I'm looking for some hair loss drug feedback

Robert_

I'm almost 11 months into proscar with nothing to report. I don't see any difference in my hair loss, or maintenance. It seems as though the sides of the scalp are continuing to drop, especially around the crown, which is widening.

I'm also experiencing what I believe are side effects as it relates to it's intended purpose -- prostate. I've read that these include burning sensations after urination, which I've had for quite some time.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guys, I been taking propecia, I only lost few hair from the sides nw2 say. Will propecia work for my crown the sides or not? frontal hair receding hairline from one side.

Will propecia work for the front?

plz help .

thankyou

Propecia .5mg

1/2 tablet of hairscript formula

• 4 weeks later...

My regimen:

Propecia- 1mg everyday

Rogaine-5% Foam twice everyday on crown/hairline

Biotin 1000mg - Everyday, good for hair health

Vitamin 400 i.u. - Everyday

Revita - Almost everyday, but way too expensive

Nizoral 1% - Dont know where to find the 2%

Iam keeping my fingers crossed as i have been on this regimen for 5 weeks. I am in a major, major shed right now that started right after I started Propecia, which is prollly a good thing as this may indicate the meds are working!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been taking Propecia (1 mg daily) for about 7 or 8 years. I started losing my hair behind the hairline and further back around the age of 23-24. It was thinning drastically. Got on Propecia and after about 1 year I had significant regrowth and thickening back up of my hair. Recently i am thinning again (I'm now 32) and at times feel I am getting back to as bad or worse than I was before. I am considering adding Rogaine to the regimen and already added Saw Palmetto (figured couldn't hurt). I am going to go back to my derm and discuss options. Guess I should be happy for the 7-8 years I got on Propecia, but no one ever said "Oh by the way, it will stop working or lose its effectiveness after some period of years and you will be back to where you were years ago but have dumped this drug in your system the whole time." Who knows would I have even started? Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Kal-el...The reason Propecia stopped its effectiveness is not because the drug stopped working, but rather because you caught up to the drug...In some cases (this includes me), when you have hair loss on both sides of the family, your hair loss can be so severe not even a combination of the big 3 (Nizoral, Rogaine and Fin) can stop it...The big 3 can slow it down though, but eventually there will come a point when there is nothing you can do...At 32 years old, at least you got to enjoy your twenties and are at an age now where hair loss is prevelant (30% of men at 32 have significant hair loss)...From hearing your story, I hope you had a fun twenties...Consider yourself a succes story, because in cases where the Fin stops working, that means that you were supposed to lookse your hair 10 years ago....Congrats man, you beat it for 10 years...Im 23 years old, and have recently re-started on Fin...Ive got some ground to make up (i look very thin in front and have a tiny bald spot in back)...I can only hope for the results you had...Again, I hope you made the most of your 20s, and congratulations...

Also to the guy who said there is a correlation from DHT to sex drive....WRONG....DHT has nothing to do with sex drive...In fact often times Fin increases your sex drive (this is far more prevelant than cases where it lowers libido)...It does this because your body cant understand why there is not DHT , so it produces extra testosterone to try to make some DHT....Testosterone = sex drive...Fin doesnt mess with testosterone (in 99.6% of cases)

Have any of ya used Profillica? It is like the top hair restoration formula that is preferred over Rogain and others. It has no side effects, and used all natural ingredients.

So if ya have DHT problems, ya shoud give that a shot. It also has a money back.

• 4 weeks later...

hello, i had a same problem of losing hair and my hair was very thin then my friend recommend me propecia its a wonderful prescription drug for treatment of hair loss. Propecia is most recommended first and only medication drug approved by FDA. It works for mild to moderate male pattern hair loss. And i m happy with the results now i have a long n healthy hair

• 2 weeks later...

Sara,

Since the name "Sara" normally applies to a female, I strongly advise you not to tate dutasteride or finasteride unless under the direct advice of a physician. Women who are or are going to be pregnant should not even handle broken tablets let alone digest it, since a potential side effect is birth defects.

You can read all about the side effects of finasteride at www.propecia.com and dutasteride at http://www.dutasteride.com/dutasteride-side-effects.html

Best wishes,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi I have been using finasteride everyday

and applying Nisim extract for regrowing, I don't know if it's working yet, they said you have to use it for 6 months minimum. I'm just starting.

For shampoo I use Nisim the normal to dry and this really works as far as controlling the amount of hair you loose in the shower, that's why after trying it I decided to order the extract I'm hoping for good results.

Recently I was diagnosed with psoriasis on the scalp my doctor prescribed PS shampoo, I'm using this shampoo 2X a week but I don't think

is helping so I'm going to see a dermatologist

next week.

If I may offer a suggestion; in order to determine the benefit a hair loss treatment is providing, it is a very good idea to take baseline (before) photos. Take regular monthly follow up photos from approximately the same angle and with the same lighting. Over a period of three to six months you will establish a reasonably objective set of data points that will help you determine the benefit the treatment is --- or is not providing.

Geno Marcovici, Ph.D.

Originally posted by hairmax:

Hi I have been using finasteride everyday

and applying Nisim extract for regrowing, I don't know if it's working yet, they said you have to use it for 6 months minimum. I'm just starting.

For shampoo I use Nisim the normal to dry and this really works as far as controlling the amount of hair you loose in the shower, that's why after trying it I decided to order the extract I'm hoping for good results.

Recently I was diagnosed with psoriasis on the scalp my doctor prescribed PS shampoo, I'm using this shampoo 2X a week but I don't think

is helping so I'm going to see a dermatologist

next week.

Is this the same Geno Marcovici that was on 20/20??

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Also to the guy who said there is a correlation from DHT to sex drive....WRONG....DHT has nothing to do with sex drive...In fact often times Fin increases your sex drive (this is far more prevelant than cases where it lowers libido)...It does this because your body cant understand why there is not DHT , so it produces extra testosterone to try to make some DHT....Testosterone = sex drive...Fin doesnt mess with testosterone (in 99.6% of cases)

Well i have more sex drive since taking Fin. I also notice that when i am working out, my muscles build up faster. Maybe it is Fin, or maybe because i am now mid-thirty which is the age where most body builders reach their peak. Any thought?

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Hello All,

I just want to bring up the fact that the effectiveness of all the treatments being discussed here are highly influenced by natural factors.

First of all, we need to remember that hair is a non living tissue in the human body. It is mainly composed of keratin which is a fibrous protein. Now when keratin builds up in the scalp, it will sprout the thing that we call hair.

In order to keep the hair healthy, it needs to be properly nourished. For this to happen, the blood flowing in the scalp should be nutrient rich.

We also need to remember that there are quite a lot of factors that can cause hair loss. It can be caused by emotional stress, diseases, environmental factors, hormonal changes, thyroid gland functions, immune system disorders, ad it can also be caused by medication as well as your genes.

So, individuals will get different results based on their own unique circumstances.

There are many natural factors to consider that will not only help prevent hair loss, but will increase the effectiveness of the other treatments being discussed here.

I offer a free ebook on my website available for immediate download, mapping out everything you can do naturally to get the biggest bang for your buck. These treatments being discussed here are not cheap, and there are so many things we can do to maximize their effectiveness... Hope this was of help

Dr. Alex Hamilton

Dr. Alex,

We always welcome input from new members, especially physicians obviously educated in hair loss.

I did notice however, that your post contained a number of promotional links to your website which are not permitted here as per our terms of service. Therefore, I have removed the links to your websites.

Alternatively, you may want to consider our affiliate program or feel free to send me a private message if you are interested in reciprical links.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 3 months later...

I have been using 1/4 Proscar and minoxidil 5% for some years (maybe 8,9 years, I'm not sure). Results are not spectacular and I didn't experience any regrowth, but it has preserved my hair. So yeah, I'm happy.

• 1 month later...

Okay guys and gals, I'm a virgin poster here and have only been doing this whole hair preservation deal for a short time, so bear with me when I might ask a few novice questions. I'm 24, with some hair loss on both sides of the family. I honestly started to lose a tiny bit of hair around 16, and by 18, the crown, and especially the hairline and vertex began to thin. I had long hair(and a lot of it, which made girls in high school jealous haha). When Iwould run my hair through the top, it was obviously thinner than the sides and the back, and it was a much lighter shade of blonde(probably partially due to lots of sun exposure), but from what I've read it seems to me that this was a sign of my pigment starting to go in the miniturizing hairs?. Anyhow, I started to see an accelerration of loss about 2 years ago but still did not do anything about it. I'd say I'm currently a NW2-2.5 but I think I may be on my way to an eventual 4 or 5 years down the line. I had a consultation with Dr. Charles in Boca Raton, Florida(any input on how his frontal hair lines in dense-packed smaller sessions would be great) and he agreed to do 800-1000 for my receding hair-line and temples(temples went 1st, and my hair-line started going back about 1.5 years ago). Having an already larger forehead has only accentuated this fact, so I'm seriously considering an operation in March 09, knowing that I will have to eventually go back for another operation. Might I add that I have fairly thick donor hair, and I'd rather have a thicker hairline in the front. Any input guys?

Okay, and to stay on topic of regiments-

1.25 mg finasteride everyday for only about 1.5 months, in which time I'm seeing further recession and some miniturization in my temple areas unfortunately. I hope this is just a temporary shedding, but I know these things take time.

I also just bought Nizoral AD 1% shampoo, and take vitamins including zinc, super B-complex,E, multi, and fish/borage/flaxseed hybrid daily. Any comments would be appreciated and I hope as I come along here I can help contribute some valid discussions to this knowledgeable board!

If you wanna scream, scream with me....