I'm looking for some hair loss drug feedback

Robert_

Guys,

We all have gone through the ringer in searching for medicinal treatments to treat our hair loss. I want to help take out a lot of the confusion surrounding hair loss treatments. It's time for us to really share what works and what doesn't. I can use your help.

Post what you use in your medicinal regimen that you feel helps in your fight against your hair loss. Include how long you have used the product, how often, doseage, the pros and cons, etc. I would also love to hear what you have used previously that you found didn't work at all.

I want to eventually compile this information in full reports to post so members can use it as an all-encompased research tool to help them decide what they may want to add to their own regimen.

Your participation helps to keep this community alive. Thank you in advance for taking the time to help out.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go first.

Currently, I use:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI> GSK Avodart - .5 mg per day. Used since November of '04. Some heavy shedding at first, but thankfully passed after the 6 month mark. No side effects noticed as of yet. Works well. Continued thickening of the crown and vertex, though no real benefit seen to the hair line.

<LI> Minoxidil 5% (generic) - 3 to 4 mL per day. Used regularly since April of '04. I apply applications at least 4 hours apart, but not necessarily 12 hours apart. I use 1 mL per application on the crown for two applications per day. I use 1 mL per application on the hair line for at least 1 and sometimes 2 applications per day. This stuff is greasy and can be a pain. I never apply it if I know I am going to be leaving the house in the next two hours, so I usually confine the applications after I am home for the day. Great benefit seen in the crown and vertex at first, but I believe I am just maintaining now.

<LI> Nizoral 2% and sometimes 1% if I run out of the 2%. I use it 3x per week and leave it on for 5 minutes at a time. I think it really helps with the "minoxidil itch" and keeps the scalp feeling healthy. Used since April of 04 so it is impossible to know if it has any real regrowth benefits on its own or if regrowth seen since that time was in conjuction with or solely the minoxidil. Will continue using indefinitely.

<LI> Nioxin Actives Cleanser and Scalp Therapy. In my opinion, one of the best shampoo and conditioners on the market. Used since ~1999. I don't claim to have seen any regrowth or even maintenance, but it works well as a thickening agent and leaves the scalp feeling great and the hair manageable. Will continue to use.

<LI>Alpecin caffiene shampoo and after shower lotion. Used since ~about a month ago. I ordered this out of curiosity and I am glad that I did. Much too early to tell if it actually has any regrowth properties but on the days I use it, my scalp feels great, my hair feels great, and it has a great smell. I drink a lot of coffee so I don't think the added caffiene gives me any kind of rush but your mileage may vary. The after shower lotion smells great and leaves the hair feeling good too. I will continue to use this for a few months to report back on any (if any) results.

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 2 weeks later...

I am not using any drugs yet, but that will change soon.

i have generally thinning hair. getting to norwood 5,i think. Anyway, i have been using

country life maxi-hair vitamins for about 2 months now, and it does seem to have some effect on the way the hair feels. still early for that though.

I have been using emu oil for almost 2 years, and i really like it. it's not going to stop hair loss, but i think it does very well for the hair you have, lot more managable, and shiny and feel healthy in general.

I will be adding propecia soon.

Paris.

I'm not sure what NW I am, but I noticed hairloss starting about 3 years ago. My current regimen seems to have curbed any significant loss, and I don't have any discomfort or noticeable side effects with any of the meds:

1) Avodart (probably standard dosage), generic name: dusteride. I use this every other day, alternating with the next med on this list. Just started about three months ago.

2) Propecia (standard dosage), generic name: finasteride. I use this alternately with avodart. I started using this probably two years ago. I haven't stopped, so I can't really tell if it's been a significant player in keeping my hair. All I know is that when i stopped using minoxidil but kept propecia, I lost a little bit more hair, alhtough because of the time lapse, who knows what's really going on. My opinion: better safe than sorry!

3) Minoxidil (5%). I used to use the OTC rogaine, extra strength, but I got fed-up with the dandruff, itching, application, and itchiness (what eventually made me stop - i did not know that it was necessary to keep it up at the time, and my hairloss was not that great so I decided what the heck). About three months ago, I switched over to special formulations from a local HT surgeon (Dr. Panagotacos - mixed reviews on this guy), but his applicators are very nice. They don't leave my head feeling greasy, and they seem to have helped with stuff up there. I can't tell how much I use because there's no measurement device. But it's very easy to use, and I have one for night and one for day. I space these out usually about 8-10 hours apart. Occasionally, I'll miss one out of the two doses because I'm traveling or something, but this won't happen for more than a few days at most. I was on minoxidil starting three years ago, but used it sporadically, not applying everyday, taking months off, etc. Only from about 3 months ago have I made it a point to continuously use it...forever. Or until they develop a black magic hair growing spell.

4) Shampoo: Head and Shoulders classic. Someone told me the ingredient helps to stimulate blood flow and hair growth...I don't know if it does, but I don't have any itching or dandruff problem anymore, so I like it. I occasionally mix it up with the Vive thickening thing - not because I think it does much, but it couldn't hurt and it smells better and has conditioner. I switched to H&S about three months ago.

5) Note: I almost always use a concealer every day: toppik. My routine is usually apply minoxidil formulation in the special applicator, and either air dry for 5-10 minutes, or blow dry after waiting a few minutes. Than I put in the toppik. Before I sleep i shower again and re-apply minoxidil for the night. Rarely, if I am going to sleep and cannot or will not wash out my toppik, I will, if available, apply rogaine (because it has the drip applicator) on top of the toppik. I'm not sure if this works. But i feel better about myself in the morning...I've been using toppik for about 9 months.

Results: I've kept my current hair status pretty consistently over the past year, maybe getting a little better. I was totally up and down before that. I have no real recession in my hairline, but my crown and on top of my head are thinning noticeably.

Just for the record, there is no "standard doseage" for Avodart for use for MPB. The standard doseage for Avodart for the treatment of BPH is .5 mg per day.

During FDA trials for Avodart, these results were found:

At 5.0 mg and 2.5 mg per day, Dutasteride suppresses almost 100% serum DHT. Comparatively, 5.0 mg of Finasteride per day suppresses around 70% serum DHT.

At .5 mg per day, Dutasteride still suppresses around 90% serum DHT and 55% scalp DHT. According to GSK, during both the first and second years of the two-year trial, .5 mg Dutasteride daily decreased around 92% of serum DHT concentration.

-Robert

I'm no medical expert, but I surmise that it would be safe. From what I know, avodart (dutasteride) blocks both types of DHT (or something), and propecia (finasteride) blocks only one type. So if you take both, half the time you're blocking, one, and the other half you're blocking both, so that makes sense (I don't take them together, just alternately). A doctor did tell me to take them alternately, and I looked up what dosage I have - .5mg it looks like from the scrawl on the prescription...

jonjon,

So if Avodart blocks both, then what's the point of taking Propeica at all? And I think each one stays in your body well after the day that you've taken it, so they're both in your body at the same time?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I just want to know if there's an advantage to taking both. I might try it myself if I know it's safe.

Haha, no worries. Honestly, I really don't know how it works. I think the doc may have just wanted me to ease onto one in case there would be side effects. Although, he did say that if I didn't have side effects with one, I wouldn't with the other. I don't really trust doctor's blanket advice, because everyone is different and we may react differently to different things. He may have just told me to alternate because (I think) I may have told him that I still had propecia so just to save me from wasting it. I may just switch over when I run out of propecia.

I have been using topical spironolactone for about the last 6-8 months mainly on my crown and midscalp. It seems to be helping out. It appears that I've gotten a little bit of regrowth in the crown and that I have reversed minitiarization on some of my hair in the mid scalp region. Anybody else use spironolactone?

Hi - I've been using propecia everyday for two years - usually taking a one month break in the summer (shock the system, and give my liver and kidney's a break!)

I also use Dr. Lee's 15% Xandrox at night and try to use Dr. Lee's Regrowth Treatment Shampoo 2x a week (but I definately slack on this) - which contains 2% ketoconazole and Salicylic acid 3%.

On alternate days I use a thickening shampoo and conditioner.

So far, so good. My crown is SIGNIFICANTLY better. Even my friends say I look like I have a full head of hair. Of course, that's just appearance. The top of my scalp is much thinner than the sides and back, but overall, I'm happy with my regime and the results it's yeilded.

andy,

Sounds like something maybe I should try. I have a couple of questions if I may:

1. Did you start all of these things at the same time? Do you think Dr. Lee's product is better than Rogaine? If so, why? Could you say how much each contributes to the regrowth?

2. I've seen another guy say that he would take a break from the internals every now and then. What's the science behind that?

I'm not bustin'your chops, I'm really interested in your approach. The guy I mentioned also had sigificant regrowth in his crown. You guys must be on to something that the rest of us are missing. Thanks.

I have been on 1/4 Proscar for about 8 months. I am noticing a slight thickening of my crown and the hair just above it. I had slight thinning in those areas. It looks less "see through" now.

No side effects.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

TS - no worries man. I did not start these at the same time. My first course of action (after trying herbal crap and miracle shampoos!) was Propecia. After about six months or so I started up on minoxidil...about six months later I stumbled upon Dr. Lee's website. Now, I don't think Dr. Lee's minoxidil is better than the stuff you'd buy at Walmart, but he does offer it in higher concentrations. Minox is one of the few drugs that the more you take the better. The more you dump on your scalp, the better results(of course, some people's scalps react poorly to this). So, going on this theory, I decided to try Xandrox 15 - which has Alezaic acid (a supposed DHT inhibitor) and a 15% concentration of minoxidil...the strongest solution out there that I'm aware of... One dose is like taking three doses of 5% maximum strength Rogaine. I really like the stuff - I just apply it once a day before I go to bed. I feel it really helped jump start my crown growth and is helping to keep my temples at bay. I also feel that I saw results more quickly when I started using it. However, I've always taken Propecia with it, so I can't say for sure which drug is responsible for what. It should also be noted that I started young and not too long after I noticed I was going (and I going fast!!!!) They say the earlier you start, the better the results.

As far as taking a break from Propecia...I'm not sure of the science behind it. I've read threads on this site that some people have had success "Shocking the System" by taking a month or so break. Perhaps sparking regrowth or thicker hair? Perhaps...but I figured I'd give it a try for two reasons - 1)money and 2)health. Every drug takes its toll on your liver and kidneys since they both filter and process the pills you swallow. Everyone taking Propecia should ask their doctor for a liver toxicity test once a year. Again, this is going on what I've read - I'm no doctor...and shamefully have not had one of these tests done! I'm such a hypocrit...

As far as Doctor Lee's Shampoo - I like it because it combines the key ingredients from T-Gel and Nizoral 2%. When I notice significant shedding, this stuff usually does the trick and leaves my scalp feeling very clean.

Hope this helps, and please know I'm in NO WAY affiliated with Dr. Lee!!!!!!!

Feel free to ask me more questions if you have them.

This forum was and continues to be a heaven sent for me!

• 3 months later...

hey robert, you may not see my post as this is an old thread, but uh, you said after switching to avodart you shed, but then had thickening in the crown (that's the front, right? sorry i'm retarded). Well i'm just wondering, about how long did it take for you to get back to where you were before you started taking avodart? like if you say a year that would mean for approx. six months you were losing, and then six months after that you were equal to a year prior, but gaining from then on.

The crown is actually not the front but the actual "top" of the head. Mostly where you would find a cowlick.

2551031081_ABCAA41E0280FF47C2CA22A14DC28B1F.jpg

That is my crown. (Yes, the part that is still a little thin. icon_smile.gif)

I couldn't really make an honest assessment of Avodart's effect (if any) on my hairline or even behind it since I had grafts placed there so near the time I started Avodart.

Now, most of the shedding I got was at the crown and slightly forward of it, which is referred to as the vertex. That shedding was pretty heavy from months 3 to about 7 or 8 but after a year on Avodart, let's just say I was glad I stuck it through. My crown thickened up significantly (that photo is at about my 12 month mark on Avodart; trust me it was MUCH worse before). I have had no real shedding sessions since then and no sides. I cannot complain about Avodart a bit but I still urge people thinking about using it to take the time to learn about it.

-Robert

• 1 month later...

Robert,

I'm currently on Propecia (one 1mg finasteride per day), Rogaine (2% - twice daily) and Nizoral (2% - 3-4 times per week), MSM (3,000 mg / day) but have never heard really of Avodart. Based on what you wrote, it sounds to be a good addition to my regimen?

I have had HT on my hairline and vertex but I'm hoping everything else will save my crown from needing any HT in the future. So far - so good! It's definitely thickened it up thus far.

PS - thanks for your good help on these topics!

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

M&M,

I would encourage you to thoroughly research Avodart before switching to it from Propecia. I just started taking Propecia about 3 months ago and researched both options heavily before deciding on Propecia. The final factor in my decision to chose Propecia can be found in this article by Dr. Epstein.

Avodarts advantage over Propecia is that it blocks DHT Alpha Reductase-I along with DHT Alpha Reductase-II. Propecia only blocks DHT Alpha Reductase-II. So, at the recommended doseage, Avodart blocks 90% DHT while Propecia blocks 70%. However, the fact that there are levels of DHT Alpha Reductase-I in the brain causes me reason for concern. Refer to the article for more detail and good luck with your research.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hi Robert_,I did a lot of reading on this site inorder to come up with a regimen for myself. I am taking 1.25% Proscar, 2% Minox (I will switch to 5% once 2% is used up),Nizoral 2%, Vive for Men (Just trying cuz my Nioxin is gone). Also, I am thinking of using Neutrogena T/Gel Daily Control 2 in 1 dandruff shampoo plus conditioner as they don't have the T-Sal brand here in Canada. I have a few questions: I can see that you listed three shampoos in your regimen. How do you use it in a week? Is Neutrogena T/Gel Daily Control 2 in 1 dandruff shampoo plus conditioner a good replacement for T-Sal(its the closest I can find)? Why do you take MSM and what is it supposed to do(cuz u listed it as a part of your hair regimen)? Do you think there is any benefit in taking Saw Palmetto along with 1.25% Proscar? I also take Centrum Forte (Multi-Vitamin, Multi-Mineral) Do you think that can affect my hair regimen? Let me know. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Toronto Guy:

Why do you take MSM and what is it supposed to do(cuz u listed it as a part of your hair regimen)? Do you think there is any benefit in taking Saw Palmetto along with 1.25% Proscar? I also take Centrum Forte (Multi-Vitamin, Multi-Mineral) Do you think that can affect my hair regimen? Let me know. Thanks in advance.

1.) Use the search option to find a lot of good info on MSM. Click on the 'Find' button at the top of this page to do searches.

2.) Regarding Saw Palmetto, use the search option. Personally, I haven't noticed this herb being included in many of the hair regimens that I've seen on this site.

3.) Taking a good multi-vitamin can't hurt. Many vitamins and minerals are important for hair health and growth. For example, biotin is very important.

Hi Everyone,

This forum is great and I'm glad it is around for me to post and do research from.

I consider myself pretty lucky as I am 38 years old and only recently have I noticed my hair loss, which began when I was about 21 and I noticed a lot of hairs on my pillow. I guess, I just had a great thick head of hair that really covered things until recently. And I believe it is more pronounced as I have black hair over asian skin.

My hair loss is generally all around but no real pronounced patches of baldness in any one place. Although, I do noticed a bit more in the vertex area. Just generally thinning hair but not a receding hairline.

So, to combat this hair loss, I have started today with generic minoxidil 5%. It was 20 bucks at Costco, compared to Rogain, which was 50! I already have a flaky scalp and heavy dandruff (which can be seen 10x in black hair), so I am going to plunk down the extra money and start using Nizoral to combat the flakes and itchiness that Minoxidil is reported to bring. I am also a believer in Nioxin, which my cousin, who is hair stylist, can get me cheap.

What I am not sure about, is how I can combat the areas where monoxidil cannot help me. For the front part of my scalp, what do you recommend?

Thanks everyone!

• 5 months later...

I have been on Propecia for over 8 years now and I must say I have had great success with it. Before I started taking Propecia, I was 28 years old and noticed a small bald spot on my crown. I also noticed I was loosing several hairs in the shower. Even when I would wake up in the morning, I would see too many hairs on my pillow. Flash forward 8 years later and the small bald spot on my crown is now full of hair. I never missed a dose in all of these past eight years and I have never experienced any side effects from the drug. Now at age 37, I notice my frontal hair line is beginning to receed. We all know that Procecia is no benefit to the hairline. For now I'm using Toppik to achieve a fuller hairline. I figure down the road if my hairline receeds more, I will look into hair transplantation.

• 6 months later...

-- Propecia daily and Nizoral 1% shampoo about 3x/week. I just started everything about 6 weeks ago so it's too early to know much.

I'm only taking .25mg per day of the fin.

(Who needs Proscar? Even true Propecia ends up being pretty cheap when each pill lasts for 4 days. And there's no way to hack Proscar pills down small enough for .25mg anyway.) Even the .25mg/day has been enough to give me sexual sides. Definitely made me a believer that fin's dosing curve is kinda flat. I'm not sure whether I'll stay on fin or not. It's powerful stuff. Mild testicular ache when I started and I would have quit within days if it had not faded away. I still don't trust this stuff at all.

I don't know how the rest of you guys are, but I can really feel the inflammation on my scalp when the DHT is pumping. Seriously. I first started using Nizoral because I could feel the difference. There have been times of high stress/hormones when I've actually taken an unecessary shower in the middle of the day for no other reason than to use Nizoral to cool down my inflamed scalp.

I don't even have to remember to take my daily finasteride dose in the morning or not, because I can literally feel the difference on my head any time I forget. Half an hour after I swallow the pill fragment I know I did it. I wasn't expecting anything so dramatic & immediate before I started Fin.

------------------------------------------------

Hey Robert,

You have got quite a range of treatments their, which is the right idea to battle it from several angles. Would just like to ask if you have noticed any side effects from using all these treatments together? I see that you have been using them for quite a while and you seem pretty knowledgeable about the products you use.

Would like to know so I can inform and help other people.

(Signature removed by Falceros - Co-Moderator of this community due to promotional material. Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.

Jason76-

Thought I'd let you know Robert hasn't been active on this site for awhile so he likely won't respond to you. You may want to try clicking on his poster name and personal info to see if he shows his email and try to reach him that way.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.