Update: I had a second session by Dr. Hasson in Vancouver, B.C. today.

• Administrators

Note - This message was recopied by Pat the editor from the original discussion group to this vastly improved online community.

The name of orginal poster and the date posted are listed below:

Date: 5/16/01

Time: 10:16:12 PM

Remote Name: 4.40.61.107

Comments

Update: I had a second session by Dr. Hasson in Vancouver, B.C. today. It was much less painful than at Bosley's Seattle office. Also, Hasson obtained approx. 1500 grafts from an incision that was only 8" by 3/8", versus 1600 from two 7" by 3/8" incisions at Bosley. Hasson transplants the exact number of follicular units obtained from the donor site and charges for whatever they obtain, less or more than original estimate. Bosley's method is to charge you ahead of time for the estimated number and somehow make it come out exactly; they did not tell me how, even though I asked. Since it is impossible to guess exactly, I am convinced that if they obtain more grafts than expected, they throw them out. Maybe they put two singles into one site to avoid waste, but they probably would have told me that. If they don't have enough grafts, maybe they split the follicular units (containing 2,3 or 4 hairs) into singles in order to fill the extra holes? If so, thay are not always using follicular units as they claim. I am convinced that much of my donor hair, which is of course limited, was tragically wasted. Since they would not tell ME how they handle any discrepancies in numbers, YOU should get that question answered IF for some reason you choose Bosley. I won't go back.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

• Administrators

Note - This message was recopied by Pat the editor from the original discussion group to this vastly improved online community.

The name of orginal poster and the date posted are listed below:

Date: 5/16/01

Time: 10:16:12 PM

Remote Name: 4.40.61.107

Comments

Update: I had a second session by Dr. Hasson in Vancouver, B.C. today. It was much less painful than at Bosley's Seattle office. Also, Hasson obtained approx. 1500 grafts from an incision that was only 8" by 3/8", versus 1600 from two 7" by 3/8" incisions at Bosley. Hasson transplants the exact number of follicular units obtained from the donor site and charges for whatever they obtain, less or more than original estimate. Bosley's method is to charge you ahead of time for the estimated number and somehow make it come out exactly; they did not tell me how, even though I asked. Since it is impossible to guess exactly, I am convinced that if they obtain more grafts than expected, they throw them out. Maybe they put two singles into one site to avoid waste, but they probably would have told me that. If they don't have enough grafts, maybe they split the follicular units (containing 2,3 or 4 hairs) into singles in order to fill the extra holes? If so, thay are not always using follicular units as they claim. I am convinced that much of my donor hair, which is of course limited, was tragically wasted. Since they would not tell ME how they handle any discrepancies in numbers, YOU should get that question answered IF for some reason you choose Bosley. I won't go back.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

• 3 months later...

99 % of the grafts are thriving. Getting the staples out from the donor incision was very painful. I had a darkening of the scalp in the recipient area. For awhile, I used a concealer from the Bon Marche makeup department to cover it. Now it is barely noticeable. The numbness in the donor & recipient areas has steadily decreased, though I still have a little.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a consultation with Dr. Elliot in Los Angeles, I was checking out this discussion forum and there was a lot of stuff on Dr. True, but no one who actually had a procedure with Dr. Elliott. Can anyone tell me first hand about him, or recommend other surgeons in the Los Angeles area?

Dr. Hasson made all the incisions in the donor area. His technicians (or whatever they are called) dissected the donor strip under a microscope into thin slices. Using the microscope prevents damage to the follicular units. The slices are then cut into the FU's, which are then inserted by the technicians.

I suppose one could get the staples removed by Dr. Hasson if you lived close by. I had the representative at their Seattle office remove mine. No one recommended it, but maybe taking a pain pill beforehand would have taken the sting out of the staple removal.t

He must have meant you could have someone do it for you. I think they will give/lend you the tool. You simply slip it under the staple and squeeze like pliers. The staple is bent in the middle and the ends are pulled up & out. It would be pretty difficult to do it yourself, since you would not be able to see. In my case, it hurt a lot. a

Dr. Hasson made all the recipient sites. Two of his assistants (technicians) inserted the follicular units. Dr. Hasson checked on the quality of their work periodically. He was not always in the room. They all treated me very well. It has been 6 months and it is looking better all the time. I am very pleased I had the work done. I'll try to post some pictures soon, when I figure out how. I don't have a digital camera. "

• 2 weeks later...

I've had 3 sessions with Dr. Hasson over a 2 year period and will have my fourth and final session within a month's time. The first session involved 1325 grafts (975 in the front, 350 in the crown); the second session involved 1250 grafts (925 front, 325 crown); the third session involved 1065 grafts in the front (MY DECISION to lower the hairline about 1/2 inch). Dr. Hasson was quite satisfied with my results and height of hairline after the first 2 sessions but I'm a fussy guy and put my foot down when it came to lowering the hairline for a third session (he was reluctant and thought I was being too fussy but I did still had a good supply of good donor hair(and not everybody does). So far I am 100% satisfied with results-in fact I'm really quite amazed. It's been worth every nickle. Forget about propecia, rogaine and hairpieces if you have the money (or even if you don't-borrow it!)

I checked out 3 different clinics in Vancouver and only Hasson and Wong specialize in HT surgery. The other clinics do it in conjunction with other plastic surgery techniques and I felt didn't have the expertise I was looking for. (I also checked out Boseley in Seattle but they were much more expensive and I'm very sceptical about their infomercial spread).

I was one of the lucky 5-10% of recipients in my first 2 sessions whose transplanted hair kept growing after surgery but with my third session the transplants did fall out after 4 weeks and took a while to start growing. (no one knows for sure why these things happen). Dr. Hasson's minimum waiting period between sessions is 6-8 months (my waiting period between session 1 and session 2 was 6 months; between session 2 and 3, 11 months because I decided to lower the hairline); so when I went in for a check-up after 6 months between my third and fourth sessions and he said it was too soon and to wait another couple of months. Professional and non greedy-he definitely wants good results and seems quite passionate about his work.

As for the guys whining slightly about the pain involved with the staple removal I have to laugh-it's about 3 minutes of discomfort for a lifetime of gain-think about it! Plus it leaves a virtually undetectable scar-even my hair stylist struggled vainly to find it. Also, even after 4 sessions I will be left with only one scar line-not too bad considering other surgeons over the years leave you with multiple scar lines.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions regarding my experiences or with Dr. Hasson feel free to ask.

Cheers

Gary

Actually, what he did was remove the second session strip below the first session strip and for the third session went in between these 2 areas excising the previous scars and leaving me with one scar. (pretty nifty) For the fourth and final session he will excise the scar with the strip.

Brennan, I have been trying to get some answers from the other site concerning Hasson and Wong with some luck but I would like some more details. I'm considering a procedure w/ Dr. Hasson. Can you tell me if you are experiencing any scarring in the recipient areas. I ask this because I would like to have the option of shaving my head if the procedure fails. Have you experienced any shock fallout of other healthy hair due to the procedure? How long does the redness last in the recipient areas? How big of a scar would I experince if I did 1500 FU's? (Your guestimate) Thanks for your info and your willingness to answer questions. I am very interested in doing this procedure but considering all the possibilities if the procedure were to fail. icon_confused.gif

No scarring at all in the recipient area.

Some shock fallout (which is normal) around the donor area but it all grew back within 6 months. My crown area was virtually skin bald so I didn't have to worry about shock fallout there(smile). My frontal area where most of the transplants occurred had only a few hundred weak, dying hairs left that wouldn't grow longer than 1 1/2 inches and MAY have suffered shock fallout (I really can't tell) but they are/were doomed to fall out regardless. The area between the front and the crown (I'd say about a 2" wide band) received no transplants as the hair density is still sufficient (although thinning).

I would guesstimate that 1500FU's would leave a scar about 8" long.

The redness in the recipient area lasted about 8-10 weeks.

I wouldn't worry about failure but I suspect you are nervous (I bloody well was my first session probably because I read too many botched job stories on the internet). It's really, really important to sign on with a skilled doctor with lots of transplant experience under his belt and I'm convinced you'd be pleased with Dr. Hasson's work.

Cheers

Thanks for the helpful info and answering the questions. Yes I am nervous but pretty sold on the procedure. I hope to make a decision and move forward in the next month. I actually just post another topic concerning Propecia nad shock fallout. For some reason, I was not able to find your replies.

I of course found your replies after I had already post the new topic, so it may seem like I'm repeating myself.

Have you guys had much success w/ propecia?

Thanks icon_razz.gif

I've been using propecia for 5 months, since my surgery. I can't honestly say if it's working or not, but I guess I'll give it more time until something better comes along.

• 4 years later...

I had another procedure with Dr. Hasson on 4/5/06. It was 3rd procedure altogether, but my second with Dr. Hasson. A 14" (Wow!) incision produced 2230 grafts, which were all placed in the front & on top, none in the temples or crown. Donor area is still tight & tender. I needed more pain pills than they gave me to take home. Like I said 5 years ago, I'll post pictures eventually. Now I do have a digital camera. It has been so long since I have posted, I had to re-register.

Besides this site, I also look at HairLossHelp.com. I posted my photos on Hairlosshelp.com. Do a search in the Patient Forums for any entry by author "doug h" and click on "my website" to view my photos. I did not take photos right after my last procedure (may 2001). At the time I had been taking several supplements (Vit E, gingko-biloba, garlic) that may have had blood-thinning properties. I took them until just before the procedure & I think that they contributed to the slow stabilization of the clotting of my recipient sites. The tiny scabs kept getting bigger & bigger, eventually melding into large thick scabs, some 1" by 1/2". I think that the slow blood clotting also kept the underlying tissue from stabilizing properly, giving me 3 months of pink scalp. For the procedure that I just had (April 5, 2006), I stopped all blood-thinning supplements a month prior and stopped every supplement a week prior. The difference was remarkable. After 8 days, all scabs (which had stayed small) were off & my scalp is not very pink. The slight amount of pink is not really noticeable with my existing hair, which is now almost 1/2' long.

Update: During my first two procedures I had a total of 3130 grafts (1600 grafts in Oct of 2000 & 1530 grafts in May of 2001). Of those 3130 total grafts, approximately 2400 of them were placed in the top/front, my current recipient area (the rest were placed in the back & temples).

For my 3rd procedure on 4/5/06, everything went smooth. All the staff members were kind, caring and accommodating. It's a top-notch facility with an amazing view of the city (with bald eagles flying by!). Very little pain or discomfort (well, except the pain shots in the donor area), watched two funny movies and had a great chicken stir-fry lunch. Dr. Hasson clipped the hair short (1/4") in the recipient area (top/front) & removed a long (almost 14") donor strip (2230 grafts). So, by adding 2230 grafts to the 2400 grafts I already have, I will have almost double the density in the front. Since I was more careful this time to avoid any blood-thinning supplements before the procedure, recovery in the recipient has been much better than last time. The scabs stayed small and were all off by 8 days. My scalp is just a little pink. Very little pain or swelling there. I am still fairly numb above the donor incision and on top, as I expected. The incision is still tender and the skin in back has felt tight, but after 11 days, it's beginning to loosen up. If I tilt my head very far forward, it pulls the skin tight in back, causing a burning pain in the back part of the incision. Parts of the incision are still very tender to the touch. I'll post photos on HairLossHelp patient forums as things develop. With the rest of my hair 1" - 1 & 1/2" long, I am looking strange, until I can get the staples out and get a short haircut all over. Meanwhile, I am getting tired of wearing this baseball cap I got from H & W, even though it is my favorite color (black).

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently two years out from my 2750 graft single session with Doc Hasson...amazing results! My hair is fuller than when I was 30 and I am currently 52. I didn't start to lose any hair until my early to mid 40's, and I just wanted my frontal area returned to me. Doc Hasson did a wonderful job. I spent many months researching HT Doctors via this and other sites, which brought me to the conclusion that it was worth the trip from Maine to Vancouver to see Dr. Hasson. Great guy, well meaning in all respects and very good at what he does. The follow up from him in terms of "holding my hand" was first class.

Anyone wishing to have a world class HT, virtually no donor scar, and naturally flowing hair that is impossible to tell was moved into place, should consult Dr. Hasson in my opinion.

The Headcheese icon_smile.gif