Walk away from deposit?

I've schedule a 1200 graft FU session with a doctor who isn't on the list of recommended surgeons on this site but who informed me during our meeting that he has been approached by Pat about sponsorship in exchange for his name to be added.

I'm a NW3 with the typical widows peak and the plan was to fill in the temple area and bring down the hairline maybe 1/2" on either side. When I asked the doctor about shock loss, he said that he didn't believe it would be a problem with my hair but whatever did fall out due to shock would come back. I left the meeting feeling really good about the whole procedure and as a result left him a cheque for $1000 and booked the appt. What I should have done at that time is quit visiting the various HT sites until after I had the procedure done but ofcourse I didn't.

Once again, after having read some of your stories and advice I'm second guessing the whole thing and am considering walking away from the $1000. I can tell that my hair has become noticeably thinner over the past few months both in density and the hairs themselves and am very worried that shock loss for me could be devastating.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Fox

My question for the HT vets is..."Do I believe the doc when he says that shock loss shouldn't be a problem and what is lost will grow back or is that a line just to get my money and get me in his chair.

I've schedule a 1200 graft FU session with a doctor who isn't on the list of recommended surgeons on this site but who informed me during our meeting that he has been approached by Pat about sponsorship in exchange for his name to be added.

I'm a NW3 with the typical widows peak and the plan was to fill in the temple area and bring down the hairline maybe 1/2" on either side. When I asked the doctor about shock loss, he said that he didn't believe it would be a problem with my hair but whatever did fall out due to shock would come back. I left the meeting feeling really good about the whole procedure and as a result left him a cheque for $1000 and booked the appt. What I should have done at that time is quit visiting the various HT sites until after I had the procedure done but ofcourse I didn't.

Once again, after having read some of your stories and advice I'm second guessing the whole thing and am considering walking away from the $1000. I can tell that my hair has become noticeably thinner over the past few months both in density and the hairs themselves and am very worried that shock loss for me could be devastating.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Fox

My question for the HT vets is..."Do I believe the doc when he says that shock loss shouldn't be a problem and what is lost will grow back or is that a line just to get my money and get me in his chair.

It is my understanding (and experience) that the hair you will lose from shock fallout is the hair you were going to lose anyway in time. The surgury just speeds that loss up a bit. I have never heard of (nor experienced) any regrowth of that hair. The thought of losing $1,000 is nasty, but so could the work this guy does on you. The front hairline is the MOST difficult area to make look natural! Have you e-mailed Pat to verify this guy's story? Pat may have "approached" and REJECTED him?!

Rick M

Got to thinking... What I described would technically be considered Shedding. The area you described as thinning quickly would be subject to Shedding. At 38 that is also what I was experiencing. I either did not experience any Shock Fallout or could not differentiate between it and Shedding. I hope I didn't further confuse things. Maybe some other veterans out there can chime in. Good Luck!

I just read a string of posts from guys who HAVE had regrowth following Shock Fallout. Also, I just read my 2nd post to you and it WAS confusing. Sorry - from now on I'll stick to posting my experience only icon_smile.gif

You should be using Propecia already. Most good doctors will recommend it BEFORE surgery, to try to prevent shock loss.

Does the doctor use microscopically-dissected FU grafts?

There is never any penalty for waiting, when it comes to HT. Your deposit should be refundable, if you give the doctor enough notice. I would think one or two weeks notice. Even then, you may still be able to get your deposit. I don't think anyone should get any HT if they have any doubts in their mind about their doctor, or any doubts that they are making a good decision. In those cases, you are better off waiting, and thinking about your options some more. It's natural to be nervous before a HT, but you should have 100% confidence in your doctor and your outcome.

Even if you lose the money, it is better to have peace of mind. the other option would be to try to reschedule, and give yourself another month or two to keep rersearching. Getting a HT is like buying a house, don't just buy the first one you see, shop around, think things over, see other options...

I agree with Arfy completely. Good advice. I would only add that you may want to consider the premier surgeons who are far from you, as they may offer a more proven track record to make you comfortable. Though no HT is 100% guaranteed as to outcome, there being too many variables in the equation, I believe we would all agree that there are simply some Docs who are top drawer, and we all wish they were in our hometown.

I took Pat's advice and stopped thinking about proximity, and instead focused on the best obtainable quality HT, within reason. In the end, I traveled from Washington DC to Minneapolis. Twice. My second procedure was 8 weeks ago. I do not regret my decision in any way. The travel was the most minor element in the entire process. In fact, I thank Pat AND the Doc, in my mind, every day, especially whenever I look in the mirror. And though I know the Doc has a drawer full of testimonial letters, I'm working on one anyway to send him. He more than deserves it. And it's ok that he isn't located here in DC. Though I've teased him about just that--there likely being more vain men in DC than all of Minnesota! But, many vain men like me will travel wherever he sets up shop. So in the end, he may as well stay put.

Cliff Smith (yea it's my real name)

I like to compare hair transplants to a "heart" transplant. If you needed a heart transplant, you'd fly around the globe to get one from "the best". You wouldn't take any extra chances on anyone else but the #1 guy.

A hair transplant should be no different. You really have one "best shot" at getting it right the first time. HT is a specialty, and it is highly unlikely that one of the "worlds' best" is located in your town. Do yourselves a favor and chip in an extra few bucks for a plane ticket and an overnight stay. You won't regret using the best, and in most cases they are cheaper than the big "hair mills".

If I was starting over, I would do the research, to try to decide "who is the world's best". Every guy deserves an AWESOME looking HT, and nobody should settle for an "okay" one. Don't sell yourself short. And as already said, many of the giants in the industry are relatively inexpensive.

Who is convenient, or who did your friends, or who is cheapest, should not be a factor.

Good luck Foxworth, and keep us posted on what happens.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

To be honest, I'm very comfortable with the doctor who did the consultation with me. He was very forthright, told me what I could expect and was generally on the same wavelength as I. I've seen real life examples of his work and was impressed. My hesitation is not because of him but more because I'm not sure if I should proceed with the HT or not.

As I stated earlier, he told me during our consult that he didn't feel shock loss would be an issue for me. However, I've noticed over the last few months that my current hairline has noticeably thinned. I've been on Propecia for over 2 years and I don't feel that it has done much for me and I certainly don't have much faith in it protecting me from shock loss.

Again my question for you guys is would you trust your HT doctors opinion above your own instincts.

Thanks again

Fox

foxworth -

I'm curious as to how a doctor could predict whether a particular individual will or will not have shock loss. Personally, I'd have more confidence in a doctor that told me "Yes, you could have shock loss, you can't predict it and it varies greatly by individual". I think that's the reality of it. So, if you aren't willing to take the risk of shock loss, you shouldn't get the HT. After reading many posts and opinions on this (doctors and others), I really believe that hair lost due to shock that doesn't grow back would be gone soon anyway. Just my $.02