Density question

Originally posted by Dr. Timothy Carman:

Marko-

Those photos are great. It would appear that (and granted this is an estimate from a photo) that a second procedure of 2500 grafts would be the maximum one could safely place, assuming an area of 60 cm2. If in fact the angles (of your newly transplanted hair) proved not to be as acute as they should have been, carefully placing the grafts in the area at a more acute angle (so as not to traumatize those hairs from the first transplant) can overcome any styling problems which you might experience.

60cm2? Isn't that a bit high, i thought 40 cm2 was about the safest density one could realisitcally pack without risking survival of grafts?

To my knowledge Dr.McGrath operates with a 35 cm2 philosophy.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Originally posted by Marko Ramius:

Gotcha. But does "doing it right" necessarily mean another 2500? Do you think another 1500 would be half-assing it? That would be 3K all in this area.

I think your assessment is accurate.

2500 to 3000 would be acceptable to frame a hairline and provide believable density to the frontal scalp.

The question you and I face, well less you since you've had a procedure, is whether or not it all should be done with one or two surgeries.

One camp says do it all at once, the McGrath camp argues it risks too many grafts.

Its difficult to discern who is right on the issue.

Usually hairlines are packed at higher levels around 50-60 per cm2, sometimes 70. As the doc works toward the back, he decreases the number. 35 per cm2 would be really thin for the hairline. This is one of the problems I had from Cole and had to get my hairline thickened. A thin/sparse hairline really stands out in a bad way.

Many top docs have been densly packing hairline with great success.

Originally posted by Speegs:

Marko-

Those photos are great. It would appear that (and granted this is an estimate from a photo) that a second procedure of 2500 grafts would be the maximum one could safely place, assuming an area of 60 cm2. If in fact the angles (of your newly transplanted hair) proved not to be as acute as they should have been, carefully placing the grafts in the area at a more acute angle (so as not to traumatize those hairs from the first transplant) can overcome any styling problems which you might experience.

60cm2? Isn't that a bit high, i thought 40 cm2 was about the safest density one could realisitcally pack without risking survival of grafts?

Speegs-

In my post the "60 cm2" I am referring to is the amount of surface area to be covered (which is an estimate based on photos...). 2500 FU grafts over a surface area of 60 cm2 would give an average density of about 40 FU grafts/cm. And this would be an average, allowing for an additional transition zone posterior to the current transplanted area to allow for a more natural appearance should he lose further hair posterior to the frontal forelock area.

Does that clarify?

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Keep researching for a ~month and I can almost guarantee it won't be too difficult to discern. The proof is in the pudding, and thankfully for us the better tasting pudding is better for us, too. icon_smile.gif

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Originally posted by Speegs:

Marko-

Speegs-

In my post the "60 cm2" I am referring to is the amount of surface area to be covered (which is an estimate based on photos...). 2500 FU grafts over a surface area of 60 cm2 would give an average density of about 40 FU grafts/cm. And this would be an average, allowing for an additional transition zone posterior to the current transplanted area to allow for a more natural appearance should he lose further hair posterior to the frontal forelock area.

Does that clarify?

Hello Dr.,

A little bit yes, i'm still wrapping my mind around different professional opinions.

Is this assessment one you've constructed through your practice or one that is found in recommended medical literature?