did i accidentally pull a graft?

I have been touching my scabs, but not picking them. I had a scab with a piece of hair come off. It bled enough to leave a line on my finger, and I dabbed it dry with a piece of paper. It took a few seconds. Is that most likely a scab gone and a little blood loss or did I lose a graft? I do not know what to expect.

I have been touching my scabs, but not picking them. I had a scab with a piece of hair come off. It bled enough to leave a line on my finger, and I dabbed it dry with a piece of paper. It took a few seconds. Is that most likely a scab gone and a little blood loss or did I lose a graft? I do not know what to expect.

Most likely NO, you didn't. When a graft comes out, you would not be wondering if it was a graft, you would know. That's my opinion anyway. The grafts have the entire follicle attached, bleed like HELL, and are just plain obvious. You probably just bled from the scab.

I had surgery on Monday. It is probably a scab only. I had three scabs on my face this am when I awoke, although they were in the very front, which I am sure was just a single hair graft.

BTW, I had a 1700+ graft hair transplant done over an area of about 2" x 3". What kind of density can/should I expect in 6 or 8 months? I know it is not easy to answer, but if anyone has a ballpark idea of what I can expect, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Actually...it's not that difficult of an answer at all if you talk about density at maturation (rather than 6-8 months), assuming all the grafts grow AND that all the grafts are evenly distributed.

You can use a variation of this formula to calculate your answer:

(Density in FU/cm2) X (strip width in cm) X (length of strip removed in cm) = Projected number of grafts

which would be

(Density in FU/cm2) X (recipient width in cm) X (recipient length in cm) = Projected number of grafts

Putting the numbers in, one has to convert the inches to CM

2 inches = approx 5 cm

3 inches = approx 7.5 cm

So now you can plug in the numbers:

DFU/cm2 X 5 X 7.5 = 1700

This becomes...

DFU/cm2 X 37.5 = 1700

This becomes...

DFU/cm2 = 1700/37.5

DFU/cm2 = 45.33

OH...and if you make the assumption that you are 60% at 6 months, and 80% at 8 months, you can calcuate an approximation of your density at 6-8 months...HOWEVER, these percentages are not only averages, but also based on graft maturity, not necessarily new growth.

Cheers!

Bill

• 4 years later...
Most likely NO, you didn't. When a graft comes out, you would not be wondering if it was a graft, you would know. That's my opinion anyway. The grafts have the entire follicle attached, bleed like HELL, and are just plain obvious. You probably just bled from the scab.

Think I might have done the same thing as 10days out but how do you know if its a graft or not? I'm day 8 and concerned. There was some bleeding which stopped pretty quickly with compression. My wife had a look and there's a small hole where the hair/scab/graft came out. Is this normal or have I lost a graft?

Edited by Geoff

Geoff, it does sound like you may have lost a graft. I know it'll be annoying to think that you could've harmed your final result, but one graft shouldn't make much of a difference.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks Mattj. I think you're right and its a graft. From reading other threads it appears that its normal to shed hairs with scab but the meaty bit is essentially the graft and thats something you don't want to lose. It probably dislodged a few days post op before finally coming out when I was able to wash (day8) a bit more aggressively.

Hello there:) I been reading a lot about people freaking out because they were picking at their scabs. I started picking at some of my scabs with my finger nails after the 12 th day of my surgery. I have done this in a gentle manner though. However Iam afraid I did some damage already to my grafts. I removed some of the crust with my nails and sometimes just the crust came off with no hairs and some other ones the crust came out with hairs. No blood or nothing just the crust and the hairs. I won't be picking at them no more, but I would like to know if I maybe damage some of my grafts by picking at them with my finger nails? Thank you

Oh another thing one time when I was sleeping I scratched my head really hard on my hairline for about 2 to 3 seconds.

As I understand it you can't lose grafts after about day 10. Also to lose a graft there will be blood and it won't be just scab and hair there will also be a meaty bit as well. In your case I don't think you've lost any grafts. I'm not sure of any evidence that picking your scabs damages the graft but its not recommended so its advisable not too.

Geoff,

Usually when one "pops" or dislodges a graft post-op, there will be a steady trickle or stream of blood that oozes from the recipient site. It will usually run down the scalp like a tiny river.

Having said that, sometimes we can lose a graft or so from the frontal hairline where single hair grafts were placed. Those recipient sites are usually very tiny especially if they were created with tiny micro-sized blades. Those recipient sites do not bleed as rampant as the larger incisions that were created. Possibly those were the small ones you fouind on your face.

Either way, most of the grafts are securely held in place after 72 hours post-op. Just be careful not to scratch them or rub them too hard from the itching sensation which is a side-effect from the healing process.

Best wishes to you on your regrowth!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY