Often the debate around hair loss is always focused on men, however hair loss also occurs in women. Women experiencing hair loss can often times be quite devastating since we live in a society that puts so much pressure on a woman to look particular ways. I have been in discussions with some people who will think it is funny when they see a woman wearing a hairpiece or a wig when this may actually be something that is a requirement to maintain her self-esteem and self-respect in society. Especially depending on the field in which she works, these wigs and hairpieces may prove even more important.

Donna, I have never once suspected and feel that almost no one will think if a woman is wearing a wig that they indeed have hair loss. Women have an advantage in that regard. It's more of thinking that she's just doing it for looking better and not for hair loss even vaguely. I personally have been told once or twice that someone I was with was wearing a wig and it was a total surprise to me. That isn't to say that it can't be a bit of a hassle, but other than that I think they look good.

Hair loss in women can be very devastating and emotional. The patient below discusses her feelings before and after a hair transplant. She previously did wear a wig. Pick the video on the right.

A womans perspective on hair loss

You can view more detailed before and after photos below

Women HT Before and After of above video

• 1 month later...

Hair loss can be devastating in men and women. When I started 20 years ago I rarely had female patients, however in the past few years, I have noticed that the number of patients with female pattern hair loss has increased trmendously. Following evaluation and examination if a female pattern hair loss is due to hyper androgenic conditions she can benefit from anti-androgen therapy. We consider hair restoration if the patient is a good candidate. I have had many female patients that had great results with anti-androgen therapy and also I have treated clients that had success with hair transplantation. In either case the results had temendous effect on clients self esteem.

Dr. Meshkin is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

There's definately an increase in women patients in the last few years at SMG as well. The most common hair loss pattern is the diffused overall thinning. With the uncertainty of donor hair viability and less than average donor supply, their session sizes tend to be more on the conservative side than with male patients. However, it's not to say they are not happy and thankful to get enough coverage with a modest size session to forgo the wig or hairpiece.

After clinical evaluation including hair pull, first we rule out any skin conditions or systemic disease that may be the underlying cause for the hair loss. If the female client has a good dense donor hair and is diagnosed with classic female pattern hairloss, we begin topical 2% minoxidil, vitamin supplementation and may consider hair transplant surgery. Usually treatment options for female clients are very customized to patients needs and concerns.

I had a successful HT over a year ago and need another procedure. I'm also planning on having a facelift procedure in a couple yrs and was told by a hairdresser to wait till that's done first.

Any suggestions?

Lisa,

What kind of suggestions are you looking for? Who performed your first surgery? Physician selection is key to ensure a successful and natural looking hair transplant.

I do agree that you should probably only consider one surgery at a time and not do it all at once.

Best wishes,

Bill

Lisa,

It would make more sense to have the facelift done before your second ht procedure. The facelift will leave you with a scar just behind the hairline so during your second procedure, you can speak to you ht doc about transplanting hairs into the scar to hide it.

Hi Lisa,

Normally I suggest to do the facelift first because the hairline moves with the facelift. I recommend to wait until you recover from postop healing, so the blood circulation is not compromised in the recipient area. Ususally I suggest to wait three months after the facelift to do the hair transplant.

Hey in point of fact I have heard that one of the reasons that cause hair loss is stress and some of the shampoos and hair gels and stuff. If you don't get the proper vitamins and nutrition, your hair may be the first thing to show it to the world....

--------------

(promotional links removed)

Sometimes stress can make ur hair fall, poor nutrition. Try prenatal vitamins coz it has biotin. Foods rich in protein like eggs, fish and soya products. Drink lots of water. You can try olive oil, use it before bedtime and wash it in the morning. enough sleep.

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by Emma:

Sometimes stress can make ur hair fall, poor nutrition. Try prenatal vitamins coz it has biotin. Foods rich in protein like eggs, fish and soya products. Drink lots of water. You can try olive oil, use it before bedtime and wash it in the morning. enough sleep.

-------------------------------------------

It's really a hormonal issue. A genetic predisposition to DHT or an autoimmune response. if we can normalize the immune system then I beleive that wil cure most female hair loss. It's something with genes and the immune response.

Carandal,

You are partly right in stating that the cause of most female hair loss is genetic. However, it is has pretty much proven that the typical female pattern hair loss is NOT related to DHT as it is in men's hair loss. Also, I wouldn't say that immune factors are important either. If that were true, then going on steroids would help hair loss, and that doesn't work out that way.

As one of the doctors stated, it is first important to rule out other reversible causes of a woman's hair loss before assuming that it is caused by heredity (which is the case for around 96% of female patients). Usually just looking at the pattern is the most helpful hint. Certain minimal blood tests such as an iron level and a thyroid function test should always be on record.

There is a chemical called aromatase that is present in higher concentrations in the frontal scalp of women who have hair loss, so it may play a role. It's a shame that we don't have more to offer our female patients for hair loss in the way of medical treatment, as we can for our male patients, and there do not appear to be any new drugs on the horizon either.

Transplanting females with hair loss can be a very rewarding experience, but it can also occasionally be very frustrating. The key is making sure the donor hair is of high quality with minimal miniaturization. The other problem is that the residual native hair on top is unusually vulnerable to shocking compared to males. For that reason it is a far better idea to transplant a little more gradually and not to overwhelm the scalp with grafts. 2-3 sessions of around 1500 grafts per session works best in our hands.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

• 1 month later...

Hair loss occurs in women as well as in men, and yes, it is devastating. I've been a licensed hair stylist for over 20 years and have seen my female clients spend thousands of dollars on products for hair growth,hair weaves and wigs of all kinds.

Sometimes the hair loss is a result of mechanical or emotional stress, sometimes hair loss is a result of sickness and/or disease. No matter the problem, temporary or permanent, hair loss produces very low self-esteem in the client who suffers from this problem.

Some people can not become successful in life due to the problems they experience because of hair loss.

Over the years I've been a victim of hair loss due to stress and poor nutrition. The hustle and bustle of everyday life, trying to make ends meet can take a toll on the health of the hair.

The hair gives the first warning signs that something within the body is not working properly.

I am thankful for the doctors and those who work in the hair industry for developing ways to counteract the problems of hair loss.

• 2 weeks later...

Many women lose hair with child birth/pregnancy, menopause, etc. It is well described and known and you are not alone! But the hair growth during pregnancy, isn't something I'm familiar with. I can only assume along with you that it is hormonally related, as there are a number of hormone increases during pregnancy.

• 3 months later...

My post seemed to have disappeared...like my hair is.:D

I was going to see Dr. Epstein in NY but his schedule is very limited and now that I can pay for the procedure I wanted to be able to work it into the month of July.

From my time here on the board in the past Dr. Feller also gets high marks, but I'm not sure if he does as many women.

BTW, the first time I called his office a couple of months ago I never got a call back; today I emailed picrtures to the office and I hope they reach the doctor's desk.

Since it appears that someone from his office is on this board, can you tell me how much of his practice is comprised of women, and if you have former female patients I can speak with. Dr. Feller has a couple of July openings and I would like to get one of them.

Big Sexy Hair,

What post do you think disappeared? We certainly haven't removed anything however, if you posted anything on the old forum during the migration process to the new one, this post may have been lost. If so, sorry for the inconvenience.

You may want to send a private message to forum member "Spex" who should be able to provide you with more specific information regarding Dr. Feller and his practice.

Best wishes in selecting an excellent surgeon,

Bill Seemiller

• 11 months later...

Hi Donna,

I agree that a woman is always under pressure to look good and that means having a good head of hair.

I've lost a lot of my hair and I don't look as good as I used to. That made a big dent in my self esteem and I became very self conscious when I stand next to another woman with beautiful hair.

I resorted to wearing wigs. I did it to empathise with my sister who lost her hair because of chemotherapy. We bought our wigs and we looked good in them. My friends could not recognise me and I got wolf whistles too! Unfortunately, that wig has fallen apart at the crown. I dont know why. I didn' t use it that often, only when I had to attend functions.

I also have a shorter wig which I use occasionally on my bad hair days.

However it does feel hot and uncomfortable when the weather is very hot.

So we are better off than the guys in that we can use wigs.

i had a HT but the sides are now thinning and i cant use minoxdil as the last time i did my scalp got really bad so i stopped. I take supplements probiotic ones but any advice on what else i can do?

I use special shampoo but any idea on which is a good one? I use castor oil too every week as that makes the hair stronger and helps. What else would you suggest?

Donna, I have never once suspected and feel that almost no one will think if a woman is wearing a wig that they indeed have hair loss. Women have an advantage in that regard.

Indeed, most people I know wouldn't blink at seeing a woman in a wig, it's just assumed its for fashion purposes.

Edited by Hairandscalp

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello, I'm new to this site and would welcome suggestions on a range of things. I'm 31, have androgenic alopecia and my hair is very thin on the top and sides but diffuse thinning throughout. It's thicker at the back, which I guess is where the donor follicles are taken from. Is my case viable? Would it work? And where should I get it done?! Brazil? Looking at the pictures on this site of women who have had hair transplants, they are all much older than me, but their hairloss is about the same as mine. I am worried that if I don't get this done now, I will be bald by the time I am 50..