I'm looking for some hair loss drug feedback

Robert_

Balding Asian:

You might want to try a custom compounded form of minoxidil without propylene glycol. Propylene Glycol is the delivery system for the medication but it is also a skin irritant. It can be replaced with Natural Glycerin. Ask your local compounding Pharmacist if they can make some for you. The only downside is that the Glycerin is oily on the skin.

As far as the hairline, that is a tough one. I am sure if there is something that works one of the guys here will be able to help you.

1st HT 1-5-05 - 1894 FUT's Dr. Glenn Charles

2nd HT 12-18-06 - 1542 FUT's Dr. Glenn Charles

Total: 3436 FUT's

Current Protocol: Propecia Daily, Laser Therapy EOD 20 mins.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! This will be an unpopular post. This thread reads like a junkie's paradise. First I hate to be economical but how much does all this stuff cost? Secondly I'm just wondering what the stress factor is. I understand no one wants to lose their hair, but is it all just prolonging the inevitable? And how many are still in the "cover up" mode. That is so crazy to me. Every mirror is like some secret nightmare.

Maybe there's a few wonderful success stories that you hear with full heads of hair. And maybe some hold on. I find that a planned regimen of transplant can blend and cover and eventually be done with. Often the drugs just are wait and see products.

While it's great that a bald guy goes t5o Hasson and can virtually turn back the clock in 1 or 2 sessions and that being a year and a half. I think many guys around 30 know where it's going. Consult with the best doctors. They see the pattern and can plan a transplant regimen that will help you never have to look really bald. And after 3 or 4 over 5 years you're probably close to being finished.

The drug thing to me is so unproven as to long term affects, results etc. Plus the cost on some of these shampoos and creams is just plain nuts.

It is very smart for a very young guy with nice hair to educate himself on proper nutrition. Some people think I lost the bushy bushy hair I had due to my not eating red meat. Could be. Point is....take care of what you got, but don't use something that the results still give you the "cover up" blues.

Hey Hairbank,

Thanks, I would have been waiting all year for a reply. I have sent him a message about the side effects, hopefully I will get one back, not much hope though seeing as its nearlt 2 years since his last post.

This site is really great and everybody knows what they are talking about, theres a lot of other sites out there, but this has to be the best.

(Signature removed by Falceros - Co-Moderator of this community due to promotional material. Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.

I think this is where I am. I stopped Propecia about 6 months ago (after 15 months on) because it didn't seem to do anything...except for erectile dysfunction at the ripe old age of 21. I'm better in that "department" now, thanks for asking... lol

IIIvertex.jpg That's me, except I have diffuse thinning.

The only remedy I will seek out from now on will be surgery. Pills, concealers, etc, they all take too much time and money to maintain and they could cost you, physically as well.

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Hey dhuge67,

Have you tried combining provillus with propecia? They both affect different stages of DHT and can be used together with no side effects or anything. Just a suggestion.

(Signature removed by Falceros - Co-Moderator of this community due to promotional material. Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.

Originally posted by Jason76:

Hey dhuge67,

Have you tried combining provillus with propecia? They both affect different stages of DHT and can be used together with no side effects or anything. Just a suggestion.

Hey Jason76,

I don't want to use more drugs for hair loss. It's not worth the time or money. I'd rather have another transplant than pay for a "maybe" treatment.

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Ask a Doc for a medical opinion. IMO (I'm not a Doctor nor do I play one on TV icon_cool.gif) no.........one has nothing to do with the other and I've never heard of a problem taking Finasteride with anything else.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks too for the reply Bill. I've seen your HT pics, as well as hairbank's. You guys now have great hair than your pics before.

Later on, hopefully, I can post some pics in my blog myself that can document the progress of my HTs. I consider both you guys good sources of info, 'coz I've read your past posts and all of 'em makes sense whether it be question or answer icon_smile.gif keep up the great work!

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Jason76:

Hey Robert,

You have got quite a range of treatments their, which is the right idea to battle it from several angles. Would just like to ask if you have noticed any side effects from using all these treatments together? I see that you have been using them for quite a while and you seem pretty knowledgeable about the products you use.

Would like to know so I can inform and help other people.

Yup. I did eventually experience a side effect with Avodart. A very slight case of gyno in one nipple. However, with one supplement I was able to be rid of it.

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 2 weeks later...

Dreamcatcher,

Please remove the link in your signature according to the Terms of Service listed below:

"Please note that advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are inappropriate in this community. Those posters who engage in such actions will have their posting privileges removed. Those who violate these terms of usage may also be charged a fine or penalty and be held liable for damages."

Thanks,

Bill

• 1 month later...

I use Rogaine occasionally together with technique from (Link removed) Very satisfied.

Moderator Note: Solicitations are not allowed on this discussion forum. For more information please see our terms of service.

Bill - Moderator

• 4 weeks later...

My classification (1-10):

(My current regime is 1,2,3,5,6)

1 - Finasteride: 9 (7 years)

2 - Minoxidil: 8 (5 years)

3 - Provillus (natural): 7 (1 year)

4 - Revivogen: 6 (1 year)

5 - Nizoral 2%: 6 (5 years)

6 - Ecophane (multivinaminic): 6 (3 years)

7 - Folligen: 5 (1 year)

8 - Aminexil (Dercos): 5 (6 months)

9 - Proxiphen-N: 4 (over priced!) (1 year)

Hey Guys. I just wanted to say a word about dutasteride dosing.

As you all are aware there have been no studies of dutasteride as it relates to hairloss so the question remains: How much and how often do we need to take it? Well the medical community has a general rule: "the smallest dose for the shortest time" to achieve the desired effect. Our desired effect of course is the blockage of DHT without gynecomastia(man boobs) and other estrogenic effects. According to the pivotal study, the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of dutasteride were evaluated in 36 healthy male subjects aged between 24 and 87 years following administration of a single 5-mg dose of dutasteride. In this single-dose study, dutasteride half-life increased with age (approximately 170 hours in men aged 20 to 49 years, approximately 260 hours in men aged 50 to 69 years, and approximately 300 hours in men older than 70 years). Of 2,167 men treated with dutasteride in the 3 pivotal studies, 60% were age 65 and over and 15% were age 75 and over. No overall differences in safety or efficacy were observed between these patients and younger patients. What all of this means to US (Balding dudes) is that if you are between age 20-49 and you take ONE avodart gel cap, it will take 7 Days for Half of the dose to be eliminated from your body....So you decide for yourself. Personally I take one 0.5mg soft-gel capsule every 3 days and have Never had estrogenic effects of anykind and my sex drive is "Strong Like Bull" icon_smile.gif Hope this helps.

Yes I've studied Pharmacology Extensively

I started with Propecia at .5mg a day to get my system used to the drug. I did this for a few days. Now I take .5mg twice a day to equal 1mg.

I may go back to .5mg a day because I read something that Mercks test of .5mg a day was pretty close to 1mg a day. $$$$$$$

I would be careful with Dust. I think your body needs some DHT??.

• 2 weeks later...

Blowdry,

Binding of DHT to the hair follicle results in gradual miniaturization of the hair and eventual hair loss. DHT is primarily responsible for the physical changes that occur during male sexual Maturation and is thought to be proportionally correlated to sex drive as well as erectile capabilities in men. In addition, DHT has been associated with benign prostate hypertrophy (BPH) and prostate cancer. So your body probably needs "some" DHT although it seems to do more harm than good....I don't think any studies have been done to determine just how much we actually need for sex drive, it's probably a minute amount though.

Copied from the Las Vegas meeting notes:

Both finasteride and dutasteride inhibit the development of the type 2 alpha reductase that plays a critical role in the creation of the hair loss causing hormone DHT, only dutasteride also effectively inhibits the development of the type 1 alpha reductase that also plays a role in creating DHT.

According to Dr. Bernie Nusbaum, who presented an update on Dutasteride therapy at the meeting, dutasteride is three times more potent than finateride at inhibiting the type 2 enzyme and 300 times more potent than finasteride in inhibiting the type 1 enzyme.

Based on a randomized, placebo controlled study of 416 male hair loss sufferers, dutasteride improved hair growth in these men more rapidly and to a greater degree than finasteride.

However, dutasteride was shown to remain in the body far longer than finasteride after being discontinued. Dutasteride was also found to reduce sperm counts more dramatically than finasteride along with a higher incidence of decreased libido (13%).

Of additional concern, dutasteride, unlike finasteride, reduces the type 1 enzyme which is found in the brain ??“ unlike the type 2 enzyme which is not present in the brain. Apparently it is not clear at this time what role the type 1 enzyme may or may not play in the functioning of the brain. Thus dutasteride could potentially have yet unknown side effects due to reducing the type 2 enzyme in the brain.

mrkneed,

I don't know if Robert will respond as I haven't seen him for awhile - he floats in and out once in awhile.

But from the report above copied by blowdry, written by Pat our Publisher, yes, Dudasteride is a more potent drug and potentially more effecitve - however, it has not been fully clinically tested and there are most likely higher risks of side effects.

What scares me is that type 1 enzymes are also inhibited and these are found in the brain. The question is...what implication does that have and are there potential concerns for long term use?

I guess until it's been fully tested, we won't have the answer to that question.

Bill

Originally posted by mrkneed:

Robert so are you saying that avodart is better than propecia since it blocks 100% of serum dht??

No, I'm not saying that Avodart is better than Propecia at all. In my post I was explaining what the report from the Las Vegas meeting notes have further confirmed: extensive research has proven that Avodart is a much more potent medication and inhibits much more type 2 alpha-reductase as well as type 1.

It is because of this that I choose to take Avodart. However, I have never suggested that anyone else to take it because it is not FDA-approved for the treatment of male-pattern baldness and because of the unknown role of type 1 alpha-reductase has on the brain, as Bill pointed out.

Anyone considering adding Avodart to their regimen should research the drug as much as possible and talk to their doctor about it first.

I really mean that last part, guys: TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog