Initial Consult with Dr. Ziering

SoCalCCC

Hello everyone. I've been monitoring this board for a few weeks and wanted to say thanks to you all for your informative posts and pictures. Your comments have helped me feel much more comfortable with considering a hair transplant as a solution to correct some of my hair loss. For the record, it's not that bad yet, but noticeable. I would say I'm currently a type 2 in terms of the pattern of loss and looking to restore my hairline. My current age is 31.

I had an initial consultant with Dr. Ziering in Southern California last week. I spent 3 hours at his office. The morjority of my time was spent with Kelly, Dr. Ziering's patient advocate. She was very informative and went through many of the details with me. We also spent about 30 minutes just going through "before and after" photos and trying to find as many photos that were "like me" as possible. Finally, Dr. Ziering came in and I asked a few questions and we talked about the hairline, etc. He concluded that about 1200 - 1300 units would provide me with what I was looking for and also recommended that I start taking Propecia and possibly Rogaine. I was also lucky enough to speak to a patient who was coming in for a post-op 5 month appointment. He showed me his scar, we talked about the procedure, etc. Very helpful. Anyone else use Dr. Ziering and can share their experiences? Based upon my research he seems like one of the best, but any additional feedback would be great.

I think I'm going to move forward with the procedure, but I'm still really nervous about doing this. My plan is to have the surgery on a Friday and take the following week off of work allowing for 10 days of recovery. Based upon your experiences, will that be a sufficient amount of time? What are the biggest things I need to be aware of in terms of post op?

Most of you on the board seem happy with your decisions so I hope I feel the same way.

Thanks,

If you've spent some time on this board, then why are you going to this doctor? You need to be very careful. The majority of hair transplant surgeons are bad (I'm being nice).

Wait a while SoCal. You are not ready.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Thanks for the response Gorpy.

I did a search for Dr. Zeiring on this board and did not come up with any information on anyone who had a bad experience with him. The only thing I found were some comments regarding his past association with MHR. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? He seems to be all over the place in terms of publicity...Extreme Makover, WebMD, White Papers, Boards, etc. So...my concern is...has anyone had a bad experience with him (or a good one) and is he not a good surgeon but instead a master at marketing?

Originally posted by Gorpy:

If you've spent some time on this board, then why are you going to this doctor? You need to be very careful. The majority of hair transplant surgeons are bad (I'm being nice).

Wait a while SoCal. You are not ready.

You are doing the right thing in trying to find out. It could be that he is good, but good marketing and a fancy presentation are not a guarantee. Maybe Pat can put him on his list of surgeons to visit. Pat does an excellent job of checking these guys out.

Check out the list of recommended surgeons on this site listed here. I would not take a chance on any outside of that list.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

For those of you who had your procedure performed out of state, how did you accomodate that?

I would like to consider Dr. Keene since she is in Tuscon which is a short flight away from Southern California. Did you fly out for the consultation, then out again for the procedure? How soon did you fly home after the procedure? Did you have to fly back for the suture removal?

Trying to keep an open mind here based upon the information I'm finding on this board.

Thanks again.

SoCalCCC,

Dr. Sharon Keene and all other Hair Transplant Network recommended physicians offer a virtual consultation form that you can send quickly and confidentially to the clinic(s) of your choice. Just fill in the details of your hair loss. You can even upload photos (which makes for an infinitely more accurate appraisal of the situation). The forms go straight to the clinic and you will recieve an initial diagnosis via email. Many hair restoration patients have found this to be a very large help in consulting physicians that are located out of their area.

Because you mentioned Dr. Keene, I am including a link to her profile and virtual consultation form below:

Dr. Sharon Keene's recommendation profile

Dr. Keene's virtual consultation form

Best of luck to you in your research and decision.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I was close enough (Phoenix) that I could just drive down. You would want to spend the night after the surgery and get a wash by the clinic the next morning. Not only does if feel great, but they inspect the grafts to make sure everything is ok.

Many people remove the sutures themselves or get a local doctor to do it. It's up to you. The advantage of going to the clinic for it is that the doctor inspects your progress and gives you advice on scab management etc.

The doctor does not actually remove the sutures, an assistant does. It doesn't look like a difficult thing to do.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

It's totally worth it to travel to see the best. Spend an extra 300 dollars on a flight, and an extra 200 dollars on hotel (a drop in the bucket in the overall expenses). It's totally worth it.

If you were getting a heart transplant, you would want that surgeon to be "THE heart surgeon"... NOT the local doc who happens to be the most convenient location-wise. This transplant is going to have to look good for the rest of your life, so don't settle for "pretty good".

I have never had a transplant with Dr Ziering. But he was formerly the #2 guy at Medical Hair Restoration, a big chain of clinics (McTransplants) and I (and a lot of other people) have serious reservations about their medical ethics. I could be more specific however I don't want to get the owner of this website into any legal jeopardy. Lets just say it's my opinion that they don't generally do the best work, just the best advertising.

So on the positive side Ziering quit MHR a few years ago. On the negative side he was a key player with McTransplants Inc. for (what, 10 years?). Which has to bring up the question of ethics... is it something that a doctor either has (or doesn't have)?

Or is it something he can develop overnight, just because he went into business for himself?

Personally I think you either have ethics or you don't. You don't develop ethics overnight, it's part of your entire personality.

Finally, if you need less than 1500 grafts and are just trying to touch up your hairline, be careful. That may not be enough to warrant committing yourself to surgery (with additional surgeries almost guaranteed). If you are in anyway "borderline" about needing a transplant, or doing it because you "kinda" need it, you are probably better off waiting, researching, thinking things over, meeting with patients, for the time being.

My 2 cents.

• Administrators

Gorpy,

Maybe Pat can put him on his list of surgeons to visit. Pat does an excellent job of checking these guys out.

Thanks for the above suggestion. I did look into Dr. Zeiring and based on what I learned in my opinion his ethics suck. This apple, despite all the talk of turning over a new leaf, unfortunately seems to have fallen very close to the tree from which it sprang - great glitzy marketing and PR and assembly line Mcprocedures.

His non presence on this community is no oversight, believe me. As Arfy hinted at, a zebra doesn't change its stripes - although it can change locations.

Some things, especially those that last a life time, are worth traveling for.

Arfy, do not feel hindered by lawsuits in saying the "Emperor has no clothes" on this forum. Those who want to sue me are free to do so and they certainly have in the past. I've got a great attorney and the 1st amendment on my side and I don't give in to intimidation.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Originally posted by GuitarPlayer:

Ziering seems to be very controversial. With that being said, I did see him do a good job on one of the Extreme Makeover shows. On any account, as a rule of thumb you should always get at least three opinions.

GP, I highly doubt you saw what you think you saw. I've seen Extreme Makeover a handful of times and the only times I really paid attention was when there was a hair transplant involved. But the trick on that show is that they never actually show you the grown-out transplant (how can they?, it takes 10-12 months), what they show you at the end of the episode is hair extensions and weaves and they insinuate that this is what the transplant will look like when it's fully grown out. And as we all know, the promise of a final result doesn't mean anything.

As for SoCalCC, it is extremely rare that 1200-1300 FU grafts are sufficient for someone who has suffered enough hairloss to warrant transplantation. Furthermore, you actually said you were told 1200-1300 "units" - are these _FOLLICULAR_ units? Based on your research he's one of the best, what research was that?

• 3 years later...

It's better late than never.... I've seen the post in 2005 and its now 2009 Oct... anyways, i've been involved with hair transplant surgeons all over US, and to be honest with you I've never encounter anyone as compassionate enough as Dr. Ziering. Ok, I heard his a little bit expensive but, if you're buying a Ferrari what do you expect? go treat yourself to a Hyundai if you want a bargain, am just saying. We can't put a price tag on happiness and contentment; and if you do Pls don't go to him...

Just put it this way guys if I would ever loose my hair I would fly down to California and won't think twice. Just asking, why would stars (Hollywood or Sports) go to him and have it done???

LMAO @ comparing Ziering to a Ferrari...maybe a McFerrari happy meal toy whose gloss quickly flakes off.

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if the shill/cheerleader can tell us which "stars" went to this McDoctor to get their HT done?

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!