My experience

I had 2,000 FUs in August, 2001. I went to Dr. Shapiro because I could find nothing bad about him anywhere, and in fact, much good has been said about him. Now I am among those saying good things about him.

The top of my head has not looked this good since college. I'm 49 and I am beginning to feel like I am 29! I've always looked young for my age anyway, but after restoring some hair it seems like I've been blessed with something beyond anything I could have hoped for.

My visit to Dr. Shapiro was quite routine. No surprises, other than the fact that he is very personable and likeable. He give lots of attention to his patients. All of the staff are attentive and friendly.

I experienced absolutely no pain, other than a few needle pricks. I've had worse pain than that getting my teeth cleaned. I actually fell asleep once in the afternoon while work was still in progress.

The scar in the donor area is so slight that it is not even something that enters my mind. Ever. I even cut my hair very short all over to make it match my new hair on top as it was coming in. Now it looks like a crew cut and still it has never been noticeable. I think the donor issue was the biggest surprise for me. It is simply amazing that it works as well as it does, but I am glad it does.

I am scheduled for a second session and I cannot wait. I want the next batch so I can fill in some thin spots in back, touch up the front hairline, and scatter some more throughout. I really think I will be happy with my look at that point. If not, I'll do a third, I know, without hesitation.

I'm glad I waited all those years and skipped the plug era and the scalp reduction era. Now at 49, I can enjoy a quality improvement that befits a man who finds himself single after 22 years married. Especially since I was separated against my will. The whole transplant thing is a little bit of a "thumbing of the nose", but good gosh, it sure feels good in more ways than just that.

To anyone who recently went through this, or to any prospective candidates, take heart. I'm here to tell you--it can go well. It can look good. It can seem like an answered prayer. I can't say enough good about it. Even my kids, who tried hard to talk me out of it beforehand, even they tell me how great it turned out.

Cliff Smith (yea, it's my real name)

I had 2,000 FUs in August, 2001. I went to Dr. Shapiro because I could find nothing bad about him anywhere, and in fact, much good has been said about him. Now I am among those saying good things about him.

The top of my head has not looked this good since college. I'm 49 and I am beginning to feel like I am 29! I've always looked young for my age anyway, but after restoring some hair it seems like I've been blessed with something beyond anything I could have hoped for.

My visit to Dr. Shapiro was quite routine. No surprises, other than the fact that he is very personable and likeable. He give lots of attention to his patients. All of the staff are attentive and friendly.

I experienced absolutely no pain, other than a few needle pricks. I've had worse pain than that getting my teeth cleaned. I actually fell asleep once in the afternoon while work was still in progress.

The scar in the donor area is so slight that it is not even something that enters my mind. Ever. I even cut my hair very short all over to make it match my new hair on top as it was coming in. Now it looks like a crew cut and still it has never been noticeable. I think the donor issue was the biggest surprise for me. It is simply amazing that it works as well as it does, but I am glad it does.

I am scheduled for a second session and I cannot wait. I want the next batch so I can fill in some thin spots in back, touch up the front hairline, and scatter some more throughout. I really think I will be happy with my look at that point. If not, I'll do a third, I know, without hesitation.

I'm glad I waited all those years and skipped the plug era and the scalp reduction era. Now at 49, I can enjoy a quality improvement that befits a man who finds himself single after 22 years married. Especially since I was separated against my will. The whole transplant thing is a little bit of a "thumbing of the nose", but good gosh, it sure feels good in more ways than just that.

To anyone who recently went through this, or to any prospective candidates, take heart. I'm here to tell you--it can go well. It can look good. It can seem like an answered prayer. I can't say enough good about it. Even my kids, who tried hard to talk me out of it beforehand, even they tell me how great it turned out.

Cliff Smith (yea, it's my real name)

Good for you cliff. I have heard only good things about dr Shapiro as well. I was wondering if you had any swelling from the procedure. Could you let me know if you were given any methylprednisone tablets prior to the procedure and also afterwards.

I am trying to find out if there is an association between steroids and improvement in HT post op swelling.

Thank you,

al

Very little swelling Al. And I did not have the steroid either, before or after. I think the only swelling was jist along the top of my forehead, maybe 3/4 inch band below the new lower line of the new FUs. But it was subtle and not even noticeable without studying it very closely. My opinion is that the application of ice makes a difference because I was pretty good about doing that. I didn't skip that step very often the first couple of days.

Are you a veteran? If so, did you swell badly? And who did your HT? Will you do more?

Cliff

Thanks for your response cliff,

Yes, i just had 800 done at Bosely, mostly to build the fromtal density, behind my original hairline. Although I was satisfied with their work, I am reaching the conclusion that for an aesthetically demanding jon like building the hair line, some of the other surgeons would do a much better job and at amuch more reasonable price. I was given steroids and did not have any swelling whatsoever. Giving anti-inflammatory medications prior to the procedure does not seem to be the norm, and I was trying to see if there is an actual benefit to that. And, I know that I will need more procedures as the hair loss progresses in the future.

Sincerely,

al

Hey Al,

Best of luck on your 800 at the hairline. Sounds like you did not need as much transplanting as I did. I looked just about like Pat's before pictures, before I went to Dr. Shapiro.

One thing I think I remember now about your story, though I'm not sure--it may have been someone else, is I was astounded at the cost of your procedure. I think the amount was 8 or 9 per graft?

But I must say, when it comes to we "HT'ees", the money really takes a back seat to the results. If your 800 grow in and look great, and heck, you had no swelling so that's a good sign already, and if you are pleased with the growth, where's the problem, huh? But I would think about looking around at some other surgeons before getting your next procedure. I think you could do well to get as many or more FUs, just as well placed, for perhaps half the cost.

It is interesting that you had no swelling. Did you use ice as well? How are your grafts looking now? Is everything going along as it should?

Regardless, it is a good feeling having had it done and behind you isn't it? I'm so glad I did it, I simply cannot think of anything I could have spent the money on that would have given as much satisfaction. Except perhaps charity or such. But I try to do that as well! That helps with the guilt I guess!

Good talking to ya.

Cliff

Hi all,

I had 2800 FU's on Feb 4th. Today is Feb 10th and my eyes are still so swollen you'd think I was in a boxing match. Is this ever going to go away?? I iced more than you can imagine, starting the night of surgery. I'm still icing. Given the posts I've seen on this site, I'd have to day I'm just one of those soft tissue, unlucky ones. My swelling didn't start until the third day after surgery, but boy when it started, it started.

I'd like to be able to go to the store or someting, but not looking like this.

Hey Mid,

Sorry about all that swelling. I wonder whether it is because of the large number of FUs--2,800 is the largest number I've ever heard of.

Who did your surgery? Did you say you DID use steroids?

Did the 2,800 cover your entire head, or was the crown left alone, as in my case?

I guess the way to get through this is to just think of the benefit to come. You will heal and it will get better. And believe me, as the hair begins to grow in, you will be estatic.

Is there any discomfort along with the swelling?

Hope you begin to improve soon. It must be awful to be couped up like that.

Cliff

Hey C.C.

The majority of the 2800 FU's were up front, to fix some 10 year old plugs and then gradually move back toward the crown. Very little at this time on the crown. Matter of fact Dr. Harris does not like doing the crown unless there's plenty of donors. I doubt I will ever have that area done.

Dr. James Harris in CO did my surgery. I've never been to Shapiro's office, but Dr. Harris office sounds exactly the same. Large staff, microscopes were used for the FU's etc. The reason we did 2800 was because he has the staff to do it. Still, it took all day. Lots of little FU's to insert. Dr. Harris made all the recipient inserts.

The donor section was from ear to ear (for 2800). The areas around the ear is where most of the swelling has occurred and is still very tender. It moved to my eyes as mentioned.

I did not have any steriods (wish I did at this point). The post op instructions and hand outs said to use ice...which I have.

I still have trouble sleeping on my back at night. After several hours of pressure on the donor area it starts to throb and wakes me up.

Its been six days, there were alot of FU's which means a larger donor strip...so I guess I should have expected this. But you know, when reading on this web site, and hearing how easier it seemed, I just had different expectations.

I've purposely took two weeks at home away from work for the healing process. Went shopping for two weeks and everything. Seems as though, for me at least, I underestimated.

Oh well, at least I have the olympics to keep me occupied.

midnite