecia could have potentially prevented a bald area in the back and future hair transplant work. Just wanted to get some thoughts, so I can prepare myself in the event that the drug does work.

My question is how people do not become preoccupied, paralyzed, or depressed by the statement above (provided the finasteride retains your hair without side-effects)?

(Background: In late 1999 (before I had a bald spot), I asked my doctor about Propecia and he incorrectly (or based on available info at the time) indicated that there was a small chance that if I conceived a male child while on the drug that the boy could develop deformed genitals. This slight, remote possibility (combined with the possible sexual side effects, mixed results, and more concern for growth than retention), scared me away from putting this drug in my system until a number of doctors (primarily HT) and my own research alleviated these concerns.)

I finally started taking Propecia about 2 1/2 months ago and so far there are no side effects. However, I'm almost more fearful of positive results because if the Propecia retains the existing hair without growing any additional hair, I will be kicking myself for not having started years ago.

I know that you have to live in the present and can't look back, but it can be extremely difficult. I would have gone through with my most recent HT for primarily the front half of my head, but the Propecia could have potentially prevented a bald area in the back and future hair transplant work. Just wanted to get some thoughts, so I can prepare myself in the event that the drug does work.

H Gos

Propecia is best at retaining what you have as opposed to growing new hair.. Not to say it won't but it will be marginal.. It is always best to start ASAP to keep what you have.. I've been on it for about 7 years

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

We can all kick ourselves for something we should have done. I should have invested in Microsoft back in 1991, but I didn't. Dang!

Bottom line is, you can't change the past. Live for today and look forward to the future.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Gossamer,

I'm actually one who has made that statement many times. I started losing my hair at 21 or 22 and only started finasteride at 27. But that time, I was already a NW5a, and now am a recovering NW6 thanks to 3 hair transplants.

BUT...though I would have liked to start Propecia earlier...If I knew then what I know now...but we can't dwell on the past or beat ourselves up over it. Hopefully, you don't really become depressed over it...certainly it isn't something that is pleasant, but there is certainly more to life than having hair. Who you are is not defined by how you look, but by what you believe about yourself and your world. Don't let it preoccupy your thoughts where it impacts your life.

But regarding your hair loss situation...if you have ANY native hair, it's advisable to stay on finasteride. I'm glad you started taking it.

The good news is, hair transplantation may be an option for you after trying the medication for at least 1 year. It is expensive, however, and it's important to plan long term...but after careful research and planning, assuming you are a good candidate for an HT...you could be on your way to restoring some hair on your head.

Bill

Regrets are stupid; I don't dwell on "what ifs". If you're already on finasteride then you're doing what you should be and rehashing what you should or should not have done 6 years ago serves no purpose whatsoever.

The only thing it's good for is indulging in self-pity, and there's a lot of more productive things ya could be doing with your time instead. The main one being figuring out what you're not happy with about yourself right now and doing something about it so that you're not tempted to regret it 6 years from now icon_wink.gif

I'm 28. It's not a huge deal, but I reason with myself that earlier finasteride usage might make the possible damaging effects more of an issue.

The body is still doing some slight maturing/changing in the early/mid 20s, regardless of what it looks like (or what the legal system says). I read one source saying that DHT seems to peak at about 25 years old.

So whatever developmental effects that DHT might still be having at age 24-26, at least I've gotten through that point knowing that I'm 100% free of long-term problems being caused by the finasteride use at an early age.

------------------------------------------------